soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
LordDan
Donator
Donator

Re: soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by LordDan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:33 am

Good afternoon Ajdedo,

You and I are usually on the same side of an argument... but in this case, I would have to disagree. There are several reasons to keep ed2k and torrents separate (not the least of which is limiting exposure and attraction by those in the MPAA and all the others out there that don't want their stuff out in public domain). Plus, torrent sites are typically targeted more frequently than ed2k sites, and if both were combined like you suggest, it would only put an even bigger target on STF.

Besides, they each have their appeals... usually, the more recent stuff is available on torrents (which I suppose is why they're bigger targets than ed2k), whereas sites like STF usually have much older files available still - especially obscure stuff. Also, I've found (in my experience) that torrents have a MUCH higher percentage of viruses embedded in the downloaded files than those pulled from ed2k indexing sites like STF... not to mention the fact that extremely rarely (and I mean twice in a decade) have I found a release to be a fake file here on STF (ie: the name of the file says it's "Secretariat" and the actual file is more along the lines of "She Likes Horses" (and not rated PG). I find fake stuff all the time on torrents.

As far as emule 50a being too old - I suppose that could have a bit of truth to it. Yes, the 50b beta is out there and I've used it, but there are also several custom mods out there too that others use, and those seem to be updated a little more frequently. But considering there are still hundreds of thousands of people on ed2k and tens of millions of files shared - I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon. :) And as long as there are sites like STF (and those behind the scenes like Che, Momijigari, and all the other moderators out there), the integrity of the ed2k file-pool will remain very high!

Hope you all had a great weekend and are looking forward to a fantastic week ahead!

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:06 am

and those seem to be updated a little more frequently.
no, they're not. each was updated as emule was. so mods are only slightly newer. which was about 5 or 6 years ago. someone i know has said win 10 needs 50b to run proper.
interest in a new beta seems to have ended a few months ago.
https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... 790&st=280

here is the beginning of the topic with the latest available emule links.
https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... pic=159790

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 pm

The problem with torrents is the security, or lack thereof in fact.
It's WAY too easy for your ISP to track your torrent traffic. I played around with it for a bit, and got flagged almost instantly.
I've been using eMule (morph XT) for well over a decade now without a single issue.
Viva la Mule! lol

Legoman
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Legoman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:58 am

When wishing to replace the MediaInfo installer in the ISO image per the instructions, which version is required for inserting? The one included in the cumulative update is called MediaInfo.x86.x64_0.7.92.exe, but obviously the latest version at time of writing now is v0.7.97. The filename of this installer when downloaded is MediaInfo_GUI_0.7.97_Windows.exe for the x64 version. The one used in the ISO appears to be a combined x86/x64 version, but I'm unsure if the x64 bit version from MediaInfo now is an exclusive x64 version or both x86 + x64. Does it matter for the ISO to work? Is there a specific naming nomenclature required for it to work?

maze438

Post by maze438 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I was notified of a message from Legoman this morning, but it appears to have been deleted. I suppose it was the moderation?

Legoman
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Legoman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 am

maze438 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm
I was notified of a message from Legoman this morning, but it appears to have been deleted. I suppose it was the moderation?
I managed to answer my own question, so I deleted my own post.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”