Windows 10 Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
juiceman77777
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Windows 10 Discussion

Post by juiceman77777 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

To install or not to install...that is the question. I run windows 7 ultimate and by far it has been one of the best OS I have ever used. Recently I was notified by Microsoft to reserve a free copy of Windows 10 but I have my reservations about this new OS. What do you all think about it? Should I give it a go or wait a couple of years?

bjorn j
Donator
Donator

Re: Windows 10

Post by bjorn j » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Agree, Windows 7 is the best, running it as well, and I am not gonna update to Windows 10. When my Win 7 system crash, first then Im gonna go for Win 10. As long as Microsoft keeps updating Win 7 there is no need to get Win 10. I guess it is much better than Win 8, but still not worth the update, and no, I have not try Windows 10 yet, dont know what it is like... :pir8

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:31 pm

You could install & run Windows 10 preview in VM (VMware) to test and check it out, you need min. 2Gb MEMORY free to install WIn 10.

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=70506&p=1500628&h ... e#p1500628

By the way, I was able to activate Windows 10 Enterprise preview with MS Toolkit AutoKMS.
Last edited by Will-I-Am on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skorpius

Post by skorpius » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 pm

i will install/upgrade, read a lot of good reviews about Win10, much better than Win8. Win10 free upgrade is good only for a year after the commercial release.

i am still using Win7 (Win8 sucks) on all my machines but playing on Win10 Tech Previews inside VMware & installed on another physical partition. i multi boot Win7 and other OSes (Linux/Win8/Win10) and decide later after the upgrade which windows to be my primary OS. you can also image your Win7 before upgrading and restore win7 later if you're not satisfied with the upgrade.

you can also join the Windows Insider to try the tech previews.

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I have been running Windows 10 on my work computer since October 2014 and I can say it's much better than Windows 8. I some ways it is also better than Windows 7, like it's a little faster starting up etc., but not that much better. If you are happy with your Win 7, 'if it works, don't fix it', I would say stay on 7 until first service pack for Win 10 (so all games work ;) ). Some stuff actually don't work well on Windows 10, like Virtual Box, some games (performance is a little better with win 7 and not all games work well on Win 10) etc. But if you have Xbox Win 10 is nice as you can "access your Xbox Live account, stream games from your Xbox to your PC and have multiplayer games work with both PC and Xbox players". You will have one year to think about it, after that Win 10 is not for free anymore.

One thing you can do is to test if everything you need on your computer works on Windows 10. Install it on another computer and test if all stuff you like work. Or copy your hard drive with Disk2vhd (use VHD not VHDx) and virtualize your computer with VirtualBox. Then you can try to upgrade 'your computer' to Windows 10 and try it virtually with Open Source software (see here for a tutorial, scroll down for VirtualBox). Don't run both computers at the same time with the same Windows license as Microsoft may not like it.

Read more here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ ... -windows-7

Wingnutt
Donator
Donator

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:02 am

Understand though that if you take advantage of the free Windows 10 Upgrade you will have to surrender you current windows key. The Windows 10 Upgrade replaces your current version of Windows. You do NOT get to keep both. The version of Windows 10 that you get is also dependent on the version of Windows that you currently have (7 or 8 Home=10 Home/7 Pro or Ultimate= 10 Pro) don't think there is a 10 Ultimate. Also if you are like myself and have a HI-Defination Tv Tuner Board in your Home Theater PC (like Ceton Infinitv 6 or HD Homerun Prime) where you NEED Windows Media Center to play protected content your screwed as Windows 10 and on no longer have Media Center. Also in all the years I've been working on and building PC's I have never found a version of Windows that has been good at launch. (Except Windows 7) Not even XP. As raffe has said I would wait until at least service pack 1 is out before I would even consider committing to 10 full time. Driver compatibility and availability for older hardware is also something to consider. As well as program compatibility. I personally wont be giving up my perfectly running Windows 7 Pc's for a probably buggy Windows 10 anytime soon or ever. (But that is me) I don't really care for the whole Metro Tile interface when using a mouse and keyboard. It does work great on tactile mobile devices though. For those who know how there is a workaround to the license surrendering issue. I don't think I'm allowed to go into those kind of details here so I won't. That having been said I will probably get the upgrade and multi boot it with 7 and XP to give it a chance.

Corky34

Post by Corky34 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 am

I wouldn't install Windows 10 even if you paid me, there's so many unknowns about what Microsoft's plans are for it along with security & privacy concerns.
TBH I'm surprised so many sites heap praise on Windows 10, maybe it has something to do with Windows 8 being so awful.

