The LowID Clinic -- a support thread for LowID problems

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

The LowID Clinic -- a support thread for LowID problems

Post by soporific » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:13 am

Hi there,

I am always distressed to hear that people are 'suffering' with their emule connections always failing to achieve a HighID, ie they try to file share using emule with a LowID. Having a low ID does not mean that no upload or download is possible, but it has several disadvantages:
1) No IP is known of the machine eMule is running on, therefore all requests, like queue or connection requests to this client, have to be routed over the server the low ID client is connected to. This routing causes considerable amount of CPU load on the server, thus reducing the maximum number of users the server can cope with. Lugdunum’s servers limit the number of low ID users, or even ban all of them.
2) Two clients with low ID cannot connect to each other, as it is not possible to route messages over two different servers. This will lead to less sources for the downloads.
3) On busy servers it may well happen that the messages get lost and eMule misses important information about queue progression or download requests. This may lead to fewer credits and worse downloads.

So its in the best interests of all emule users to help those with lowIDs get HighIDs.

It is not my intention to re-invent the wheel. For those who are having problems, your first port of call is the tutorial on troubleshooting emule problems, which contains an entire section on how to diagnose and fix lowID problems.

Please visit the tutorial here:
http://sharethefiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66859#1

Also, visit the help section of the official emule site:
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1

However, sometimes people need more help, as evidenced by the number of threads with lowID in the title. There's been quite a few recently. I have had lots of experience helping people with this (and i'm sure there's others as well), and i offer my services to any or all that need help.

The aim of this thread is to provide a place for solutions to fixing LowID problems to be collected in the one place. It is my intention to continually revise this first post, collecting and organising all the tips and information about how to go about fixing your lowID problems.

When you post your problem, please include the following information:

1) which version of emule you are using, especially if it is a mod version.
2) your type of internet connection, and model & type of modem. It is imperative you know if you are connected to the internet via a router, or via a modem (whether its a broadband modem, or dial-up). If you don't know this information, it is going to be very hard to help you.
3) your operating system, and a list of all 'security' applications - eg firewalls or 'total internet security' type apps. You generally don't need to list malware programs like "Spybot - Search & Destroy" or anti-virus programs but if in doubt list them all.
4) confirm if you can or cannot log in to your router (if you have one). If you can't log in (or haven't ever done so), this is why you haven't got a HighID. Concentrate on this step if this is the case. If you can't log in, don't worry about anything else, fix this first. We can help you with this, just inform us you can't log in.
5) what you have already done to try to achieve a HighID.
6) most important: please confirm you have visited the Tutorial post (see above) and try to describe where you got up to, or how the tutorial failed to help you. This way we can improve the tutorial and maybe stop the need for threads like these.
7) anything else you consider relevant.
8) please report the result you get from the 'Test ports' feature in emule options (the connection tab)

and so...

The LowID clinic is currently open.

the following is the collected wisdom of advice to previous patients, last updated on 12th February 2010.

The current list of things to check:

The very first thing you should do is reboot or power-cycle your modem if you haven't already tried that. Power-cycling simply means turning the modem off, waiting 20 seconds and then turning it back on. Modems can be quite twitchy -- an entire South Park episode revolved around this -- its a strange but true fact that 95% of problems are resolved by rebooting the modem. Do this first, and check if your issues still exist. If so, keep reading...

1) testing for HighID: the best method is to use the 'test Ports' feature of Emule. This can be found in emule options, the Connection tab: you should see two fields where you can enter what TCP and UDP ports you want to use. And right next to them is the 'Test ports' button. Both the TCP and UDP settings need to pass to get a HighID. Just because you get a pass once, it doesn't mean you will always pass. If you are having problems, check regularly and if you aren't passing then you know where the problem lies. If you ARE passing every time you can rule out problems that relate to port forwarding issues.

2) use the default ports: until you achieve a HighID, i recommend using the default ports which are 4662 for TCP and 4672 for UDP. It is possible that the reason you can't get a HighID is because you are using the default ports (and this means your ISP is trying to block emule --- change ISPs!) but this is rare in my experience so try the default ports first. As soon as you get a HighID for the first time, then change the default ports if you want, but until you have worked out the problem, i recommend using the default port numbers.

3) if you are trying to set up emule on 2 different computers which both use the same internet connection (ie via a router or similar), you need to set different port numbers and forward both sets of ports in your router.

