Ram Disk ???

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
paul1966

Ram Disk ???

Post by paul1966 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Guys
now proud owner of a server (yeh !!)
have been running Da mule 24/7 for nearly 10 years now
gonna use the server to do it properly...
is there anyway to force emule to use ram for my swap files
rather than HDD ??
like a ram drive ??

thanks in advance

OneApi

Re: Ram Disk ???

Post by OneApi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:38 am

Settings/Maps (or Dirs/Incoming Files

Remember, when you reboot everything is gone. Before u do so you better store your swap-files to your hd.

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi OneApi,
thanks for your reply
what I thought was to copy the incoming folder but
I don't know what software would be good to use...
also I usually let emule run till it crashes !!

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Maybe use a SSD-disk instead of RAM? Not as fast, but easier

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm

cheers raffe
already have 2 in raid (I have lost a lot of HDDs over the years !!)
what does every one else do to combat HDD break downs ??

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm

RAID 10 on an NAS w/4 drives. Hands down, the best option with 4 identical discs.

There are LOTS of other options out there though (from cloud storage, Dropbox, to simply copying files to multiple drives for redundancy).

I used to run a program called dsynchronize that automatically copied files from one location to another (creating a backup) whenever either a new file was added to a folder or an existing one was updated. Worked great and had a very small TSR footprint in the system. Not sure if that would work for you or not, but might be worth investigating...

my 2 cents...

Mimic
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Mimic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

LordDan wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm
I used to run a program called dsynchronize....
Hi LordDan,
Never used this software before, but it sounds like what I exactly need.
Is there a reason you stopped using this software, or was it just a matter of finding another software that better fitted your needs?

Thanks!!

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 pm

I actually still use it on my observatory computers to sync database files for the telescopes. But for my home, I upgraded my NAS to something large enough to handle all my files (16 terabytes in RAID 10... 4x8Tb drives) and now with total personal cloud-based access, so I can retrieve my files from anywhere from all my devices.

Basically, in short, once an image is taken with the cameras that are attached to my scopes, dsynchronize automatically copies it to my Dropbox folder. 'Normally' one would think that I could just save the file directly into a Dropbox folder, but the program I used to script my telescopes creates issues with a direct save because it renames the file immediately upon saving, (needed for post-imaging analysis among other reasons, fyi), and quite often, this very quick modification of a file in Dropbox causes problems with the images getting corrupted. But when I switched to dsynchronize and simply save the file in a different starting directory and have it automatically copy it into Dropbox, it's worked flawlessly since.

As far as I know, it works with any drive (virtual or real) as long as it can be seen as a drive in Windows Explorer.

Hope it works out for you. :)

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi LordDan
WOW I knew people were running fancy set ups but that's a lot of storage !!

It's great too hear how other people tackle basically the same thing.
I use Plex so all the devices in the house can access the files I hold on the server
( just because Android won't join the network !!)

I think I'm asking for trouble storing illegal files to the cloud...
I was thinking of something like https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/
and your suggestion of dsynchronize to copy files from my incoming folder,
although my D/L activity would still use the discs everything shared back would be from ram....
TBH I don't know if this would work ??

any thoughts ??

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 am

Personally, I'm not a fan of ramdisks - much too volatile for my taste. That said, I know a few people that do use them and they have told me that they've had few issues with them, so I guess it's more of an individual choice. There's no question though that if I were to use one, a good UPS is an absolutely essential necessity.

16Tb sounds like a lot of space (especially when you consider that I actually have 32Tb - 4x8Tb drives, but RAID 10 cuts it in half for redundancy), but I'm using almost 13Tb already - adding to it fairly regularly (roughly one Tb per year), so I'll need to expand it at some point in the next couple years. Fortunately, the server part of it can handle 8 drives, so I'm simply waiting for the prices to drop enough to pick up 4 more of my existing model drives to add to it (right now, that's just over $1,000 US, so - not quite in my price range!)

As far as exposure though with questionable files on the cloud - my files are stored locally (nothing on the cloud other than website access - the files themselves are NOT stored virtually (like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc), so unless someone was able to break into my system and access my files, there is no exposure. The vast majority of my files are TV shows (and of course, my data files for my astronomy work - which is a good chunk too), and although I DO have a few of those 'questionable' files too... I don't have a lot of them (and none of them are current release stuff - most are pretty old at this point).

