Windows 10 - Opening a can of worms...

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
LordDan
TV Moderator
TV Moderator

Windows 10 - Opening a can of worms...

Post by LordDan »

Good evening everyone,

So I'm still running Win 7 Enterprise 64 with huge success and have not been looking forward to the eventual need to migrate over to Win 10. But... Service and support of Win 7 ends in about 6 months (mid January 2020) and I figure now is probably as good of time as any to start asking around which versions you guys have been running? I would prefer to stick with an Enterprise 64 version if possible, which I did see there is a fairly old post from Will from a few years ago, but nothing recent at all. Next preferred version would be Pro 64. And yes, I know that I'll get a handful of different suggestions on which release here is "best", but I'm hoping that perhaps when you make your recommendations, you'll explain why you feel that way. :)

So... let the flood gates open and the responses commence. :lol:

And thank you in advance for your input - it IS appreciated! :)

unclebulgaria

Re: Windows 10 - Opening a can of worms...

Post by unclebulgaria »

Suggesting a replacement will depend a great deal on what you need it to do.
If you need integration with Microsoft System Centre or inTune products and Active Directory then Enterprise is the best option (pro will also do in a pinch), otherwise the feature list will need to have something on it to make it worthwhile.

I use some computers with Pro and some with Enterprise and other than SCCM integration I have not had a need to Enterprise for anything else I do.

I have been on Win10 since its release and the only issue I ever really had was with some really old Dell laptops that didn't have drivers for the display settings, so it ended up using a generic driver quite adequately.

Win 7 is unfortunately much less secure and that was the push for me to go Win 10 - plus all the plug and play features do work well for the vast majority of things now. I've yet to be infected with a virus on Win 10 and on 7 this was a regular issue given some of the less salubrious sites I sometimes visit...

----
One sentence breaking site rules removed.
~momijigari

nursemorph
Donator
Donator

Post by nursemorph »

As noted above, which version you get will be dependent on your needs. Personally, I went with the Home 64-Bit Edition as that version services my needs fine (a home PC, mainly for gaming, surfing and TV watching (I went with a 64 bit edition purely as that was what I was used to).

Regarding the Enterprise Edition, I have no experience with that in any generation so can't possibly add...however, maybe this page will help (it's a comparison between Pro, Pro for Workstations and Enterprise so may help you decide which you need:

Comparison Page

The other thing to bear in mind is the cost...Enterprise Edition is a yearly subscription fee (was $86 at time of release in 2016) so it may be that is too much to pay for what seems like personal preference...plus, from what I have read, unless you are amid-large business, Enterprise will be wasted, in terms of how much of it's features get used.

A final note is that, despite the savage reviews I read online prior to getting Win 10 (I only got it as I changed my hard drive to an SSD and it made sense to change from Win 7), I have had almost zero issues with Win 10...and the only major issue I have related to Windows Defender rather than Win 10 itself.

LordDan
TV Moderator
TV Moderator

Post by LordDan »

Good afternoon all,

Thank you both for your thoughts. Morph - thank you for the comparison chart - I had not seen that one in the past and it was rather helpful. Looks like Pro will be the route I'll go. Yes, Enterprise does have a few features and capabilities that I may eventually use or need at some point, but for now, they are not on the "must have" list.

Have a fantastic weekend!

nursemorph
Donator
Donator

Post by nursemorph »

You're welcome LordDan...glad it helped

Return to ‚ÄúTechnical Support & Discussion‚ÄĚ