The LowID Clinic -- a support thread for LowID problems

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
TSM

Re: The LowID Clinic -- a support thread for LowID problems

Post by TSM » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 am

I had a strange experience yesterday morning (And no, it was not with the little woman ... we'll save those stories for another time).

When I got up the connection was a little sluggish and then the server suddenly disconnected.

It re-connected and I thought nothing of it.

But I noticed something (I'm not at my best that early) ... there were yellowed (low ID) clients downloading to me. Sure enough, I had a high ID. After several cartwheels ... or what passes for them at my age. I watched as my download speed slowly increased to my max of 200Kb.

I dutifully set off for work after that with a big smile on my face.

When I returned home, there was a nice big message in the middle of my screen ... Since I had re-installed AVG at your suggestion, it had done an update while I was gone and was now prompting me to re-boot my system ... or else. (You know how insistent they can be)

I re-booted and ... no high ID ever since.

My theories: either my ISP did something at their end that morning and I snuck in before all their protocols were in place or AVG is my problem. (I'm leaning towards my ISP as the source of my ills)

I still have not worked with the new information you have supplied above. I intend to do that today.

I did think that this new occurrence was important enough to mention before I did anything further though.

TSM

Post by TSM » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

Okay ... worked through disconnecting the router and the firewall ...

Nada ... Still no connection on that complete range of ports.

I guess it is the ISP.

:cry:

EzPimpinYa

Post by EzPimpinYa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 am

TSM wrote:Okay ... worked through disconnecting the router and the firewall ...

Nada ... Still no connection on that complete range of ports.

I guess it is the ISP.

:cry:
You had a HighID when you were connected to me a couple hours ago :?

TSM

Post by TSM » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Okay, that is freaky.

Either someone is spoofing me or eMule lies to me.

I have not seen those green arrows for a couple of days now.

I looked at my logs and I have had low IDs all along and I have been connected through TV Underground Server 1.

Kad started with a status of Firewalled and a UDPStatus of open but unverified. Then it went Firewalled on both.

RDGiant
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by RDGiant » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:37 pm

My teacher of Vedanta once said: "If you look for error, you find error."

I understand that eMule has very unfriendly application (config) for very friendly P2P networks (eD2K & Kad). Sometimes the easiest way is to blame the ISP: if we're suspicious of our ISPs, so maybe all we try is guided by this suspicion.

It's hard to believe that an ISP with thousands of customers risk its market share being a pain in the ass for all those same customers... blocking a lot of ports for many services (including P2P).

Anyway...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>TSM wrote @Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 am GMT:
"I had a strange experience yesterday morning..." [That means: Dec 02, 2010 morning]

"(low ID) clients downloading to me. Sure enough, I had a high ID..." [congratulations]

"When I returned home, there was a nice big message in the middle of my screen ... Since I had re-installed AVG at your suggestion, it had done an update while I was gone and was now prompting me to re-boot my system..." [That is normal]

"I re-booted and ... no high ID ever since... My theories: either my ISP did something at their end that morning and I snuck in before all their protocols were in place or AVG is my problem. (I'm leaning towards my ISP as the source of my ills)"

It would be a big coincidence: you snuck in before ISP protocols were in place, and AVG isn't your problem after a big update, don't you think? Did you check if AVG LinkScanner (or any other Internet monitoring software) was re-installed/re-activated after re-boot?

You got HighID for hours, for myself: it is NOT your ISP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>TSM wrote @Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am GMT: [7 hours later]
"worked through disconnecting the router and the firewall... Nada ... Still no connection on that complete range of ports."

If you're suspicious of AVG: did you disconnect the AVG as well? Did you test ports in eMule Options before connect eMule? What are the results?

>>EzPimpinYa wrote @Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 am GMT: [7 minutes later]
"You had a HighID when you were connected to me a couple hours ago" [That means: Dec 03, 2010 08:09 am GMT]

TSM, you got HighID again... are you sure what are you doing?

>>TSM wrote @Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:27 am GMT: [2 hours later]
"I have not seen those green arrows for a couple of days now..."

This is not the timing I got from your messages...

>>TSM wrote @Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:27 am GMT: [2 hours later]
"I looked at my logs and I have had low IDs all along and I have been connected through TV Underground Server 1... "

Did you test ports in eMule Options before connect eMule? What are the results? Did you try to connect "eDonkeyServer No2" (the best server to connect)? Did you work on the information (eMule config for work through disconnecting router and firewall) above?