Anyway, I've got to get going and get ready for bed - got an early and long day ahead of me tomorrow. Hope everything helps and works out for you!

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 am

You can also replicate virtual computers with Hyper-v, so if you have emule on a virtual computer you can have a backup replica. If something goes wrong with one, you just start up the other. I don't know what OS you have, but you can do it with Windows server 2012 and later OS. If you don't use a AD you can use certificates, like this (I added -NotAfter 2046-01-01 to the end of the PowerShell syntax to get certificates that lasted longer) http://blog.fedenko.info/2016/06/hyper- ... igned.html. Or if money is no issue, maybe use Double Take availability ;-) https://world.visionsolutions.com/produ ... avail.aspx Or maybe use VirtualBox and synchronize the virtual harddrive with dsynchronize, that would be similar to Hyper-v replication (I guess only one virtual machine can be started, not both at the same time)

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks to all who have posted,

I am now using Starwind Ram Disc & dsynchronize ( thanks LordDan !!)
to mirror my incoming folder,
I have a 15GB ram drive which should be big enough !?

as this is software I don't think UPS is necessary I guess time will tell
how this behaves on auto reboot...

raffe thanks for your reply
I use win 10 I believe I can use hyper V
and I would like to use a virtual PC just for surfing
but it's probo just beyond my skill set just at the moment ;-)

thanks again

raffe
Donator
Donator

Post by raffe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, Hyper-V is available on 64-bit versions of Windows Professional, Enterprise, and Education in Windows 8 and later (not on Windows Home edition), but Hyper-V Replica is only available in Server. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtua ... ows/about/
If you want to try it, it is quite easy, see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/can ... indows-10/ There are some settings you have to do, but after that you are on your way

But maybe even easier, is to get the free to use VirtualBox (open source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox ) from Oracle (but you can not use VTx at the same time as Hyper-V, Hyper-V will not allow it so you have turn the Hyper-V feature off). You just get it from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads (click on "Windows hosts" under "VirtualBox 5.X.XX platform packages") and install it (and trust Ocacle drivers and let it install virtual network interfaces, and temporary disconnect the computer from the network, when it asks) and then it is good to go.

I usually after installation also add "VirtualBox 5.X.XX Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" by clicking on the "All supported platforms" link at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads , not sure when I will need the extra stuff, but hey, it's free ;)

To install a new OS in VirtualBox is more or less a simple guide and in the end you use a ISO file to install the new OS, you can see a video below. At the beginning he shows a non official site for VirtualBox, don't use that one, otherwise the video shows the basics from installing VirtualBox and then installing Windows 7 in VirtualBox. He makes some adjustments, but you choose what you think is good for your system. And you do similar to install Ubuntu and other OS in VirtualBox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGUfa2HIx0E

Some also like VMware’s Workstation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation_Player ) that offers a wide array of features for desktop virtualization, with slight variations between the “Player” and “Pro” editions — namely, that you can’t run multiple VMs at the same time, create encrypted VMs, or share VMs as servers. So if you want to run a few OS at the same time, you need to buy a license. VirtualBox doesn’t offer the same level of support for 3D graphics as VMware, but otherwise they are more or less the same for normal user.

If you Enable "Virtualization Technology (VTx)" support (or AMD-V) in BIOS, the virtual computers will work even better. With VirtualBox that is not a requirement if you will use 32-bit OS in it, but if you want to use 64-bit you need VTx (or AMD-V).

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 pm

WOW !
raffe I don't have any excuses now !! :oops:
thankyou for what is a really a full tutorial !!
I will get on this...soon :wink:

Thanks for all the help
and time taken, much appreciated :v

Mimic
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Mimic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 pm

@LordDan
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation....much appreciated!!

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 pm

OK Guy's
1 month on....
this all seems to work brilliantly 8-)
I have rebooted a couple of times ( I normally would let windows crash after 3-4 months run time !!)
task manager never shows any activity from the software ram drive
(which is the only fault I can find)
the C drive stops nearly all activity when I'm not D/Ling
which is what I wanted to achieve :)

Thanks again to all who posted

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”