Loverlyhotty

Windows.10.Enterprise [All Editions]

Post by Loverlyhotty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 pm

I do not like the windows 10 that was installed over my windows 8. so my question is this...can I go back to factory settings on my hp laptop and it will go back to windows 8?

raffe
Donator
Donator

Re: Windows.10.Enterprise [All Editions]

Post by raffe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:37 pm

@Loverlyhotty: You can do a downgrade back to your old Win 8.1 during a 30 day period. After that you have to reinstall with a clean Win 8.1, maybe with the recovery option on your laptop.

During the 30 day grace period you can do this:
1. Click Start - Settings - Update & Security - Recovery
2. Under the header 'Go back to Windows 8.1' you click 'Get started'

EDIT: See here for more info about downgrading Windows 10: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windo ... y-3615606/

wayofthedarkhand
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by wayofthedarkhand » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:26 pm

raffe wrote:@wayofthedarkhand: Are you doing an update or a clean installation?
Neither. I can't get that far. First I need to 'burn' the ISO to a USB but despite downloading it twice, using multiple different USB sticks and different programs to put the ISO onto USB it fails every time.

How did you install it if you didn't first put it on a DVD or USB?

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:07 pm

For an Upgrade, install first: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.htm.
Then mount the ISO in virtual-clonedrive.

To burn to DVD, there's the built in Windows 7 program Windows Disc Image Burner and other free programs out there.

Check out my other post, page 1 last post from bottom (15 Aug) about upgrading to Windows 10 Enterprise.

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:26 pm

What Will-I-Am suggest will work fine. Here comes even more alternatives that you can also try.

If you have Windows 8 you can download the ISO file and then just double click on it. Windows will load the file to a virtual DVD player and you can double click on setup.exe in that virtual DVD.

You can also download the ISO file and then use the freeware http://www.7-zip.org/download.html to unpack the ISO to a folder (right click on the ISO file and choose 7-zip - Extract to "Name-Of-ISO-File\") and after that double click on setup.exe in that folder.

You only need to have it on a USB or DVD if you want to boot from it and make a clean installation.

baroni061241

Post by baroni061241 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:35 am

mcveyclan1 wrote:Maybe a silly question buy I'm not a tech type. Will Win 10 recognize a drive over 2TB on install or is it still the limit for windows primary drive?
I am using 4TB Drives with no problem

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:19 am

Windows has supported bigger than 2.2TB on boot drives, up to about 9 ZB (9 000 000 000 TB), since Vista 64 bit version.

Like grunth0s say, the problem is that the mother board often don't support UEFI boot, only boot with MBR. Some info about the problem with MBR is in The_Exnors link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408
"The problem in this computation is that the partitioning scheme that is used by most modern Windows-based computers is MBR (master boot record). This scheme sets a limit of 32 for the number of bits that are available to represent the number of logical sectors. The 2-TB barrier is the result of this 32-bit limitation. Because the maximum number that can be represented by using 32-bits is 4,294,967,295, this translates to 2.199 TB of capacity by using 512-byte sectors (approximately 2.2 TB). Therefore, a capacity beyond 2.2 TB is not addressable by using the MBR partitioning scheme."

So, If you want to use over 2.2TB drives on a boot disk during install:
  • The disk must be initialized by using GPT (built-in feature since Windows Vista 64 bit).
  • The system firmware (mother board) must use UEFI boot (check if your BIOS supports this).
  • The Windows version must be 64 bit
How you install Windows 64 bit versions on a disk bigger than 2.2TB:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-19 ... r-hdd.html

mcveyclan1
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by mcveyclan1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks guys, I saved all the tutorials posted here and will check all the options in my bios, I'm currently running a custom bios from bios-mods and need to check the new options. all my usb drives are over 2TB and I recently bought a 3TB internal drive on sale for $65 but can only access 2TB. I'll look into the UEFI option when I upgrade My MB later this year if I cant get this one to use all of the drive after trying all the options posted. Again Thanks to all for the info

And yes DB your right I was referring to my C drive on a clean install and getting frustrated trying to get the whole drive to read as one drive when I moved to win7 on the new drive.

mante

Post by mante » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:10 pm

10 months after since this has been posted, i still have one question...Is it worth it?
Im still using the win7(got from this section), is it worth me putting windows 10 on a new build im working on, microsoft say its free to upgrade but its not when building a new computer.
Eventually they will stop supporting win7(dont like 8/8.1) so what are the options?

