soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by soporific » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:27 am

NEWS: I have a working copy of WinBorg 7 January 2017 that I'm happy with, but have yet to test it. Assuming I don't find anything major, I will release on the 29th of this month. More news about the contents and what's new, coming in the next few days.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm

and good news it is.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

WinBorg.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.March.(2015)-SOPORIFIC

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 am

NEWS: I have a working copy of WinBorg 7 January 2017 that I'm happy with, but have yet to test it. Assuming I don't find anything major, I will release on the 29th of this month. More news about the contents and what's new, coming in the next few days.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

WinBorg.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.March.(2015)-SOPORIFIC

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 am

Question for WinBorg users: who can't use a USB drive to install WinBorg 7 ?

If you think you can't, either you are using a very old and crappy machine (we're talking 8+ yrs old), or you simply haven't setup your BIOS correctly. I have an old laptop that I only use to test stuff out on and for some reason I had the BIOS setup wrong and it wasn't recognising my USB hard drive. I plugged it in, fiddled around in BIOS (the fix for me was going into the Boot Menu and then the Boot Order list), saved my changes to the BIOS, rebooted and I was able to boot from my USB drive.

I say all this because in order to install Winborg 7 January 2017 (size is currently 6.40 gigs) you will need to use a USB drive unless you go out a buy a DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL disc and your burner can handle that type of disc. And setup will take much longer from disc as well, so try and get your PC able to boot from a USB hard drive.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 am

size isn't a problem. dldvd fits fine too. harder to accidently format a disk.

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 am

I agree - in today's world where drives are measured in terabytes and thumbdrives are so inexpensive, it doesn't make sense to worry about how large the file is going to be or the fact that decade old hardware can't run it. While I'm sure there are a few out there that are running a computer bought before the start of the century, I suspect the bulk of us are running something a little more current.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 am

NEWS: I still intend to release today, just finalizing the documentation. There's been lots of improvements made, including a much superior apps library in terms of ease of use. Coming soon...

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:31 am

i'll be watching. :clap

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:50 pm

NEWS: Sigh, I could probably release before I go to bed but I'd be rushing things and the last thing I want to do is have to re-release a 6.50 GB project. So the release is delayed by about 22 hours from the time of this post, sorry guys, I hate missing deadlines. But it's ready when it's ready and not a moment before.

To make it up to you, here's a list of improvements so you somewhat know what is coming:
  • Themes have been added to the apps library, I searched through about 500 to find the best 40. Only installed if you select from apps library. I've only pre-installed 3 things so it's as lean an install as possible:
    -> Autoruns 13.62 (available as a Control Panel applet)
    -> Microsoft .Net Framework 4.62 (removable via the Control Panel -> Programs and Features)
    -> Sop's Win7 x64 CPL Pack 2017 (removable via the Control Panel -> Programs and Features)
    - these things can be changed via customization, which is easy.
  • Ditto with fonts for your system, I've packaged up about 1500 over 5 or so packs. All usage types catered for, from "I only need a few" to "give me all you've got".
  • I've come up with a new installer system for the apps library that uses less space and takes up less time to install. A vast improvement on all previous libraries.
  • Windows 7 is now a monster to update all the way to showing no critical updates to install when you visit Windows Update. It took a while but I managed it. Although you need to be connected to the internet during setup. If you aren't connected, then you'll have 1 update to install. Try to be connected when your PC reboots from the desktop for the second time. If you are connected by LAN you don't have to worry, but if you need to enter a wireless password, do it in the minute you have when you are warned that the PC needs rebooting before you can use it. I only confirmed this was the case about 60 minutes ago. I was freaking out about 4 hours ago when I noticed the 1 'critical' update to install which has caused the holdup. All of this will be documented in the Read Me. Honestly, the things I uncovered while researching why some updates can't be slipstreamed, how Microsoft ever became a profitable company is beyond me.
  • I have created an Apps task list that lists apps by what you might use them for. This is taking longer than expected but I am finding it extremely useful compiling the list and all my findings will be summarized so you can find the app for your task. There are things I didn't know you could do and now you will find this out too! It also allowed me to find out which apps were actually crap and not worth including. The apps library is much more useful due to this now.
  • The apps library contains about 150 titles.
  • 64-bit apps: I have only included 64-bit versions of apps where it is at all possible there is a benefit from having access to more than 4GB of RAM. Any app that has a simple job to do does not fall into this category and so was not included. Lots of space was saved applying this philosophy.
  • The Windows folder is a bit leaner than previous editions, I've removed more things than before, still all safe to do.
  • I've added a better driverpack method: you can avoid driverpacks altogether and install from a storage drive during setup. I use this method exclusively now. The Read Me will have more on this.
  • USB 3.0 drivers have been slipstreamed for a faster install (you should be able to use 3.0 speeds during setup for USB installs).
  • I've increased the amount of things you can customize
There's lots of little improvements as well, I've worked long and hard on the polishing so it looks great. Coming soon... 22 hours to go...