TSM

Post by TSM » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Well, in answer to your question, YES, I have performed all the tests you outlined above including completely removing AVG, dropping the windows firewall and direct connect to the modem. In fact, I did it all twice just to be sure.

The results of the port test (Unconnected) were negative. As you know, not having a TCP connection disallows the other ports being tested.

I tried all servers multiple times after the unconnected test including eDonkey Server 2 (Which I had to manually load because it did not come down in the safe server list you supplied: http://en.emulehelp.com/server.met )

:boohoo I understand your reluctance to believe that an ISP would make a decision to cripple their system. The thing you have to remember about my location is that I am in Beijing. They tend to come down hard on ISPs that do not follow central government directives and there is essentially no legal system. Beijing is not pursuing file down-loaders because most wouldn't have the cash to justify an arrest re IP Rights. They can however force ISPs to conform to a rigid set of laws. After all, this is a country that imprisons people longer than some murderers in the USA for protesting that their water is being polluted.

That is not to say I don't appreciate everything you're doing for me. I remain guardedly optimistic that there may be a solution to this.

If there is one admirable thing I have learned from the Chinese it is that you struggle on and try to beat the system but always remain pessimistic about the outcome. It saves a lot of tears and disappointment.

I am getting what I want downloaded. I have a reasonably fast connection.

I just want to contribute more to the P2P network myself and think a high ID would help.

Political rant over. :boohoo

Where do we go from here? :D

As long as it does not involve tanks in Tiananmen, I'm your man. :karate

TSM

Post by TSM » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:56 am

I know ... I take more maintenance than a rich girlfriend from 'the Valley' ... Oh M'Gooood!'

I found on MAJOR Problem ... Idiot that I am, when I installed Windows 7 and then did the eMule software, I seem to have selected 'each user has own configuration'. So the changes that I have been making under the eMule config directory have not actually been detected by the system. Doh!

I have remedied this however but it has caused eMule to re-hash about 2000 files.

Once completed, I will work through all the above for the 3rd time and report back my findings.

Well, off to flog myself for being an idiot. :slapbot

RDGiant
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by RDGiant » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am

TSM, sorry for any inconvenience, but I am a new arrival in this forum, so...

>>TSM wrote:
"I understand your reluctance to believe that an ISP would make a decision to cripple their system. The thing you have to remember about my location is that I am in Beijing"

I couldn't remember that your location is Beijing - it is the first time I am reading this, and I did not checked the IP you gave.

Be careful if you are trying to make some P2P in CIA office at US Embassy in Beijing - probably they will arrest you for your cooperation to WikiLeaks.

Of course you right: some of my suggestions are applied mainly to Western countries (or at least, capitalist countries with free P2P networking infrastructure).

I was taken by the way you express yourself: if you are Chinese you have a good English, if you are an American you have a good English anyway, so please forgive me. Your IPs (58.31.0.1, 58.31.3.99) belongs to BEIJING GEHUA CATV NETWORK CO., LTD., No.35, N.HuaTuan Rd., Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C., isn't it?

Few years ago I was living in Wuhan (Hubei Province) for one year. The same period of an earthquake in Pacific nearby Taiwan destroyed the China & Taiwan undersea optical fiber backbone. If I correctly remind my experience there I can say:

A friend of mine (Chinese) translated a warning fixed with tape just above the Internet RJ-45 plug in the wall... the warning was saying: "P2P programs are forbidden" or something like that. I ripped off the warning from the wall and I said to my friend: "Not anymore... now I can use eMule". I was running eMule for months already when I understood the warning in my apartment. No monitoring issues from building admin, ISP or governemnt, they just left me alone.

UPnP worked sometimes behind the building router (set of routers per building, apartments had no modem). Sometimes when UPnP was not OK, I did a port scan over router IP with Advanced Port Scanner, Port Detective, etc. or I requested an external port scan with ShieldsUp from grc.com site. And chose new (open) ports.

The HighID/LowID status changed time by time. When I got LowID I disconnected and tried next lower-ping server. Sometimes I had to try 6 to 7 different servers to got HighID. (Servers with their own IPFilter refusing Chinese IPs connection?)

I noticed when the traffic on the building router was heavy (a lot of users up/downloading), was harder to get open ports, UPnP and HighID. I concluded that the router had a programming to react to heavy (upload) traffic typical of P2P activity. I studied the building traffic timing, and then I scheduled eMule for lower upload speeds. At that time the speed was 100 Mbps for near of 50 apartments. I set Max upload speed for eMule as half of 100 / 50 (or something like that).