4) make sure your firewall isn't causing the problem: this is relatively easy to check, most firewalls have an easy way to turn the firewall off (or disabling) so you can check if that was the problem. In my experience, it is very rarely the cause of the problem, so get this out of the way early and then focus on other possible sources. ie turn off the firewall, and then use the 'test ports' function in emule.

5) emule at your workplace: this is very very likely to be impossible, and most likely to be not worth the risk/hassle. Please advise if you are experiencing your lowID problems at work, because most likely i can't help you. It still may be possible, i'm just warning here ...

6) understanding your router/broadband modem: please advise if you find your router/broadband modem confusing or hard to understand --- in my experience, some people have said they have "done the port forwarding" when in fact they haven't. Swallow your pride and advise if this is the case. Many many moons ago back in my day, routers were simple things and easy to configure. These days they come with so many features it can get bewildering. There are also different names for 'port forwarding', for example, my router calls it "Virtual servers" --- you may need to make sense of your modems setting names.

7) Use UPnP: Universal Plug n Play (UPnP) is a feature that may save your butt when all else fails. In the same place as the 'test ports' feature in emule, is a setting to "use UPnP to setup ports" --- first, your computer needs to have UPnP enabled. You can find it in your list of Services (go to Administrative tools). Please check to see that it is enabled because some programs (eg TuneUp Utilities) consider it a security risk (which is a valid concern) and disable it. Please see the 3rd post in this thread for instructions on how to turn it on if you don't know how to check. PLEASE NOTE: it is possible to FAIL the "test ports" function, but still get a HighID because UPnP comes to the rescue. In my experience, this happens quite a lot -- ie someone is having problems which disappear once they start using UPnP. In this case, try to connect to a commonly used server (i would try DonkeyServer no2 or no3) and see if you connect with a HighID. Having said that UPnP could save the day, you still should try to work out how to get a HighID WITHOUT using UPnP --- basically, if you are resorting to UPnP to get a HighID, you aren't in control of your router/modem! In my experience, that is ... :)

8) for those with broadband modem/routers, a common mistake is to set your 'port forwarding' settings wrong. There is a sure fire way to make sure you get this right, so follow these steps:
...a... use the IPCONFIG command to show you all your connected network adapters, and this will tell you two things: your PC's LAN address, and also the address of your router. To do this click START -> RUN and in the RUN dialog box, type CMD (and press enter) which will open up a DOS box and this is where you type IPCONFIG
here's a screenshot:

...b... OK lets identify what the screenshot is showing us:

-- the IP address is 10.0.0.9 --- this is the PC's LAN address. This is the address you use in port forwarding. You need to tell the router where to send stuff coming in on the port you want to use. So you need the PC's LAN address.
-- the gateway address is 10.0.0.2 ---- this is the modem/router's address. Think of it like this: why would the modem need to know its own address when setting port forwarding settings? This is an easy way to remember NOT to use this address for your port forwarding settings because it doesn't make sense. However, this is the mistake that some people are making, so this is a sure fire way to avoid it.
-- if you have more than one network adapter, AND you have two or more entries that have an entry for the "Default Gateway" you need to determine which one is your internet connection. You can determine this a number of ways but an easy way is to check is to type the gateway address into your browser and one of them should bring up the login for your modem. The one that does this is the one you want.

...c... Setting your rules. You will need to set two rules: one for TCP and one for UDP. Choose a port number (if the default ports 4662 and 4672 work then use them) and don't forget to ensure it corresponds with the port numbers you set in emule. Some routers ask you for a starting port and finish port. Just use the same number and assign it to TCP and then do it again for UDP but use a different port number to the TCP port number.

...d... that's it, you should have successfully avoided setting your port forwarding settings wrong. :karate

9) become buddies with your router or router/modem (if you have one). If you're not regularly logging into it and checking out how things are, you aren't going to have much luck fixing problems when emule suddenly doesn't work. So, if you can't log in to your router, you need to tell us this because that is what we will focus on to help you. Logging into your router is simple. Use the method in point 8 to do this. You will need to know the username and password of your router. 99% of the time you will be able to use 'admin' for the username and 'admin' for the password if you haven't changed it from the default. Sometimes the password is 'password' so try that if 'admin' doesn't work. This is a security risk if you haven't changed it so i recommend doing this ASAP. The most common things to do once you've logged in are:
* check the line connection is in SYNC (you can see your signal-to-noise connection ratio)
* check that you are connected to the net (you can see your IP address)
* check the current list of forwarded ports
* do a self-test on the router to see if it reports any faults
* and other useful things as well.

So, please remember to tell us if you can't log in to your router.