Tmax
Donator
Donator

Post by Tmax » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:14 pm

To many no, they just don't have the system to run it, to others its a nightmare where MS has full control of your system while still others find no issue with it at all or it seems. I used it for about a month then went back to 7 as i didn't care for MS having so much control over which updates i installed and which i didn't. There are those who argue you must keep up with the technology well in this instance i will sit in the dark ages of the past. I stuck with XP till its bitter end. So its more of a personal choice and a system that will run it. It's your choice so install it on a secondary drive first to see if you like it.

The_Exnor

Post by The_Exnor » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:48 pm

mante wrote:10 months after since this has been posted, i still have one question...Is it worth it?
Im still using the win7(got from this section), is it worth me putting windows 10 on a new build im working on, microsoft say its free to upgrade but its not when building a new computer.
Eventually they will stop supporting win7(dont like 8/8.1) so what are the options?

Personally i think it is.

i've been using Windows since 3.11 for Workgroups and Windows 10 is (so far) the best one (IMHO).

Windows 7 was the best one, and 8 was good also (too bad MS included a GUI no one liked... ), and 10 combines the 2 and adds some new features.
Is as light as 7 (i was able to install it on a Pentium 3 @ 900Mhz and 1 GiB of RAM) and as great support for older hardware.

Privacy concerns: Well just firewall the machine... Also if anyone is really so much preoccupied with this just ditch Windows and Mac altogether and switch to Linux.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

It's a shame really, since the backend of Win10 is pretty great. It's the parts of the UI that the marketing people got their grubby mitts on that are such a disaster.
Like Exnor says, if you sequester the OS with a decent firewall, it's not too bad, but then you have to deal with certain things not working properly, since the communication lines it expects aren't there.
Personally, I'm sticking with 7 on all my production machines until I can find a reliable way to disable the data mining and advertising that's dug so deeply into 10.
Anyone know of such a piece of software that isn't malware itself?

mante

Re: Windows 10 Discussion

Post by mante » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:36 pm

The biggest point is Direct x12 compatible gaming for PC's, windows 7 is still behind, will this affect future games that utilizes direct x12.
Ty for all your comments.
Im pretty sure staying with win7 is my position right now...Who knows what the future holds.

Smut Master

Post by Smut Master » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 pm

I had a hard time with the File sharing feature. So i went back to windows 7. There are forums upon forums of people asking the same questions, yet nobody has yet provided sollutions. I have 2 PC's that were running win7, with all drives shared between each other. No issues. However after upgrading to Win10 i kept getting asked for login credentials, even though neither machine had password protection enabled. I tried for a week to get it to work, before i went back to Win7. Its a shame because i like every other aspect of Win10

mante

Post by mante » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Smut Master wrote:I had a hard time with the File sharing feature. So i went back to windows 7. There are forums upon forums of people asking the same questions, yet nobody has yet provided sollutions. I have 2 PC's that were running win7, with all drives shared between each other. No issues. However after upgrading to Win10 i kept getting asked for login credentials, even though neither machine had password protection enabled. I tried for a week to get it to work, before i went back to Win7. Its a shame because i like every other aspect of Win10
I have no idea what set-up you have, but i had windows 7 ultimate(as said above). i have totally backed up my PC with all my original windows 7 stuff.
here's the rub:I have now installed windows 10, its working instantly with NO issue's at all. It is activated using the toolkit(easily)...But what i did when i installed was, i custom installed, i turned off all the microsoft crap features, stuff that sends info to microsoft and other stuff, i can only guess your problem may have been something you missed when installing, if you try again, turn off all the bollox you dont need. hopefully that may sort your problem out, there should be NO reason why win10 should ask for passwords unless you have passwords installed. at 1st when my PC booted it came up with password log in, i didnt do anything and now i dont see it, i also dont have password log-ins, anyway i hope this helps you....Good luck, i actually like windows 10(didnt think i would say it).

Smut Master

Post by Smut Master » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:34 am

This is a global issue, and many are having the same Network file sharing issue, so its not me. File sharing between 2 windows 10 PC's is problematic for people upgrading. from what i can gather its the upgrading. Lets say from windows 7, you have it setup for no login. after upgrading to windows 10, i was not allowed to continue with the upgrade, unless i signed into my hotmail account. Same goes for the other PC. And i think this is where the problem lies. even though win7 had no login, and file sharing had no password protection. Suddenly Win10 want login credentials, and people, like me just dont know what they are. Which i think might have something to do with Win7 Administration rights

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”