During one month (time of the earthquake-broken backbone) I had interesting experience: China Internet was fully operational but I couldn't access any webserver outside China... the universities get concerned about one entire month without any update of some operating systems and related security software. I had to choose good Chinese DNS servers. Do it for you router (or computer if direct connection to Internet), it helps: I found many Chinese sites with lists of DNS servers, some of them not belonging to the Chinese government. DNS Servers control is the first stage of Internet control, they can easily block the search for unwanted sites (including P2P related).

I got HighID often IF I connected to a Chinese eD2K server. I can't help you with that now since I am not aware of Chinese server.met providers. The only thing I can say is that I gave you the most reliable. Your 58.31.x.x IPs are not in IPFilter so it is OK (58.32.x.x are in IPFilter).

I worked many times as LowID as well but at high speeds, no problem. Better than office, I tried eMule at office few times with no connection at all but I gave up, I was not looking for trouble with big Chinese company.

BTW, the same happened to me few months ago:
>>TSM wrote:
"I have remedied this however but it has caused eMule to re-hash about 2000 files."

... when I COPIED eMule v0.50a Xtreme 8.0... I do not install eMule versions, I just copy the new executables (exe, dll, etc.) and non-config files (jpg, hlp, txt,...) over the previous version... and for the first time the eMule decided re-hash 4500 files (it took half day long)... I lost 7 years history of upload requests/acceptance and original download date of all these files. It never happened with other versions no matter config I had.

I miss China so much... if you have a job for a laowai there... I'm your man.

TSM

Post by TSM » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:18 am

RDGiant wrote:I was taken by the way you express yourself: if you are Chinese you have a good English, if you are an American you have a good English anyway, so please forgive me. Your IPs (58.31.0.1, 58.31.3.99) belongs to BEIJING GEHUA CATV NETWORK CO., LTD., No.35, N.HuaTuan Rd., Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C., isn't it?
Bingo
RDGiant wrote:UPnP worked sometimes behind the building router (set of routers per building, apartments had no modem). Sometimes when UPnP was not OK, I did a port scan over router IP with Advanced Port Scanner, Port Detective, etc. or I requested an external port scan with ShieldsUp from grc.com site. And chose new (open) ports.

The HighID/LowID status changed time by time. When I got LowID I disconnected and tried next lower-ping server. Sometimes I had to try 6 to 7 different servers to got HighID. (Servers with their own IPFilter refusing Chinese IPs connection?)

I noticed when the traffic on the building router was heavy (a lot of users up/downloading), was harder to get open ports, UPnP and HighID. I concluded that the router had a programming to react to heavy (upload) traffic typical of P2P activity. I studied the building traffic timing, and then I scheduled eMule for lower upload speeds. At that time the speed was 100 Mbps for near of 50 apartments. I set Max upload speed for eMule as half of 100 / 50 (or something like that).
That was the connection before I upgraded to my cable connection however I remember my friend who works for Sohu saying that the government made an edict about a year and a half ago to shut down P2P in China. I think their approach is to do something that results in everyone having a Low ID... and as you know... eMule will not connect a Low ID to a Low ID.

Ironically, this is to protect the Chinese film industry. They don't give a rat's ass about the western film industry since our low IDs will connect to High IDs in the rest of the world.
RDGiant wrote:During one month (time of the earthquake-broken backbone) I had interesting experience: China Internet was fully operational but I couldn't access any webserver outside China... the universities get concerned about one entire month without any update of some operating systems and related security software. I had to choose good Chinese DNS servers. Do it for you router (or computer if direct connection to Internet), it helps: I found many Chinese sites with lists of DNS servers, some of them not belonging to the Chinese government. DNS Servers control is the first stage of Internet control, they can easily block the search for unwanted sites (including P2P related).
I am starting my 9th year here. I remember that.

Just last week, they got a little stringent with the hacker crowd and shut down about 50 organized hacker groups. I think this might have had something to do with the Google incident. Although it sounds like a 'conspiracy theory', this is a country where conspiracy theories are most often real. I put my money on there being a real hack from within China but NOT ot the hands of the government. (Or maybe it was and this is a smoke screen) I'll bet that as a face saving measure, the government made some concessions in secret.

None the less, I think it may be hard to find alternate DNS Servers. (Even if I did know what the Chinese would be for a DNS Search.
RDGiant wrote:I got HighID often IF I connected to a Chinese eD2K server. I can't help you with that now since I am not aware of Chinese server.met providers. The only thing I can say is that I gave you the most reliable. Your 58.31.x.x IPs are not in IPFilter so it is OK (58.32.x.x are in IPFilter).

