Still safe to use Windows 7?

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
bjorn j
Donator
Donator

Still safe to use Windows 7?

Post by bjorn j »

So as we all know Windows 7 users don't get any more updates now. I really don't know what to do now, my Win 7 PC working just fine and I want to keep it running, but is it really that dangerous to do so? It all keep saying "now you won't get any more updates, you are now more vulnerable to threats to your PC, even if you got all kinds of anti virus program installed."

I guess I'm ready to install Win 10, and I think I know how to do so :? but still worried all will be messed up and my PC just wont work anymore.

So to you who still running Win 7, can you hold on to it and is it really that much of a security risk to not install Win 10?

I have Win 7 Home 64 bit, Chrome and Norton Internet Security

Thanks in advance... :-|

patroc
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Re: Still safe to use Windows 7?

Post by patroc »

be sure to back up your windows 7 audio drivers .. they are the only thing i have found that 10 din't have .. no sound at all ..

^Rogue^

Post by ^Rogue^ »

I still use Win7, you're going to be fine for the time being. :)

Legoman
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Legoman »

bjorn j wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:38 pm So as we all know Windows 7 users don't get any more updates now. I really don't know what to do now, my Win 7 PC working just fine and I want to keep it running, but is it really that dangerous to do so? It all keep saying "now you won't get any more updates, you are now more vulnerable to threats to your PC, even if you got all kinds of anti virus program installed."
Actually, this is all just pure fear theatre. In reality, the exact opposite is true. The older your OS the safer it gets for the simple reason that it becomes rarer and rarer and therefore ceases to become a target for hackers to write software to infiltrate it. XP and W7 are now so old they are effectively immune from harm simply because no-one is actively looking to hack them anymore. The same logic why Linux and Apple computers have never had to bother about anti-virus software at all. So few people use them that they don't have the citical mass required to be a useful hacking target.

I've been running an extremely reliable Winborg 7 install for the last 6 months with absolutely no malware or anti-virus software on it at all. Even Windows Defender is completely disabled as well. A couple of weeks ago the mouse started moving on it's own, so suspecting a browser hijack I installed the latest and greatest Avast and Malwarebytes software and did complete thorough scans of everything with both. Nothing. Completely clean of threats. It turned out my mouse cable was broken and needed replacing.

Microsoft have done such a good job of forcibly and tricking people into believing they have to upgrade to Windows 10 otherwise they will get hacked that they've actually created the computing environment that makes the obsolete OSes more secure than they ever were in their heyday. Windows 10 by contrast is the biggest piece of spyware ever created, which is of course why it was given away for free, whilst all the OSes that preceded it had to be paid for. As the truism goes, "if the service is free, you're the product"

Think of it like owning an old car with a manual gearbox and a clutch pedal. Today, these cars are basically theft-proof simply because all the youth of today who are likely to steal one have never driven a car with three pedals and simply don't know how to take one for a joyride even if they do break into it. They don't need sophisticated anti-theft systems anymore because the threat has simply gone away.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm »

depends on what you use your machine for.
surfin, playing videos, and email?
when my win7 machine started having troubles, i found my older computer, installed the graphics card from the 7 machine, and installed budgie ubuntu.
need something? softwares repository is onboard to install from.
it's not like windows was ever safe to use even with updates.
windows was only as safe as what you click on.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”