soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
maze438

Re: soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by maze438 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Just saw that Microsoft wants to prevent users from installing Win7 on recent CPUs (Intel Kaby Lake, AMD RyZen).
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/03/1 ... ndows-7-81

For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

maze438 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm
For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?
Installing WinBorg won't be a prob but the WUs might be if MS don't reverse their policy. It seems to me to be a drastic move by MS that may ruffle enough feathers to get them to reverse this decision but I wouldn't bet on it...

TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down. Instead of enhancing the old system, they took a step back with the new one :(

So, sooner or later, I'll be moving up and OS and starting to mod it. But not for a while and I am still absolutely releasing at least one more WinBorg 7 ... coming soon!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm

soporific wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am
TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down.
I'm sure you know DirectX 12 is Win10-only (and also Xbox One, of course).

Just for fun, here's the list of stuff Win10 reports back to Microsoft:
https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/win ... and-fields

This tool might be interesting:
http://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/

Regards.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Hi guys,

There is a small delay while I finish up with another hat I'm wearing.... I'm the club registrar for my local football (soccer) club and I am snowed under with dealing with snooty parents and lazy kids who can't follow even the simplest of instructions ... I was supposed to be already finished with it all but it's dragging on.

Project news: I have the new OS all ready to go, I have successfully made a PE using Win 8.1, just sorting out a few issues, and I'm hoping the ESD plan comes good, but I've yet to work on this part. If all goes well, I'll have something out by the end of the month. The idea is that the next release will stand the test of time. More news in a week...

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the big break in any news!

The situation is that I was defeated in migrating to using a Win8pe and I didn't want to admit defeat. Then I started working full-time again and so I put the project aside to re-charge my batteries. I was pretty much burnt out by the attempt to get it all working so the break was probably necessary. I'm about ready to give the project another go, at the very least release a much improved version over the January release whether it comes with Win8pe or not.

I can't give you any date, but just that I'm still alive and kicking and tinkering on a new release ;)

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 am

Greetings Sop...

I'll second the request for a Win7 version. Yes, it's getting to be an older OS, but it's still fully supported by Microsoft for another 2 1/2 years, so it's far from obsolete. Heck, I still know a handful of people still running XP (on non-critical systems)... (EOL of Win7 is January 2020, fyi).

It is too bad MS keeps putting all that crap into Win10 though - it has such potential to be a decent operating system, but the powers that be over there keep insisting that MS is still the 100 pound gorilla in the room, and us lowly users are stuck with putting up with it while they continue to throw junk into their flagship OS.

Eventually, after Win7 is no longer supported, I know there will be a mass exodus away from it and over to Win10 at that time - but until then, like Elmojo, I have absolutely no desire to 'downgrade' to Win10, and I'm absolutely certain I'm not the only one! :)

Anyway, it was great to hear from you again Sop! My offer to help still stands when you're ready... :)

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey guys, I hear you have some questions!

re: Win10 -- I can count the number of times I've used Win10 on one hand. The exact number is 7 and yes that means my right hand is in fact a many-fingered freak show and it's why I never leave the house ;) ... seriously, even though I was being serious before, all my hardware is still Win7 compatible and the only thing that I've been missing in my life because I have shunned Win10 is that I can't yet play Civilization VI which will only work on the evilness that is Windows 10. I've got a decent CPU and I know that maybe a new OS might be a bit quicker here and there but I am perfectly happy with the speed at which I get things done with my computer.

I really wanted to get Win8pe working and I will have another crack at it, because this helps prolong the life of WinBorg 7 and I would be happy developing it further. Wish me luck in that endeavor!

Regarding a WinBorg 10: at some point I will need to be able to install a version of Windows 10 that I like. I will still probably be using Win7 but I have a large 'client' base that might need it and I like to keep them happy ;) If I haven't got around to developing one myself, I may see if I can find a warez release that I like and modify that with the settings I think it should have. So, AJ, it might not be tomorrow, but it's in my mind to get one done.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Elmojo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 am
soporific wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm
...I can't yet play Civilization VI which will only work on the evilness that is Windows 10.
Not true, I played Civ VI on my Win7 x64 rig
Correct, the system requirements state:
Windows 7 64bit / 8.1 64bit / 10 64bit

http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles ... quirements
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... on-6/13429

Maybe sop tested on a 32-bit version of Win7 :-)

Regards.

