About Dropbox

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
voetsak
Donator
Donator

About Dropbox

Post by voetsak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:01 am

I have some old home movies that have been passed down to me, some of which are 60 years old.
I Googled how to cut clips from VLC and it's a great success. Then I tried to send some to family members. Just one was able to watch and he loved it.
He told me to use Dropbox and send the links. This works a treat but I only had a 30 day trial. I can't afford the $17 a month.
I wonder if there is something else which would do the same thing if I download a program from here.

Please can someone give me advice on what to get. I'd be most grateful for any help.
I still have a fair bit to share and I'm the only one left that can do so.

Many thanks

nursemorph
Donator
Donator

Re: About Dropbox

Post by nursemorph » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 am

While I personally have not used Dropbox or any services like it, a quick internet search points to several possible alternatives:

Microsft One Drive
Google Drive

Those 2 would be the first I would try if I was looking to use the service as they are 2 brands I trust more than others and they both have 15GB free storage. Hope that helps and I'm sure some other kindly soul with more experience than me will be along sooner or later to offer their advice

voetsak
Donator
Donator

Post by voetsak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 am

Thank you very much nursemorph. I'll certainly try both of those.
I didn't understand about the storage thing. I just wanted to be able to get a link to a video clip so someone can just click on it and watch. I can't send the whole clip because gMail tells me it's too big.
So if it will store these for me I'll be so happy.
Thanks again. I'm going to start right away.

nursemorph
Donator
Donator

Post by nursemorph » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

voetsak wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 am
Thank you very much nursemorph. I'll certainly try both of those.
I didn't understand about the storage thing. I just wanted to be able to get a link to a video clip so someone can just click on it and watch. I can't send the whole clip because gMail tells me it's too big.
So if it will store these for me I'll be so happy.
Thanks again. I'm going to start right away.
You are most welcome...hope you find one that works for you. If those 2 don't work, there are other sites around but they offer much less storage (generally 5GB)...obviously, the more storage there is, the more stuff you can drop there. Sorry I can' help you more than this but I have no experience with dropbox or any similar site as I have no need...I just have a good knowledge of search engines and how to find what I need!

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 am

You could also use Youtube (same account as Gmail as Google own Youtube). If you upload there, it is just click and watch. You can also choose that the movie is private, so only people who knows the link can watch.

voetsak
Donator
Donator

Post by voetsak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Gosh raffe, that's a great idea. I didn't know I could do that. It was really easy and the privacy thing is the best part.
Thank you very much. You did it!

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”