Wifi Adapter keeps shuting off by itself...

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
leseanden

Wifi Adapter keeps shuting off by itself...

Post by leseanden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Everyone! Like the title says, I'm having a trouble with my Wifi card (D-Link DWA 547), it keeps shuting off by itself. I thought it was my Router but the rest of my stuffs have connection. and all I did was change my OS from XP to W7, I tried to checked in Device Manager and my Wifi Adapter is not there and when I click on the signal icon it only shows "Troubleshoot Problems and the Open Network and Sharing Center" usually it shows Wifi signals. I tried different things and it only works again after a System restart then it will shut off or dissapear again after 2h or 3h, not even logging off then log on woks. I tried the following:

1. In Device Manager I unchecked the "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power" ==> did not worked.
2. I changed the Power Plan into "High Performance" ==> did not worked.
3. Intalled the provided Software from D-Link site ==> did not worked.
4. Uninstall/Install driver network ==> did not worked
5. Googled it but all I've read was "turn off the Router yadiyadiya...." I did that and like I said my Other stuffs like Cellphones and Tabs,PC have connection.
6. Searched (but did not find any similar problem) then wrote in Technical Support & Discussion in sharethefiles.com :D

Hoping that someone had the same expirience and solved it. I'm not sure if my Wifi card is saying goodbye but all I did was change my OS from XP to W7 and it was working good in XP. And I'm not sure if either installing W7 again will solve the problem...Thanks in advance aaaaaaaand!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Re: Wifi Adapter keeps shuting off by itself...

Post by Will-I-Am » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:24 am

Is it certified for Windows 7?

leseanden

Post by leseanden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 am

yes and I got the driver from D-Link site...

TSM

Post by TSM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:55 am

I have a similar problem with a USB3 card that I have which runs my External 5 Hard Drive Stack. I don't think the Windows 7 Power Manager works. I have had to assign a directory on the device in eMule to keep it from shutting down. If I don't do this, the device shuts down regardless of the power settings.

I think Windows 7 is only capable of 'keeping something alive' if it is in constant use or it is a 'standard device'.

Good luck with it.

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:41 pm

At http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robmar/archive/ ... ports.aspx they say that you can try to open up a command prompt in administrator mode and then type in the following (saves the file to C:\WINDOWS\system32\energy-report.html as default):

powercfg -ENERGY

or if you want to choose where to put the output file:

POWERCFG –ENERGY –OUTPUT <path\filename>

Does that give more info?

Have you also gone into the power plan advanced settings and to “Wireless Adapter Settings” then “Power Saving Mode” and made sure it doesn’t disconnect your wifi to save power by setting and switched it up to "Maximum Performance"?

Also, check "Device Manager I unchecked the "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power"" again. Sometimes Windows "helps" you when you set the "wrong" settings, so it changes them back ;-)

leseanden

Post by leseanden » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply, just came home yesterday from Holidays Celebration...
TSM wrote:I have a similar problem with a USB3 card that I have which runs my External 5 Hard Drive Stack. I don't think the Windows 7 Power Manager works. I have had to assign a directory on the device in eMule to keep it from shutting down. If I don't do this, the device shuts down regardless of the power settings.

I think Windows 7 is only capable of 'keeping something alive' if it is in constant use or it is a 'standard device'.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for the tip,but it is my Standard device and it still shuts down while we are watching live streaming. Meaning it is in constant use but it still shuts by itself.
raffe wrote:At http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robmar/archive/ ... ports.aspx they say that you can try to open up a command prompt in administrator mode and then type in the following (saves the file to C:\WINDOWS\system32\energy-report.html as default):

powercfg -ENERGY

or if you want to choose where to put the output file:

POWERCFG –ENERGY –OUTPUT <path\filename>

Does that give more info?

Have you also gone into the power plan advanced settings and to “Wireless Adapter Settings” then “Power Saving Mode” and made sure it doesn’t disconnect your wifi to save power by setting and switched it up to "Maximum Performance"?

Also, check "Device Manager I unchecked the "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power"" again. Sometimes Windows "helps" you when you set the "wrong" settings, so it changes them back ;-)
Thanks raffe! I did and tried but nothing happened it just gave me a couple of Infos like 2 errors and 16 warnings etc... then I tried checking the option in Device Manager again and still the same...

Status right now:

It's weird cause i turned on this morning, I thought it is fixed cause its not shuting off...I guess I celebrated too early, this time it lasted like 10h it ussually shuts off within 2h...

next move, I'll try to take it out clean then reseat, lets see what will happen. If you guys still have tips, feel free to write, I'll be glad to try them! Thanks again!

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:18 pm

leseanden wrote:yes and I got the driver from D-Link site...
Could you post the link here.

leseanden

Post by leseanden » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:04 pm

DWA-547 , sorry it's on German. Theres a drop down on Driver (Treiber) and it shows it's for W7 too...

leseanden

Post by leseanden » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 am

Update to my problem:

I finnaly had the time to take the WiFi card out then dust it and reseated it...no cigar! It's the same problem. Then reinstalled W7 again but didn't solved the problem. After all that I checked the speed status of the connection and it's only giving me a 130 mb/s. After a while it shuts down again and had to restart. After booting system can't find any Wifi signal anymore...I tried the Wifi reciever from the other room (USB format) pluged it in...voila...connection is there.Status speed 300 mb/s. So I guess the Wifi card just died on me, oh well...Thanks for the help and time anyway!

jaabulon

Post by jaabulon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:42 pm

just an alternative point for others to consider if they are suffering a similar issue.

even though this problem has been solved sort of, one thing nobody mentioned and i think it could be a major issue and probably was the cause of the problems the op was
suffering from is heat .... yes that thing chips produce when they are pushed hard.

i have used several usb wifi dongles over the years and suffered the same types of issues with them turning off and found they do like to get hot when downloading at highspeeds

currently im using a cheap dlink n type for my 2nd pc which seems to cope fine but the older g types really dont like the faster speed connections in my experience,
my old adsl2+ 14mb internet was fine using g types but when i switched to fiber 40mb/10mb i was using a 128mbps capable g dongle that came with my old router, it would over heat and turn off but if it was set to use 54mbps it would be ok for general surfing but if i was downloading at max for an extended period it would die, i tryed other g dongles i had lying around and they all suffered the same issue of overheating and this happened even when i used an extension cable to keep the dongle away from the pc.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”