Acronis restore, how does it work?

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
vultus

Acronis restore, how does it work?

Post by vultus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 am

When I first got my pc (over 4 years ago) an image of C: with only windows and nothing else was created with acronis. Now, if I use restore, the system goes back to when the image was first created, with windows only. But what about all the software that I have installed over the years?
I know that it will not work because it's not technically installed anymore, but its data will still be there, hundreds and hundreds of GBs of it. What do I do with it? This is what I don't understand about the whole thing. Do I need to manually go through every folder on my pc and delete all that uninstalled data? What about the program files and username/Mydocuments folders, will they be re-written over by the restore, but what about all the older data, does it get deleted automatically or is it still there?

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Re: Acronis restore, how does it work?

Post by Will-I-Am » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Doing a Restore with your Acronis Image of C: is like formating C:, then during a clean install of Windows.
So everything is gone.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 pm

as will says, you're computer will be back to the same as the day you made the image. no software, no data, no updates.
you will need to copy any data you want saved to elsewhere. it will no longer be available.

vultus

Post by vultus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Will-I-Am wrote:Doing a Restore with your Acronis Image of C: is like formating C:, then during a clean install of Windows.
So everything is gone.
But what about software that was not installed on C, but on a different drive? It will still be there won't it?

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:08 pm

you are only restoring the C drive? then it will only wipe/re-install to C.

Bohanna

Post by Bohanna » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Let me save you a LOT of trouble time and aggravation ,,,,,, download a program called reflect,,, Go here get the free version it works great http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Then use either an external hard drive (that goes for cheap these days) or mount a hard drive in an external enclosure and clone your drive to the external. It's NOT complicated and if you ever need to transfer data to another computer you have it on the cloned drive or you can pop in the cloned drive into your computer. I have three drives that I clone on a rotating basis so if I have a crash I have several drives I can use for a replacement that go back to the point of the last cloning. BTW this reflect program is EVEN easier than acronis used to be before they made it complicated. You can clone to a new drive WITHOUT having to reboot into a different mode or wait for the old cloning acronis type screen to show up. I can do a 250 Gig drive in about an hour and a 1/2. FYI- You can still work while the drive is cloning but I just start a clone when I am going somewhere and when I come back its all set!!!! Best of luck!!! Bohanna

Wingnutt
Donator
Donator

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:28 am

You install windows, drivers, updates, then install all programs and utilities and even games (if you install them to c drive), THEN image your c drive with Acronis. Now when it comes time for a restore ALL of C is restored. In 30 min or so (depending on speed of pc and size of image) your done and EVERYTHING is pristine. All you have to do then is any updates of windows and programs that have been released since you made your image. If you want to take it a step further you can set Acronis up to make incremental updates to the full image once a month or so and the image stays current. I personally dont do this though as any problems that creep in can become part of the image. So when I do a restore after applying any updates I then make a new full image that is then current and delete the old image. Ive been doing it this way for years and it works great.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”