10) visit this site: http://www.portforward.com/

- even if you don't have a router in the mix, visit anyway as there's heaps of really good info.

11) turn off the firewall in your Internet Security application! Even if you have set rules to allow emule to send and receive which will allow you to get a high ID, sometimes your connection is still affected by other things to do with the 'extra' firewall you have. So, if you think you should be uploading more than you are, or you don't see as many servers as you normally can, try turning off the firewall for a long period of time to see if that helps at all. NOD32 Internet Security is an example of an application that may be causing problems due to the firewall. Just turn it off and use Windows firewall instead.

12) If you have a router, try enabling DMZ
http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_135641582.jpg
Last edited by soporific on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:03 am, edited 17 times in total.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 am

To all my new patients, please see the first post for things to try to fix your problem as i have collated all information we've collected so far. Please reply with any additional info and i will try to help you out.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 pm

OK this is the list of people who are still needing help, please say if you are now fine:

seggers
ed2kuser
dookie311
orion1983

General Help:

emule is good in that setting it up properly does expose you to the inner workings of your network setup. Emule was designed to be efficient with data transfer and so uses the UDP protocol which is much more efficient than TCP. This is the reason behind the punishment of being branded with a LowID. Everyone's computer is already set up to use TCP, but UDP isn't. This is why we need to manually open a port dedicated to UDP transfer. So, there's 2 sources of LowIDs -- your router isn't configured to allow UDP communication from the outside world to be able to even see your computer, and then once it is configured, then its possible the security programs you have installed are blocking them as well. I've taken the time to explain all this so as to help you as much as possible make sense of what 'settings' you encounter in your various security apps. You should be able to follow the signal path from the moment it enters your house via cable or telephone line thru whatever devices you have and whatever software apps you have, and do this correctly! Ok, to more specific help:

Seggers: please try to get a highID with emule first, and then return to using Shareaza. I don't know crap about shareaza.

ed2kuser:
i'm not such an expert on KAD firewalling but i'll try to help regardless... i used to have this problem a bit, but it was always connected to problems with server LowIDs -- although i do remember a small spell where i always got server green, but KAD yellow (that's what you're seeing right?) ... pls confirm that you are still able to get a consistent HighID with the few remaining servers still standing (its at 30 in total -- i remember the days we were getting 130-140!)

Dookie: see how you go with Tex2002's help and report back please.

orion1983 - we gotta set up your router (or at least check it) -- your modem is rather hard to find documentation on, please check out the Support page on the official emule website and have a look at the instructions for the other modems listed there. This is probably the best bet if you don't have access to an english copy of the manual for the modem. It's a German brand i take it.

Special thanks to Tex2002ans for helping out with support but thanks to all who posted, the body of lore grows larger.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:55 pm

sorry, first type in CMD in the RUN window (and hit return), and then you can use IPCONFIG

baroni061241

LOW ID

Post by baroni061241 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I am running eMule ver 48a on win/xp sp2 + all fixes, Norton internet security 2007, i have a Thompson cable modem NO router.

until a few days ago i had no problems of LowId, since than there is no way to get a highid, even though is i use the Test ports function a get a positive
resoult.

I checked everything i could think of, and still i get lowid.

Any ideas?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: LOW ID

Post by soporific » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:15 pm

baroni061241@yahoo.com wrote:I am running eMule ver 48a on win/xp sp2 + all fixes, Norton internet security 2007, i have a Thompson cable modem NO router.

until a few days ago i had no problems of LowId, since than there is no way to get a highid, even though is i use the Test ports function a get a positive
resoult.

I checked everything i could think of, and still i get lowid.

Any ideas?
so, when you use the Test Ports function in emule options, you get a pass ?? What servers are you trying to connect to? IF you get a pass with the tests, the problem isn't from your end, the problem is you can't connect to anyone good.

Also, if you use an ipfilter, try deleting it and see if it works then ... if not, just download a new updated ipfilter.

baroni061241

Post by baroni061241 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:11 pm

eMule 48a (NO MOD)

2) your type of internet connection, and model & type of modem. It is imperative you know if you are connected to the internet via a router, or via a modem (whether its a broadband modem, or dial-up). If you don't know this information, it is going to be very hard to help you.
CABLE CONNECTION , THOMSON CABLE MODEM, NO ROUTER

3) your operating system, and a list of all 'security' applications - eg firewalls or 'total internet security' type apps. You generally don't need to list malware programs like "Spybot - Search & Destroy" or anti-virus programs but if in doubt list them all.
WIN XP SP2 + ALL THE HOTFIXES, NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007
4) what you have already done to try to achieve a HighID.
TRYED BOTH WITH AND WITHOUT FIREWALL.
TRYED ALL AVAILABLE SERVERS