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm

thw waiting can only improve it. thanks soporoific.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 am

NEWS: I'm about an hour late but I am very glad I choose to wait a day. I found a new treasure trove of apps that helped me update a few and add some more titles to the library. I also discovered another trick to save even more space for apps. I've finished everything, just finalizing documentation.

I am just going to take a break, then I will start preparing the release documentation. Hopefully I will be able to go to bed before midnight ;)

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:30 pm

WinBorg 7 January 2017 is finally out, grab it from here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=242600

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm

I spoke too soon, I've noticed a problem and it's important enuff and early enough to pull this version and fix. PROPER coming soon...

EDIT: I can handle one little mistake, but there was a big one in the codecs installer and it could possibly interfere with other installs so I thought I should fix it. I am testing in with a VM totally using a RAM disk so everything is super fast. I forgot to take this into account, oops. Just waiting for WinRAR to finish...

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 pm

The fixed version now available

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I should have another source within 24 hours, it will speed things up

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 pm

powersharing as i get at 70KBps

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:50 am

NEWS: far out :( ... I think there's problem with the apps library. It doesn't even load. I fixed one little problem but didn't do a complete full test. I am crying inside right now. The fix will be tiny in size but it will be a small hassle to insert. Sigh. I will do more investigations and report back soon ...

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:55 am

I have found the problem, it's a stupid special character at the start of the CONFIG.JS file. I will package the fixed file now and make it available. It's not the end of the world I keep telling myself but the entire apps library won't work if people only have access to the original RAR package and miss or don't have access to the updated CONFIG.JS file. Oh well.

EDIT: the fix has been posted. The lesson learned here is that you can't ever skip the testing phase, even if you've only fixed something small!

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 am

Screenshots added

maze438

Post by maze438 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:37 am

soporific wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:55 am
I have found the problem, it's a stupid special character at the start of the CONFIG.JS file. I will package the fixed file now and make it available. It's not the end of the world I keep telling myself but the entire apps library won't work if people only have access to the original RAR package and miss or don't have access to the updated CONFIG.JS file. Oh well.
So we're supposed to unpack the RAR, then "install/unpack" the ISO to a USB drive, and then replace the config.js file on the USB drive?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 am

Full instructions to add the fixed file:

1. Unpack the RAR archive.
2. Mount the ISO file that is inside the RAR archive. There are many programs you can use to achieve this, my favourite easy one can be found here:
http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/
- this will add the WinBorg image to your filesystem so you can access it.
3. Copy the contents of the WinBorg image (the ISO) to a separate folder. Let's call this folder the new build
4. Replace the bad file with the fixed version. Instructions as to finding the file are included with the fix.
5. Make any other adjustments (highly recommended, see the ReadMe for details)
6. Look for the MakeDVD folder (in the new build) and use the utility inside it to remake the DVD.

It really isn't that hard. And by the time you have downloaded the original ISO, I will be making available another update that will fix any other problems I come across. I've already found one, Networx won't install because of a typo. Hopefully that is the only one.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:27 pm

soporific wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 am
And by the time you have downloaded the original ISO, I will be making available another update that will fix any other problems I come across. I've already found one, Networx won't install because of a typo. Hopefully that is the only one.
You mean you will post another small fix (or two) to apply to the ISO, correct?

The ISO itself is downloading at a glacial pace. It looks like most people are capping their upload at 4 KB/s :-(
At this rate, it'll take 60 hours to download the whole thing. Do you have a faster connection to seed from?

Regards.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 am

Another addition to the instructions about replacing the config.js file:

* The other way to do it is to make the USB install and replace the bad file on your USB. It will save you remaking the DVD image.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 am

patience maze438. i've finished now and still powersharing.
and 3-4 is emule default slot speed. no-one is capping.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 am

hrmwrm wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 am
patience maze438. I've finished now and still powersharing.
and 3-4 is emule default slot speed. no-one is capping.
What is powersharing?
I've ULed 17 GB (for this release alone), but have DLed only 2.5 GB :-(

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

Don't forget to grab the update pack, no-one has grabbed that from me yet

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 pm

powersharing would be what your doing. it just means a setting for higher priority to upload. some mods have it.
patience is the way with emule.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:06 pm

soporific wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am
Don't forget to grab the update pack, no-one has grabbed that from me yet
Thanks for pointing that out, I had managed to miss it ;-)
How much have you uploaded? I'm up to 38 GB (but still only have 84%)

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 am

NEWS: Due to the big mistake with the config.js file, and the fact that I can see a few more improvements that i can make, I will be releasing a new WinBorg 7 probably in March or April this year. If you have any suggestions for it, please say something now!

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:57 am

ajdedo wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:47 am
Is this the same WinBorg that was due before Christmas? ;)
OH! There was a release a couple days ago! How did I miss that? Funny thing, I think I had a dream about it. ;)

So basically, there is a Jan 2017 release and then an April 2017 release too. Gotcha.

Thanks!

:thumbs

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”