I worked many times as LowID as well but at high speeds, no problem. Better than office, I tried eMule at office few times with no connection at all but I gave up, I was not looking for trouble with big Chinese company.
I am working between 100Kb and 200Kb on a Low ID. My problem is that a lot of the obscure files I am trying for are partially only available from Low ID sources. I have a lot of unfinished sources that won't budge because of my status.
RDGiant wrote:BTW, the same happened to me few months ago:
>>TSM wrote:
"I have remedied this however but it has caused eMule to re-hash about 2000 files."

... when I COPIED eMule v0.50a Xtreme 8.0... I do not install eMule versions, I just copy the new executables (exe, dll, etc.) and non-config files (jpg, hlp, txt,...) over the previous version... and for the first time the eMule decided re-hash 4500 files (it took half day long)... I lost 7 years history of upload requests/acceptance and original download date of all these files. It never happened with other versions no matter config I had.
I did that however due to my slip up with installing it to have each user use his personal directory, a lot of those files were ignored. (I went from 49c to 50a on emule then copied Xtreme 8 over the top ... then copied back my config files)

I ran for three weeks like this and THEN noticed the problem. eMule threw a fit and lost a drive when I redirected back to the Program Files version of the config directory. (Had to be my 2Tb one)

I since went forward and decided to do a rehash of them all ... at least all the ones I have live... all 4,200. (I'll deal with the other 1Tb on a peace meal basis when I get re-post requests)
RDGiant wrote:I miss China so much... if you have a job for a laowai there... I'm your man.
You couldn't take the cut in pay.

poison13
Donator
Donator

Post by poison13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

Hi all.Just a quick question.I have a pc which has emule 0.50a and i have high id on kad and servers.Just bought a laptop and connected on same internet connection but got low id on that.I installed the scarangel v4 and have turned off my firewall on windows7 but still says im firewalled and have low id.any ideas???
Thanks for any help :)

deadbodyman

Post by deadbodyman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:44 am

Have you tried installing and "running as admin" ?

Right Clickl>Run as Admin>Install.

Unless of coarse it is a binary version (as I remember using something like that once in the past) and then just simply Right Click>Run as Admin.

Just throwing out a suggestion. :-|

poison13
Donator
Donator

Post by poison13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 am

cheers dbm.tried it but no different.also uninstalled the scarangel version and installed 0.50a but still yellow arrows and low id.
my windows firewall is off and mcafee firewall is off also so no idea why im firewalled.
im usin same ports that are open on my pc and high id on that
cheers

Tex2002ans

Post by Tex2002ans » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 am

poison13 wrote:cheers dbm.tried it but no different.also uninstalled the scarangel version and installed 0.50a but still yellow arrows and low id.
my windows firewall is off and mcafee firewall is off also so no idea why im firewalled.
im usin same ports that are open on my pc and high id on that
cheers
You probably have a different IP. Example:

Your home PC: 192.168.1.100
Your laptop: 192.168.1.101

You have your router set to forward the ports for your PC IP, but not your laptop IP. Open up the command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" to see what IP your laptop is.

poison13
Donator
Donator

Post by poison13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:04 am

is that the IPv4 Address?if yes then yep they are different

poison13
Donator
Donator

Post by poison13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 pm

sorted now.yes my laptop had a different ip so i forwarded the ports to that ip aswel and its green and high id now.thanks for all your help peeps :D

Robbo7
Donator
Donator

Post by Robbo7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 am

Hi, how would I go about port forwarding. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I am only semi computer literate.
I have a PC that was originally set up with the router and some version of eMule (not sure which I hardly use the PC anymore) and a newer laptop.

I have eMule v050a and a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC router.

I was able to permit my firewall (thanks to this thread) and now I am properly connected to the Kad network which helped up my download speeds by 500%, but still I get low id for the ED2K network and servers. I input the standard recommended port numbers 4262, and 4272 but when I tested the ports nothing doing. And I wouldn't begin to know how to start to forward the ports.

would appreciate it very much if you could help.
thanks very much

poison13
Donator
Donator

Post by poison13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am

hi Robbo7.I used a site called portforward and it runs through everything you need in simple terms but to be honest if you have a good kad connection thats the main thing as lots of people dont even bother with servers.
hope this helps :)

Robbo7
Donator
Donator

Post by Robbo7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:12 pm

poison13 wrote:hi Robbo7.I used a site called portforward and it runs through everything you need in simple terms but to be honest if you have a good kad connection thats the main thing as lots of people dont even bother with servers.
cheers, will give it a go

Robbo7
Donator
Donator

Post by Robbo7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Robbo7 wrote:
poison13 wrote:hi Robbo7.I used a site called portforward and it runs through everything you need in simple terms but to be honest if you have a good kad connection thats the main thing as lots of people dont even bother with servers.
cheers, will give it a go
Weird, I have done just what I said in my earlier post but did not get around to port forwarding. And one day out of nowhere I got high ID. Maybe the port numbers and firewall were the only problem after all.
Anyway, thanks poison 13.

yairs
Donator
Donator

Post by yairs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Problem solved!!