5) most important: please confirm you have visited the Tutorial post (see above) and try to describe where you got up to, or how the tutorial failed to help you. This way we can improve the tutorial and maybe stop the need for threads like these.
THE TUTORIAL IS EXCELENT BUT DID NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM

6) anything else you consider relevant.
1. MY CONFIGURATION WAS RUNNING AT HIGHID FOR THE PAST YEAR.
2. MY PORTS ARE REPORTED AS OPEN BY THE TEST IN THE "OPTIONS" MENU
3. AS I MENTIONED ABOVE DISABLING THE FIREWALL DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM

darklittlecorner
Banned

Post by darklittlecorner » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 am

There might be someone in the same boat as me, so I thought that I would post this.

When I first started using eMule, I had noticed that I had low ID, but I paid it no mind. After all I was still able to download movies, right? As I became a more serious user, I wanted to rid myself of this low ID and get High, ID that is.

So I followed the directions in the various guides but to no avail. My firewall and ports were already set. So I started playing around with my modem settings and to make a long story short this is what I did.

I have a Westell B90 series modem. First make sure that you have the latest drivers.

You type launchmodem in the address bar.

Choose Home Network

Click on IP Passthrough

Click enable

The modem will restart.

Enter your username and password.

When your internet connection connects close that browser window.

Then start eMule and you should have high ID.

I hope that this helps you if you have tried every other option, or if you are using a Westell modem.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:02 am

OK, here's a new bit of wisdom i'm adding to the list in the first post:

* become buddies with your router or router/modem. If you're not regularly logging into it and checking out how things are, you aren't going to have much luck fixing problems when emule suddenly doesn't work. So, if you can't log in to your router, you need to tell us this because that is what we will focus on to help you. Logging into your router is simple. Use the method in point 8 (of the first post) to do this. You will need to know the username and password of your router. 99% of the time you will be able to use 'admin' for the username and 'admin' for the password if you haven't changed it from the default. Sometimes the password is 'password' so try that if 'admin' doesn't work. This is a security risk if you haven't changed it so i recommend doing this ASAP. The most common things to do once you've logged in are: * check the line connection is in SYNC (you can see your signal-to-noise connection ratio); * check that you are connected to the net (you can see your IP address); * check the current list of forwarded ports; * do a self-test on the router to see if it reports any faults; * and other useful things as well. So, please remember to tell us if you can't log in to your router.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:28 pm

My goodness the clinic is busy, and we're in danger of losing patients. OK, i've devised another test you can all do that will help me diagnose your condition more precisely. It does involve a little work and it will take some time, but trust me, it will tell me heaps.

Essentially, i want you to learn how to use Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 to install a clean test version of Windows XP, install emule, configure your internet setting (if need) and then see if you still have problems. I just did a test then (using a pre-cooked VM build i use for just these occasions) and its easy to get a HighID very quickly. If you did all this and still had problems, we then know the problem should have nothing to do with any firewalls, settings, problems, errors, or whatever else could be preventing you to get a highID. We can then start suspecting that something is rotten with the state of the internet. If anyone actually wants to give this a go and needs more info, just say so. If you have access to VMWare you can use this as well. I use both.

meepers369: well, demonwizz is right about all your screenshots. This has got me stumped. I'm going to try to think up a new test for you to do that will tell us more. Let me get back to you ... in the meantime you should try the 'installing emule in a virtual machine' idea.

neonihilist: OK, no router means don't use UPnP in fact you should absolutely disable it in services. And you can forget port forwarding, sorry to confuse you, that only applies to routers in this case. Can you do the screenshots that meepers369 did, just for our peace of mind? When i see evidence like that, i can immediately discard any distracting thoughts like "they probably stuffed up their settings" and concentrate on other causes.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: screen shots

Post by soporific » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 am

neonihilist wrote:errr, ok I'm a fairly bright guy, I can figure out how to do screen shots..........

IPconfig

settings

emule screenshot

ready to go

as for the VirtualPC thing, I'm still doing some reading on it
Thanks for that, i'm going to work out a test for those without routers ASAP ... but am still scratching my head for more tests or things people can try. Has anyone been game to try the Virtual PC test?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:59 am

the reason the IP address changed is because your router can see a new MAC address for your computer. If you have made any changes to your hardware configuration recently, this is why the MAC address changed.

