VPN

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
jstvj

VPN

Post by jstvj » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Can anyone recommend a budget VPN open router and service please ?

By the way I'm in the UK

archer2

Re: VPN

Post by archer2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 am

I use PureVPN, but recently it's revealed that they do log, so I"m also looking for a replacement.

nursemorph
Donator
Donator

Post by nursemorph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 am

A couple of years ago, I got a warning (which was for files I hadn't even downloaded and a couple for shows I'd never even heard of!) and posted in the forum...this is the VPN that was recommended (by Skorpion): https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

However, I never got round to using a VPN so I can't comment on that one or any others...personally, I just run PeerBlock (with the premium subscription at $5 a year) when I'm using eMule or the Torrent network and, since using PB (installed after the warning), I have never had another warning...though I am in the UK which is less aggressive in terms of warnings etc (well, the ISP I use is anyway)

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 am

I have found and bought an open VPN router with one years subscription to PIA on eBay for £44 which I think is pretty good. As long as it does the job lol. The Seller has assured me that he will set it up for me. Thanks for the help. I will update when I have it up and working.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Wrong, it was VPN service only (no router)so cancelled order. Still looking ?

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:41 am

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 am

Thank you very much raffe, very useful and informative. I just need to know what budget open router I should buy now. I need it to stream IPTV and am on TalkTalk, speed about 12 Mbps. Consequently I need something that will not slow the streaming down

The_Exnor

Post by The_Exnor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 pm

jstvj wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 am
Thank you very much raffe, very useful and informative. I just need to know what budget open router I should buy now. I need it to stream IPTV and am on TalkTalk, speed about 12 Mbps. Consequently I need something that will not slow the streaming down
What is the budget limit? Asus has some pretty good and OpenWrt / DD-WRT supported models starting at 30 pounds in the UK (probably cheaper in the USa)

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Thank you Exnor for the recommendation. I have seen the Asus ones on Ebay and £30 sounds just about right. I just wasn't sure if they would do the job. Thank you again.

The_Exnor

Post by The_Exnor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 am

Just make sure you read about the model in the forums of the dd-wrt /OpenWrt to see if it supports openvpn. There are some low end models that do not support it ... don't know why, it might be an hardware resources limitation since the low end models appear all to run on a Broadcom SoC clock @ 300 Mhz and only with 32MiB of RAM and a ridiculous low 8MiB of flash storage :/

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Exnor, Thank you again for the further advice. Needless to say most of the techy stuff is foreign to me, but thanks to what you say I now know what not to buy.☺

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”