New fan for push and pull configuration

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
vultus

New fan for push and pull configuration

Post by vultus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:00 pm

I have bought a new fan (Corsair SP120 Quiet at 1450 rpm) to replace a slightly broken, but very loud and clicking fan in a push and pull configuration on my Cooler Master Hyper 212X. My question is, taking into consideration that now I am using two different fans, the Corsair and one of the original Cooler Master fan (I think the rpm is around 2000 or more, I think).

Which one in your opinion should be the push and which one the pull?

Should I plug them both into the same mobo power connctor (CPU Fan), and if so, using a splitter connector, one end with 4 and the other with 3 pins, which one should be plugged into the 4 pins?

Would it be better to plugged them into two separate fan headers?

Thanks

KingJohn
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Re: New fan for push and pull configuration

Post by KingJohn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:11 pm

does your mobo have pins for controlling fans ? thats where they should go

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:35 pm

The fan that moves most air should pull out the air. And like KingJohn say, best is in separate fan pins on the mobo.

vultus

Post by vultus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 am

KingJohn wrote:does your mobo have pins for controlling fans ? thats where they should go
What do you mean? My mobo has 4 fan headers but I don't understand what you mean by "controlling fans"

vultus

Post by vultus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 am

Would it be bad to connect the two different fans to the same fan header?

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

I think KingJohn means that you should connect the fan's connectors into their own 3-pin or 4-pin fan header on your motherboard, IF you have two or more pins on the motherboard for fans, like this:
If you use the 4-pin fan header on your motherboard the fans will be regulated by the motherboard according to the temperature. If its cold the fan goes slow and if its warm the fan goes fast.

Every pin can on better mobos handle maybe up to 2A (24W), budget ones maybe 1A (12W).

If you only have one pin fan header on the motherboard: Then I would say it should be OK to connect both fans to the same pin fan header on your motherboard (if your motherboard is not a extreme budget one). First I would check the motherboard specs for how much power the header can deliver (voltage(V) x current(A) = watts(W)).
  • 3 pin = Corsair say "Motherboard with an open standard 3-pin fan connector".

==> Note: when using a 3-pin power connector with a 4-pin fan header, the fan will always be on; there is no fan control.
  • 4 pin = Coolermaster say "Connector 4-Pin"
So you can plug them both into the same mobo power connctor (CPU Fan), but the Corsair will always be on and the Coolmaster will be regulated according to temperature.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”