So what Tex told you to check first was right on the money. With him hanging around, who needs me? :)

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:26 am

if anyone else still needs help, please say something, i have some time to help ATM

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:08 am

Switching ISPs may work but you should try and find another person who lives in the same city as you do and see if they have the same probs with their ISP -- Then you will know for sure b4 signing up to a new ISP.

Another scenario is that the problems you are having has something to do with your PC. A way to make sure this ISN'T the case is to install a version of XP inside a Virtual Machine (VM) app. Don't install anything except emule, set it up, and try to use it. If you don't experience the same problems, then you KNOW its something to do with your current PC installation. I would re-install the OS if this is the case. if you DO still have the same issues, then you can rule out this scenario. I suggest this because if you change ISPs and still have the same probs, you aren't going to be very happy.

neli00, from what you've reported and all your posts, i think you have done all the right things which makes your decision to try another ISP a good one. You used to be able to connect without problems and then suddenly you got them. Also, you simply don't have any bandwidth! I don't think being able to upload at 90kbps is good enough to release anything big -- i've got my latest winborg out in 3 places, all with 100+ kbps uploads, and i consider that only *just* sufficient. Uploading at 8 kbps ? I would kill myself before trying to live with that.

Hope this helps you make the right decision.

dougieee

Re: the LowID support thread

Post by dougieee » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 pm

First time ever I have a low id problem :(
Ports all forwarded correctly passes tcp/udp test.
Buffalo router, nat disabled (tried using dmz to confirm its not a blocked port)
checked exceptions in firewall all is good, ive used emule for years with a high id have no idea what has changed

Tex2002ans

Post by Tex2002ans » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Never thought I would see the great dougieee here. :D

You pass the tcp/udp test but you still have Low ID? Weird. I would recommend deleting the rules you set in your firewall, and typing them in again. That might fix up the problem.

Crashst3r

Post by Crashst3r » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Have you tried the simplest things in just rebooting your router? or your pc.. That sometimes can fix any conflicts. If everythings forwarded correctly then dont change it. You might wanna only change your ports, an check to see if the ip you've directed connections are still current (192.168.0.1) or whatever your pc is recognised as on your router..

dougieee

Post by dougieee » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Crashst3r m8, the next reboot i do with my router will involve a 14 pound lump hammer and Tex m8 I am far from infallible :D

seriously though ive tried just about everything on this forum and others, im at the point now where I am dismantling my home network to see if that has in any way changed anything, as far as I can tell networking the 3 pc`s at home is the only thing that has changed since last time i logged on to e-mule

Crashst3r

Post by Crashst3r » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Ok well make sure the ip addy your using to open the ports to is directed to the main pc and not your other pc's. Have you tried unplugging your router an leaving it for a few mins orrrrrrr just having your main pc on the network then reboot your router..

Tex2002ans

Post by Tex2002ans » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 am

Yeah, perhaps your IP switched somehow. If that isn't the case then I would try restarting the router as Crasht3r has said. :D

Also, thanks for following the first post of the thread by posting all your information, you are setting a real example for everyone else to follow. :D hahaha

dougieee

Post by dougieee » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Disabled the home network and now its fine :?:

Apparently you need to change the default names of the network i.e. not MSHOME (still cant figure out why that would make a difference.

(and its my pleasure Tex, i know how bored you n crash can get :D )

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 am

dougieee wrote:Disabled the home network and now its fine :?:

Apparently you need to change the default names of the network i.e. not MSHOME (still cant figure out why that would make a difference.
Hey dougieee, glad to see you got the prob fixed.

I want to add this solution to the list on the first post but i don't know how to write it up. Can u trace the solution all the way back to the symptoms you were experiencing? Just say as much as you can. Cheers!

dougieee

Post by dougieee » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57 am

As soon as i figure out what part of the network was causing the problem I will explain it as best i can mate, im surrently setting it back up step by step, hopefully I can pinpoint the problem :v

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:20 am

glad to hear it, what was wrong and how did you fix it? Maybe i can add something to the first post.

LarsPT
Donator
Donator

Re: The LowID Clinic -- a support thread for LowID problems

Post by LarsPT » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:08 am

First of all, unavoidably, my many thanks to everyone adding to this wonderful thread.

I want to give my 2 cents too, so here's my experience.

