Change audio in video file

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
LordDan
Donator
Donator

Change audio in video file

Post by LordDan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:19 am

Greetings everyone,

I have two video files, one is in English and the other is in Spanish. However, the Spanish video is higher resolution than the English counterpart and I've been unable to find a better quality English release - so my question is... Is there a way that I can "move" the audio from the English video file over to the Spanish video file (and presumably overwrite it or just add a second audio track?).

I have both Ashampoo Movie Studio 2 and Movavi Video Editor 11, but haven't been able to figure it out. If there's other software that you'd recommend to do this task, I'm open to that as well (ie: I'm not stuck on just these two programs).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Have a fantastic evening and enjoy the rest of your week. :)

Equalizer
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Re: Change audio in video file

Post by Equalizer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:48 am

MKTooLNix. You can throw any AV file at it, de-select any tracks you don't want, and then let is mux the remaining streams back into a new file (MKV).

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 am

I usually do it like this

A. First I check that the movies are the same length, easier that way (you can do it otherwise also, but then you need to sync audio and video)

B. Secondly I use AviDemux ( http://www.videohelp.com/software/AviDemux ) to get the audio from the movie that will give audio to the other movie
  1. File - Open and then select audio source movie
  2. Click the blue (i) button (or click File - Information). Check audio codec, maybe it is MP3 or something else (good to know when you save the file).
  3. In the left area you can choose what codec to save the audio as. If you get problems with MKVToolNix, you may want to change the codec from Copy to something else to get it to work.
  4. Click Audio - Save audio and then write a good filename, maybe "english.mp3", click Save and wait a few seconds.
C. For the third step I, like Equalizer, use MKVtoolnix ( http://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVtoolnix ) to join the movie with the audio file.
  1. Click the button "+Add source files" choose the movie file that will be the receiver of the new audio file and click Open
  2. Click the button "+Add source files" choose the audio file from above steps that should be joined with the movie file and click Open
  3. The audio file should now be seen as a audio track under the Codec list. If not, try to save the audio as another codec with AviDemux and try again.
  4. Under "Output file", write a nice name you like
  5. When all seem OK, click the button "> Start muxing"

Equalizer
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Equalizer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 pm

You don't need to split the video from one file and the audio from the other first, if you just add both audio and both video streams in MKToolNix, you just disable the ones you don't want and merge the ones you do. You can also apply audio delay if out of sync.

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:30 pm

Good afternoon,

Thank you both for the suggestions!!! I'll work on that this evening when I get home. :)

Have a fantastic night!

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Equalizer wrote:You don't need to split the video from one file and the audio from the other first, if you just add both audio and both video streams in MKToolNix, you just disable the ones you don't want and merge the ones you do. You can also apply audio delay if out of sync.
Cool, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info :thumbs

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”