Would like to try Linux

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
kggf
Donator
Donator

Would like to try Linux

Post by kggf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi all,

Been looking at running another operating system on my computer (PC) and if all goes well, I might change to that and the one that has always sparked my interest is Linux. I've heard of it, but never used it and never had the need to install it. I believe I have a Linux type system on my NAT, so when I play around with it, I have dabbled with parts of it. But from my understanding its nothing like a full blown desktop installed operation system. So I am hoping to find the right type of Linux that will fit my computer.

Basically, from any experienced Linux users out there, what Linux package would be good to install for a beginner, does not load countless unnecessary programs at boot, relatively clean and looks simuler to a windows desktop, you know start menu, my computer icon other things like that.

easy to install, like download the files of the internet, burn to CD, boot of cd and then install. Most important part is that I do not want to overwrite or mess up the other windows instillations I have. Right now when I boot my computer I have a option of booting into Windows ME or Windows Xp. I would like a third option to boot into Linux.

Once I have Linux installed I would also like to know how I can run all the common programs, or have equivalent programs that I use in windows. Exploring the internet is something I am not picky about. Any good default browser with addblock would do, but watching movies, have all the codecs is a must. Then Word editing, file compression, all the normal things I would do including video editing and running E-mule.

I am also concerned about driver computability and if everything can install without problems.

Well, this is just a start, I am sure I can work most of it out on my own, just need a good place, or Linux package to install first thats not overwhelming and needs countless lines of code to get it working like my annoying NAT server does over the network.

PARADoX

Re: Would like to try Linux

Post by PARADoX » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm using Linux Mint, besides WinXP and Win10. All three operating systems are virtual machines on my Win7 host, simply because I don't like to reboot the computer every time I want to use something else. Mint is, like any modern Windows OS, very easy to install, looks and behaves like WinXP/Win7 and comes with everything you need (browser, email, video/audio player, office etc.) already preinstalled. Not so common stuff, like amule, needs to be installed manually, which takes only a few seconds.

deadbodyman

Post by deadbodyman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 pm

I have not "installed" Linux on my computers but I have played around with Kali plenty.
It is a live DVD but can also be installed if you like. It is really fun to play with. :D

https://www.kali.org/

paulo.manuel.brito

Post by paulo.manuel.brito » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Ubuntu 15.10 to me. If you need internet + office don't need to look further. Can be dual boot with windows - up to 7 (don't know with 'superior' ones). Comes with firefox and libreoffice. Easy to install teamviewer, skype, videolan and many more.

kggf
Donator
Donator

Post by kggf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Okay, So I have been trying to install Linux on a spare laptop with varying problems. I have chosen Linux Mint and all seemed to be going fine, downloaded the image, burned it to cd, I had to change and update BIOS setting on the laptop to boot of CD.

The laptop I am using for this is a Asus X551M model and I believe its a 64Bit model as it came with Windows 8.1 installed, but it crashed and failed. So now I had wiped the hard drive completely, to start afresh.

Linux boot cd will load up okay, but when it tryes to load up the install screen upon boot the laptop does nothing. When I press a key like ESC I get a list of processes and it gets down to something about server or such... But there is an error of (Soft Lockup CPU1 error), and that is as far as it goes.

So my theory is that the CPU then locks up for some reason. So has Asus done something to there laptops so only windows can be installed, although I tried to install windows 7 on it, that locked up also, or is there a setting in bios I need to disable or have I got a hardware fault.

Any help would be wonderful.

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:23 pm

You could try to update the BIOS on the laptop to the newest version. Also you could try another distribution, just to see if there is something with your hardware that mint don't like. Maybe try the 32-bit version of Mint. If you have a USB stick (or USB hard drive) you can use Easy2Boot (see some info here), then you just need to download the ISO file and copy it to the USB stick, boot with the USB and choose what ISO you want to boot. That way you can easily try different distros. I would start with trying live versions (you just boot the Linux OS from the USB/CD/DVD and don't need to install it), maybe start with Mint live (choose Start Linux during boot), then try Knoppix (direct link) and Ubuntu (direct link)

kggf
Donator
Donator

Post by kggf » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:35 pm

The BIOS has already been updated, but I will try the 32Bit version just in case this laptop does not support 64. I'll post more later.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”