nmsconsultoria
Donator
Donator

Post by nmsconsultoria » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Ha ha ha, I'm definitely 50b, wouldn't be caught dead with 50a. Brrrr. But seriously, I'm like an oldie who's an eternal newbie, or, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't begin to know what was better. I've tried one or two but never felt they were downloading any faster than the trusted mule. I too have reluctantly dabbled in torrents, dazzled by the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it speeds but i just find us STF folk are so much more civilised. It's chaos out there in torrent land, a veritable each man for himself, but here we have our lovely site and community where order and progress prevail. He he.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 pm

nmsconsultoria wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm
I too have reluctantly dabbled in torrents, dazzled by the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it speeds but i just find us STF folk are so much more civilised. It's chaos out there in torrent land
Well maybe the civilized people at STF should start trading torrents....

----
Nope, we're way too civilized for that.
It's one of the reasons we're still around after ~15 years.
So let's stay on topic, ie WinBorg. :)
~momijigari

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:33 am

Good afternoon Ajdedo,

You and I are usually on the same side of an argument... but in this case, I would have to disagree. There are several reasons to keep ed2k and torrents separate (not the least of which is limiting exposure and attraction by those in the MPAA and all the others out there that don't want their stuff out in public domain). Plus, torrent sites are typically targeted more frequently than ed2k sites, and if both were combined like you suggest, it would only put an even bigger target on STF.

Besides, they each have their appeals... usually, the more recent stuff is available on torrents (which I suppose is why they're bigger targets than ed2k), whereas sites like STF usually have much older files available still - especially obscure stuff. Also, I've found (in my experience) that torrents have a MUCH higher percentage of viruses embedded in the downloaded files than those pulled from ed2k indexing sites like STF... not to mention the fact that extremely rarely (and I mean twice in a decade) have I found a release to be a fake file here on STF (ie: the name of the file says it's "Secretariat" and the actual file is more along the lines of "She Likes Horses" (and not rated PG). I find fake stuff all the time on torrents.

As far as emule 50a being too old - I suppose that could have a bit of truth to it. Yes, the 50b beta is out there and I've used it, but there are also several custom mods out there too that others use, and those seem to be updated a little more frequently. But considering there are still hundreds of thousands of people on ed2k and tens of millions of files shared - I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon. :) And as long as there are sites like STF (and those behind the scenes like Che, Momijigari, and all the other moderators out there), the integrity of the ed2k file-pool will remain very high!

Hope you all had a great weekend and are looking forward to a fantastic week ahead!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I was notified of a message from Legoman this morning, but it appears to have been deleted. I suppose it was the moderation?

Legoman
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Legoman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 am

maze438 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm
I was notified of a message from Legoman this morning, but it appears to have been deleted. I suppose it was the moderation?
I managed to answer my own question, so I deleted my own post.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Heya sop,

Hope everything is well in your life. I wanted to ask you where you stood on Winborg7, Winborg10, and all that good stuff.

Regards.

Smut Master
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Smut Master » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 am

nobody has heard from him in a very long time, on this or the other sites he uses. somethings up

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Such a shame... Winborg has always been so awesome...
Sop, wherever you are, thanks for all the hard work you poured into this project over the years.
Peace (and Love)

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey WinBorg users (and sop, wherever you are),

I tried installing WinBorg 7 x64 January 2017 on a spanking-new Ryzen 2600-based system.

USB mouse and keyboard are properly detected in the UEFI BIOS, but as soon as I enter the WinBorg installation screen, mouse and keyboard are dead. I'm thinking this is because the installation media does not include the right USB drivers for the system?

So I ask: what should I do?
Should I try to somehow add the proper drivers to WinBorg 7? How? DriverPack?
Or have some of you moved on to some other Win10 release? (It pains me to leave WinBorg behind.)
Also, I see that Amazon sells 10 USD Win10 Pro activation keys. Is that legit?

Regards.

Elmojo
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Elmojo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:29 am

I have no idea how or if any of this applies to AMD systems, but on Intel chipsets, you have to slipstream in the USB/NVMe drivers to the boot media. I used a guide I found on youtube by searching "installing windows 7 on Coffee Lake". It was a fairly simple process that involves downloading a driver set and injecting it via something like Rufus.
Again, none of that may work on AMD, but the process may be similar.
No idea about the Win10 keys, but I would suspect them to be bogus for that price.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”