I made a system restore point a few days ago, so I went back in time to see if my emule and FW get along for a change(:
and they actually DID!
(kinda)
So in the end it seems I was using the Comodo "firewall" mode and not the "internet security" mode. The emule rules were exactly the same, but the firewall's "global" rules are different. anyways it works now. not the edonkey server no2 though - that one still disconnects after a few minutes, but as you mentioned earlier, this is its normal behavior these days..
"Share islands" also gave me similar disconnections, but PEERATES.NET goes smooth at least for the last 6 hours, so I'll stick with what works(:

Thanks for your support, and I hope my mule will have a long and healthy life, yours too(:

stileche
Donator
Donator

Post by stileche » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 am

I dont know if this will help anyone, but Ive had lowid issues with my new computer. This time we had some people come stay with us and they connected 4 different devices to our wifi, and even though Ive got a specific IP address assigned to mine, somehow there was a conflict and in my internet connection properties all the information had gone back to "detect automatically". So I still had a connection but low id. I changed these back, and using Windows 7 there is something strange that has happened twice. The gateway address had disappeared and even though I had put all the info in correctly, I had to go back into properties to put this value back in. Now back to high id.

Laudrup

Post by Laudrup » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Just wanted to say thanks thanks for the great lowid related tutorials - I finally managed to crack the nut this morning. I assume a bunch of the contributing writers are doing clinic hours, so thought I would post my gratitude here.

Cheers

zeusin1066

Post by zeusin1066 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 pm

i recently got vpntunnel but now i got low id and cant find how to setup to get hi id again any help be appreciated.
i have windows 7 64 bit, emule version 0.50a and router is bthomehub no matter what i try it just gets low id i had no trouble before i had always a hi id before i started to use vpn tunnel.

.:jOe:.
Donator
Donator

Post by .:jOe:. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 am

Don't turn your firewall off, just go into its settings and open the ports you need

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm

wrestling3 wrote:Hey guys, wish I could be more specific with some info, but any help is appreciated

4) I am not sure how to confirm this but I believe logging in with the router is not the problem
Can you connect the Internet cable from the Router directly into your computer or is that not possible with FIOS?

also, I take it you have done this:
Start (Windows XP) > Control Panel > Windows Firewall | Firewall On with "don't allow exceptions" disabled (unchecked) | Exceptions tab has eMule in it and it is allowed (checked)

demonwizz

Post by demonwizz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

How To Make P2P Programs to Work on Networks Using a Broadband Router (emule is taken for example)
Page 1 - 3 is example for emule & windows xp firewall, page 4 & 5 are for forwarding ports on router D-Link DI-524.
Explained very well with screenshots for each step.

demonwizz

Post by demonwizz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Do you have another pc connected to router ?

Open command prompt and write "ip config/all" to see all ip addresses on your pc / second pc.

Check ip address of your pc network adapter or adapters (if you have more than one).

I think that usb network adapter is problem because it doesn't appear in network connections page.
There must be some kind of conflict.

If you have two or more computers than each pc need different static ip address.
And ports in router need to be routed (assigned) to specific pc.
wrestling3 wrote:I have tried turning off the firewall and then trying emule, it does not help the ID.

I believe I have the usb network card plugged in, but it does not appear on my network connections page.

Merkabah
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Merkabah » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 am

Hi, i used to get low id on emule for like years until one day i decided to play around with settings. Tools ===> emule first time run wizard===>next===> leave your alias as is no ticks===>next leave tcp and udp===> click===>Use UpnP to setup Ports. you must let pc fully boot and settle before starting emule and once you use UpnP to setup Ports
it will say succesfull or fail if fail exit emule let pc sit bit longer then redo it again and hopefully it should work everytime like it does for me. i have same isp since low id for years. hope it helps I used norton internet security and check firewall allows access to program on windows and norton firewall. No more low id for me ever :). i used to get max 3-4 kbs now max total is almost 1mbs (cable)not saying this is what you will get, it will increase heaps.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”