Issue with sharing over LAN

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
Elmojo

Issue with sharing over LAN

Post by Elmojo »

Hi all,
I'm noticing some odd behavior lately from eMule, and I'm hoping you guys (and gals!) can help me out.
Recently, I've noticed that the files I'm sharing over my local network (from my server) aren't actually being shared in eMule.
What I mean is that if I look at my "Shared Files" section, I see my folders listed like normal, such as x:\Movies, W:\TV Shows, etc...
However, those that are UNC shares from my server (\\Server\TV Shows) are just empty when I click on them. If I right click and choose {Open Folder}, it opens right up and I see all my files, so I know the link is working, it's just not sharing these files with the world.
If I go to [Options] and check under the [Directories] section, the paths are shown in the UNC section.
This kinda seems to have started ever since I updated to the latest version of eMule. I was previously on an older eMule XT mod version, and it always worked just fine.
Anyone know how to fix this?
I've got a ton of 'value' out of this ecosystem over the years, and I don't feel right, not giving back my pat by sharing what I have.

momijigari
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Re: Issue with sharing over LAN

Post by momijigari »

You don't even mention what you've tried so far..... like the basics. Sometimes they are basics because they actually fix issues.
Rehashing? Check available free space? Check permissions? Trash prefs and recreate them?
Considering you've switched client, I would def try all those, as even if all features looks compatible between clients they might not be.

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe »

If mapped network drives work (x: and w:) but not UNC, maybe also map the UNC shares to drives and use the mapped drives for them also?

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

Thanks for the tips.
@Momiji: I haven't really tried those specific things, since I didn't know about most of them. Everything has been working perfectly for years, so there wasn't really a reason to dig deeper. I realize that's not an excuse, but it's the only explanation I have. :)
However, now that you mention it, I can comment on a few things...
I don't think I can rehash, since the files don't show up on my list. Maybe I'm missing your meaning on this one?
The free space where? On the drive where the files I'm trying to share are stored, or my temp drive, or elsewhere? I think all should be fine, but I want to be sure I understand.
I have no idea what trash prefs are or where to find them, sorry.
@raffe: that's a good idea, and I thought of that, but I really don't want a bunch of extra mapped drives cluttering up my machine if I can help it. The X drive is local, and the W drive is only mapped because I use it for other purposes. I appreciate the suggestion in the PM as well. Oops! Sorry raffe, I just realized that PM was from someone else. I can't read this early, no coffee yet... ;)

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”