BBC4 - Bulgaria's Abandoned Children

For educational and documentary series, from History Channel, National Geographic, etc.
Pavy Crevis

Post by Pavy Crevis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Aired: 13th September 2007

Information
Main programme site / To read viewers comments, and add your own / The Production Team's letter to the Ambassador / The Ambassadors reply to the letter

Director Kate Blewett visits a children's care home in Bulgaria and investigates the conditions in which the children live.
The Social Care Home - where 75 unwanted children are growing up - is the main employer in the small village of Mogilino. Few of the children can talk, not necessarily because they are unable but rather because no one has ever taught them how.

Kate meets the children in this tragic, silent world, such as Milan, the gentle giant who spends his days doing chores and watching over the others, and mildly autistic 18-year-old Didi, who is able to talk, and has plenty to say, but no one to speak to. The children that surround them suffer a variety of problems, many are blind or deaf and some are unable to leave their beds, many are literally wasting away.

Abandoned into the hands of the staff at Mogilino these children inhabit a bleak uncaring world, so devoid of normal everyday stimulus that many have taken to rocking slowly and constantly in their chairs just for something to do.

Bulgaria has more institutionalised mentally and physically disabled children than anywhere else in Europe. This film is a heart-rending and eye-opening look into the life of one such institution.
Update
Bulgaria's Abandoned Children has yet to be shown on Bulgarian television, but the programme has been mentioned in the country's media and has provoked a lot of debate. The Director of the care home featured in the documentary, and her deputy, are on indefinite leave.

The Bulgarian government has given permission to a group led by the film's director, Kate Blewett, permission to remove the children from the home in Mogilino and into a new building in the town of Ruse. She and a team of volunteers are monitoring how the children are doing and hope to step in with respite care until the children can be moved.
Daily Telegraph Review:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... 14last.xml

Anyone familiar with the Romanian orphanage scandals of the early Nineties will have stared in shocked disbelief that nearly 20 years on precisely the same pattern of appalling cruelty and neglect is being repeated in another former Communist state. The chief difference is that Bulgaria is already a member of the European Union.

Blewett’s best-known film The Dying Rooms exposed the systematic “neglect unto death” policies operated in Chinese orphanages. Here she filmed for nine months at a “social care home” for physically and mentally disabled children in northern Bulgaria.

It is no exaggeration to say that most domestic animals are treated better than these unfortunate boys and girls, who get little treatment and no education or stimulation, and are condemned to rock silently and slowly waste away in body and mind. At times it was impossible to believe the cynicism of the staff. At others, it was impossible not to turn away from the pain and suffering on display. Nothing on television this year has brought me closer to tears.

Technical Specs
Video Codec: XviD
Video Bitrate: 962 kb/s
Video Resolution: 640x352
Video Aspect Ratio: 1.818:1
Audio Codec: MP3
Audio BitRate: 128 kb/s VBR
Audio Channels: 2
RunTime: 1:29:00
Captured By: unknown (UKNova torrent)

Bulgaria's Abandoned Children.avi  [699.71 Mb]

voetsak
Donator
Donator

Post by voetsak » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:32 am

Pavy, thank you for the orphanage story...I've read about it, i don't know if i want to see it...shame, those poor little kids.
of course i will watch it, but it'll make me so sad.
xxx

Pavy Crevis

Post by Pavy Crevis » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:44 am

I've watched documentaries that have left me believing that I've seen how bad this world can get. Bulgaria's Abandoned Children showed that it can get much worse. It is by far the hardest documentary I've ever watched. I felt a mixture of anger and sadness throughout which made holding back tears nigh on impossible.

voetsak
Donator
Donator

Post by voetsak » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:33 am

i'll be back to reply when i've seen it, pavy. :(

Mr. Fido

Post by Mr. Fido » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:36 am

Pavy Crevis wrote:I've watched documentaries that have left me believing that I've seen how bad this world can get. Bulgaria's Abandoned Children showed that it can get much worse. It is by far the hardest documentary I've ever watched. I felt a mixture of anger and sadness throughout which made holding back tears nigh on impossible.
I'm downloading it too...

Pavy Crevis

Post by Pavy Crevis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:04 pm

voetsak wrote:i'll be back to reply when i've seen it, pavy. :(
Thanks.
Mr. Fido wrote:I'm downloading it too...
It would be nice to hear your thoughts about the programme Mr Fido.

voetsak
Donator
Donator

Post by voetsak » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:47 pm

I've seen "Bulgaria's Abandoned Children"
Pavy, I am so horrified. I couldn't watch it all through without having a break. I couldn't take too much at a time! This is the saddest, most disturbing story, I've seen. We can't just say "Something should be done about it" and expect things to change. It has to be only one of hundreds of such places just like it, around the world. Specially in poor countries, and 3rd world communities.
I wonder what Mr. Fido thinks...he has such a kind, soft heart.
Thanks for sharing this ...I wont forget what I saw.

Pavy Crevis

Post by Pavy Crevis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:27 pm

voetsak wrote:I've seen "Bulgaria's Abandoned Children"
Pavy, I am so horrified. I couldn't watch it all through without having a break. I couldn't take too much at a time! This is the saddest, most disturbing story, I've seen. We can't just say "Something should be done about it" and expect things to change. It has to be only one of hundreds of such places just like it, around the world. Specially in poor countries, and 3rd world communities.
I wonder what Mr. Fido thinks...he has such a kind, soft heart.
Thanks for sharing this ...I wont forget what I saw.
It'll be shown in Bulgaria soon and I hope it has a great impact there.

Mr. Fido

Post by Mr. Fido » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 am

Pavy Crevis wrote:It would be nice to hear your thoughts about the programme Mr Fido.
I couldn't even watch it. I started it and I couldn't take it. I can't stand seeing little kids in that situation (or kids with incurable diseases like cancer). Thanks but this is too much for me. :(

NeHarawa

Post by NeHarawa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:40 am

will check this out , thank you

Return to “Educational”