x265 replace x264...? Releasing Standards...?

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
jdhome

x265 replace x264...? Releasing Standards...?

Post by jdhome »

A few years ago there was a welcome change from the groups:
Scene Standard-Definition HDTV format change

So I leave this question here:
x265 will soon replace x264 ... ??

when will x265 replace x264 as standard for HDTV, BDRip releases etc ...

I did reencode tests (with NVenc. by NVIDIA hardware) on my old SD collections of .XviD.avi and x264.mkv
and I managed to reduce about 10Tb to little more than 4Tb with 2HDs empty
In some I even tried to increase the resolution from 624x352px to the current 720x404px, and the image in some aspects was even better in terms of definition.

Will you start to see SD releases of 45-minute episodes with about 150m..????

Here is a tip for those who want to share this with the release groups
because practically and nowadays all smart TVs can read x265 and VP9 in 4k UHD

Supported compressed video codecs on 4K TV LG

H.264 vs H.265 — A technical comparison. When will H.265 dominate the market?

Sorry for my poor grammatical English

Greetings from PT :thumbs :v

raffe
Donator
Donator

Re: x265 replace x264...? Releasing Standards...?

Post by raffe »

Most x265 TV releases here at STF are 2160p, as you see here search.php?keywords=x265 but there are releases also for other resolutions out there. I am sure there will be a change, but that always take some time. But as you see at https://scenerules.org/ the rules for Webrips (that is slowly replacing HDTV) include x265

CheGuevara
The Governor
The Governor

Post by CheGuevara »

There are no plans of such afaik. x265 only used for 4k now for.

jdhome

Post by jdhome »

CheGuevara wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:20 pm There are no plans of such afaik. x265 only used for 4k now for.
Ok thanks to those who participated

I will continue to make my x265 HDTV reencodes that I make collection for personal use

but here's the idea, which I think is an asset for the ed2k network, since you can get files half the size of an x264, just like when you switched from XviD to x264

thanks for the clarifications
maybe in the near future, because at some point this will have to evolve

LordDan
TV Moderator
TV Moderator

Post by LordDan »

JD,

It'll likely be quite a while, if ever, before x265 comes of age for a number of reasons. The biggest, imho, is that it is not widely supported yet in devices other than your typical computer. Good luck finding native support in most devices, whereas x264 is getting close to universal acceptance in mainstream devices like your phone, or laptop, or Netflix, or your DVR... And now that most things support it, it'll be a long time before the industry goes and adds a new "standard" to their lineup of capabilities. Yes, it's nice to have smaller file sizes at similar quality of audio and video performance... but considering how cheap storage is, it's not likely to get much traction from those that make those kinds of decisions. For example, I'm running a RAID server for the files I share here (just over 12,000 video files - TV Episodes mostly), and it's only taking a little under 5 Tb of space. (the equivalent of one of the 4 drives - which granted, takes 2 of them since it's RAID). Still, at a little over $200 each, that's only $400. If say I could cut the size down by 25% (any less and you'll start to see differences in the quality between x264 vs x265), then that could have saved me an estimated $100 in storage cost. In the grand scheme of things, that's hardly worth having an entire infrastructure of Scene Groups go through the process of changing a standard that has been implemented for years now. Yes, eventually, x265 (or whatever other new & improved codec comes around as technology makes improvements) will be adopted and used going forward from that point, but I think we'll be much older and wiser than we are now before that happens. x264 is a great codec and has incredibly wide support from most major players out there now (TV's, phones, tablets, computers, etc, as well as those who stream like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others).

My 2 cents...

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”