Video converting software that uses full resorces of computer

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
kggf
Donator
Donator

Video converting software that uses full resorces of computer

Post by kggf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi all,

Looking for video software that can convert MKV files to AVI in windows 7, but I want the software to run unrestricted using full resources of the computer. The software I have at the moment seems to only use one section of the processor when its a quad core and I feel the computer is not using its full capacity to quickly convert videos. At night the computer is completely free and all its resources are being waisted. I need video files converted to normal XviD codec that can run on anything.

Equalizer
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Re: Video converting software that uses full resorces of computer

Post by Equalizer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:11 pm

I think you will find that the restriction is not the processor, but the through put of the hard drive. Processors can perform re-encoding faster than hard drives can read and write the data back, unless you have solid state drives ;)

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:19 pm

How about this:
(3) Any.DVD.Converter.Professional.v4.3.2 - sharethefiles.com
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=216566

In Options => General it has:
Process & Thread

Process priority -- Here you can choose the Any DVD Converter Pro's process priority. There are Idle, Below Normal, Normal, Above Normal, High and Realtime for you to choose.

Number of threads to use for encoding -- You can choose the number of threads you use to encode the video. The more threads you use, the more CPU the program will use to convert the video and the conversion procedure's speed will be faster.

GPU Acceleration

Support for NVIDIA CUDA technology delivers a 5X faster performance in processing and leverages the power of the GPU to the maximum and produces faster result.

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 am

Will... refresh my memory... wasn't there something 'bad' about the Megahertz releases? For some reason, I seem to recall something about inadvertent spam or malware in them being added by the releasers...?

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:14 am

LordDan wrote:Will... refresh my memory... wasn't there something 'bad' about the Megahertz releases? For some reason, I seem to recall something about inadvertent spam or malware in them being added by the releasers...?

LordDan
Just get the IaHQ76 release and use that or you can update over it with latest release from Any DVD web site.

Version Update of Any DVD Converter Professional
http://www.any-video-converter.com/prod ... hatnew.php

qik5l
Donator
Donator

Post by qik5l » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 am

AVS Video Converter uses all processors, Handbrake if you want MP4.

kggf
Donator
Donator

Post by kggf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

Equalizer wrote:I think you will find that the restriction is not the processor, but the through put of the hard drive. Processors can perform re-encoding faster than hard drives can read and write the data back, unless you have solid state drives ;)
No its not the hard drive, I've used a USB drive and I can see the drive activity light only flickers every 3 to 4 seconds when its reading and writing. Copying a file causes it to be on constantly and when I look at the hardware monitor it shows only one processor being used and not at full strength when converting. I even have the settings at full.

Thanks for the other posts, I'll look into them.

deadbodyman

Post by deadbodyman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 am

I use Avidemux. Works great for everything and you can choose the load on the CPU if you like.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

hpmmfs

Post by hpmmfs » Wed May 20, 2015 3:31 am

been playing around with handbrake and VLC. I must say that if you are doing mp4's, I can't see the need for anything more than what handbrake provides. there are plenty of good introductions to how to use it online. it took me a few hours to first, figure out which ones where best for me and, secondly to actually use it. But I am doing some mp4's of a DVD I own, that won't play on any other computer other than my very old acer (using a 1.6gz 4 core phenom, with a 4250 radeon mobile GPU, 8gigs ram) and it is doing a very good job. Basically, for the level quality I am looking for in my video files, it is taking about twice as long as the actual video would be. Which on a 5 year old laptop, is pretty good I think.
Learn to use the batch files for tv series or just ignore the whole batch file part for movies. compiled for Mac, Linux, Windows.
Therefor, my recommendation is:
Handbrake
Links:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

guide links:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide
https://mattgadient.com/2013/06/12/a-be ... ake-0-9-9/

PS: the file size is a little large at the moment, 24min anime, with both english and japanese dubs(ac3) and chinese/english subs , I am getting about 350 mbs. but the quality is honestly indistinguishable to my eye, from what is on the DVD, and the sound is impeccable to my ears.

hpmmfs

Post by hpmmfs » Wed May 20, 2015 7:29 am

also, I don't get why you want avi. but I know that handbrake can do avi too. I haven't tried it for that since even my very old dvd player can handle mp4. I suppose early 2000's decade dvd player's, especially low end, couldn't handle mp4 and avi would be the preferred at that point but if that old, you would be better off getting something a little more modern.
having said that; handbrake did use full capacity of my processor, I also just tried it on a i7 (2nd or 3rd generation, I think 2nd) and it was obviously using the video encoding hardware it had, so it was using the full resources available. I didn't downgrade to XviD or divx encoding, nor do I remember if handbrake had that ability (I would be surprised if it didn't), but it was able to handle the avi container.

That does bring another issue with what you originally posted. I think you are confusing XviD and avi. avi is the container. XviD is the encoding algorithm. avi is like mp4 and mkv. while XviD is like x264/x265. avi has a lot of limitations as a container. mp4 and matroska(mkv) are significantly better, mkv is more flexible but less supported than mp4.
Read the AVI wiki, it is very informative.
links for matroska/mp4/avi containers and explanations:
http://www.matroska.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

ADDED: and if you read the mpeg4 page I can see why the confusion for most people and why often, mp4 format is confused with encoding.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”