I use Windows XP SP3, everything updated, AVG Free, no firewalls, no nothing. I have a cable modem conected to Linksys WRT54GL router, to which my computer is connected. I used this setup for some years never having any trouble, but, for almost an year I've not been using these because I was abroad, and now I came back and was having real trouble trying to get my high ID back. Went through this thread, and first I tried to play with my ports a little... then I tried to turn on UPnP on emule... and then I searched for the UPnP option in my router config... and noticed it was on... so I turned it off and turned emule's UPnP off too, and that just slammed it.

Fantastic, thanks a lot guys, may emule live forever!!

jdisenberg

Post by jdisenberg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 am

sorry if I haven't read the entire post...but I would like some opinions. I have been told that because I use a proxy (Anonymizer Total Net Shield) I will not be able to enable port forwarding. Is this absolutely true?
thanks!!

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:21 am

jdisenberg wrote:sorry if I haven't read the entire post...but I would like some opinions. I have been told that because I use a proxy (Anonymizer Total Net Shield) I will not be able to enable port forwarding. Is this absolutely true?
thanks!!
The problem is not so much with port forwarding but with the fact that your router won't ever get emule data to forward to your emule port. Peer-to-Peer networking works because each Peer knows the IP address of the Peers which they want to send data to. If your Proxy works as it should, it stops people (and applications) from knowing your true IP address. Logic says it won't work :(

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sat May 09, 2009 1:45 am

darthlight, that's a very detailed report thanks .... one more screenshot pls ... click START - > RUN and in the Run dialog box type CMD. in the DOS window that opens up type IPCONFIG and hit enter. Please post the screenshot of the results.

Glenn32

Post by Glenn32 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 am

darthlight wrote:Every since I changed my port connection on eMule to a different port, I keep getting a lowID and the test port page on emule website fails.

eMule v0.48a (Neo eMule v4.50)

Verizon FiOS, (broadband connected using Dlink DI-624 via LAN)

Windows XP SP3 (tcp-ip patched to 256 connections)
McAfee Security Suite
(Windows Firewall disabled)

4) confirm if you can or cannot log in to your router (if you have one). If you can't log in (or haven't ever done so), this is why you haven't got a HighID. Concentrate on this step if this is the case. If you can't log in, don't worry about anything else, fix this first. We can help you with this, just inform us you can't log in.
Able to log into router

5) what you have already done to try to achieve a HighID.
Tried using default ports and a different port number, no success
Disabling McAfee Firewall does not help
Set up port forwarding on my router and opened firewall...
[ Image ]

[ Image ]

6) most important: please confirm you have visited the Tutorial post (see above) and try to describe where you got up to, or how the tutorial failed to help you. This way we can improve the tutorial and maybe stop the need for threads like these.
McAfee Firewall reports that eMule has Full Access to internet, even opened port 61135 on System Services page.

Enabled UPnP (Universal Plug and Play Device Host service started [automatic], SSDP Discovery Service started [automatic])
But eMule reports
"5/8/2009 3:48:03 PM: Trying to setup port forwardings with UPnP..."
"5/8/2009 3:48:13 PM: UPnP failed to setup port forwardings, please foward those ports manually if necessary!"

On verbose it says:
"5/8/2009 3:48:04 PM: Found UPnP device: WAN Connection Device (ChildLevel: 0, UID: uuid:upnp-WANConnectionDevice-1_0-12345678900001)
5/8/2009 3:48:06 PM: AICHSyncThread finished
5/8/2009 3:48:13 PM: Found UPnP service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:WANIPConnection"

7) anything else you consider relevant.
My computer is connected via LAN to the DI-624 router with a static ip of 192.168.0.100
Servers used for HighID/LowID connection: UseNext.to (87.230.83.44:4661); Master Server 1 (83.233.30.55:4500)
Kad is disconnected when connecting to a server, some reason my router doesn't like Kad. The router randomly restarts itself when it gets too many UDP connections...

8) please report the result you get from the 'Test ports' feature in emule options (the connection tab)
Using default ports 4662 for TCP and 4672 for UDP and the ports I've already opened on router (61135 [TCP/UDP])
Testing IP: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Starting TCP connection test...
TCP test failed! UDP test will not be performed.
Oh man! i have the exact same problem: UPnP failed to setup port forwardings, please foward those ports manually if necessary!"
and im so not good at this! i have no clue what to do :cry: help please thanx :v

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sat May 09, 2009 2:52 pm

darthlight, ok, you got the correct address for your PC so its not user error like that -- however, i think you should redo your port forwarding rules to solve this one -- delete all the rules that you set up for emule - make sure the name does not appear -- then make the rules again, but read up on the process again just in case you weren't doing something right. Then try and let us know the results.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”