Dell Laptop Screen Fuzzy

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
jstvj

Dell Laptop Screen Fuzzy

Post by jstvj » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Hello

Its been awhile.

Tonight my Dell L702X running Windows 10 screen went fuzzy.

Its a bit long in the tooth, so I assume it is a hardware problem. However in the Device Manager, Other Devices, there are problems with 3 Bade System Devices and Multimedia Video Controller. I have tried updating the drivers but none can be found. I cannot find anything on the Dell Support site and their automatic driver checker states that all drivers are present

I am assuming its time for a new laptop but hoping that someone might know of a quick fix please ?

Please excuse any typos as I cannot see my screen very well.

Thanks.

unclebulgaria

Re: Dell Laptop Screen Fuzzy

Post by unclebulgaria » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Have you tried rolling back to a previous restore point - in Windows you need to go to:

start - settings - update & security - recovery - Go Back to an Earlier Build

I don't have any restore points set on mine but you should have one from the last time drivers were installed on the computer (ie the update that messed your PC up).

Sometimes a reinstall is the best option (if you have a license key for windows and all the software you need that is). I would seriously think about changing your hard disk out for an SSD if you can afford the money for at least a 250Gb one - the speed change is huge.

Good luck.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Thank you unclebulgaria, I hadn't actually thought of using a restore point. I will look to see if there are any restore points and if so, try that in the morning. It has a licensed Win 7 but I upgraded quite a while ago to 10 using the STF activation method.

With help the of YouTube tutorials I did fit a second larger hard drive and more memory myself, so I would like to get it up and running again.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am

Good morning, Well I booted laptop this morning and was delighted to see that the fault has corrected itself. However, the 3 base (sorry not bade) System Devices and Multimedia Video Controller still have the dreaded yellow triangles against them. I took your advice, unclebulgaria and tried to restore to an earlier point, ie last critical update. It took an eternity, nearly turned it off several times but finally it rebooted and said restore had failed. I did go onto a driver site yesterday and the free scan did confirm that four drivers are missing. However, they wanted a subscription to get the drivers. Surely they must be available free from somewhere ?

qik5l
Donator
Donator

Post by qik5l » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 am

Download the win 7 drivers from dell's website for the missing drivers, right click on each installer, choose the compatibility tab and choose win 7, then install each driver.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Thank you. I have checked the Dell Win 7 drivers, but the problem is that the details tab in device manager is blank so I do not know the name or make of the missing drivers

The problem has returned, but I now realise it happens when I move the lid/screen. Therefore, I think it maybe the screen connecting cable at fault. Will have a look on YouTube to see if I am capable of doing a fix.

unclebulgaria

Post by unclebulgaria » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 pm

do you have an external screen you can connect to eliminate it as a physical connection fault? Maybe even an HDMI connection to the TV?

In terms of seeing what drivers you need, have a look on the Dell site:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ ... s/advanced

The most likely candidates are:
- system board chipsets:
Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller
Intel HM67 Chipset Driver

- video cards:
nVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB Controller Driver
nVIDIA Geforce GT 550M/GT 555M Graphics Driver
Intel HD 3000 Graphics Driver

If you have a sticker for the video model on the computer it may help narrow it down, othewise you may need to track down Win 10 drivers from the manufacturers and install them.

The issue is that these are not tested or supported under Windows 10 so Dell won't supply or support them, but with a bit of practice you can track them down.
For example:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d ... river.html
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 6512/en-us

To be on the safe side, backup all your files to an external drive in case the worst happens.

Good luck.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Thank you, I have connected the laptop to a portable TV via HDMI and the display is fine. I think the drivers issue is a red herring and am now convinced its a display hardware problem. Hopefully, it will turn out to be only the LCD cable because there is a good tutorial on YouTube and the part is easily obtainable and relatively cheap. It maybe a while but I promise to let you know if replacing the cable sorted the problem. Thank you again.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:03 pm

my daughter had something leaning on her desktop screen once. gave it a fuzzy/double like appearance.
i found the offending object, removed it, and screen back to normal. sometimes a slight twist can send them out.
(the object was on a shelf behind the screen, pushing forward on a corner.)
could be flex from always opening/being lifted at the same corner.

TSM

Post by TSM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Probably mold. Have you tried Lemon juice? :bolt

:slapbot

unclebulgaria

Post by unclebulgaria » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 pm

TSM wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 pm
Probably mold. Have you tried Lemon juice? :bolt
A little tap with one of these could do the trick:
c7.alamy.com/comp/CEYAKF/a-man-holding-a-small-beat-up-sledgehammer-while-wearing-old-worn-CEYAKF.jpg

Or at least lead to needing a new laptop...

TSM

Post by TSM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:16 am

:lol2 That is fore lime scale.

jstvj

Post by jstvj » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 pm

I promised to report any progress and can confirm I have good news. Purchased and with the help of a Youtube tutorial fitted a new LCD cable. So far everything is working fine and the drivers with conflicts marked against them have corrected themselves. Thanks again for all your help.

darkstone
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by darkstone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:14 am

Sounds like the other devices could had been webcam and microphone built into the lid as well as the display itself so yes the cable will have corrected the drivers as the devices could not be detected with a faulty cable.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”