soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by soporific » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am

Okay, MEGA NEW NEWS: The next version of WinBorg 7 will blow all previous versions out of the water! Especially January 2017!

Here's a short list of major changes:

* I now use sysprep to install all the updates, meaning there's none left to update when you install the OS (you don't have to wait while the 'last minute' updates' get installed). Thanks to the original creator of LastOS for the help!

* I will be using Win8pe to boot the disc, it replaces Win7pe. This means that newer hardware will automatically be recognized and you won't have USB 3.0 issues. I know some people will be very happy with this news, AJ in particular.

* and lastly, I will be attempting to use a ESD file instead of a WIM file to install the OS: it uses MUCH less space: for a 4.48 GB WIM, this translates to a 2.21 GB ESD .... half the size!!! Means the project will be smaller and more space to put apps. This is quite tricky though and so I might not get this working... but that's the goal.

This does mean that a new version isn't just around the corner, but if all goes well, you can expect a new version in a couple of weeks, maybe earlier.

Stay tuned...

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 am

Awesome news Sop, can't wait!
Well, obviously I'll have to, but you know what I mean. ;)

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Just saw that Microsoft wants to prevent users from installing Win7 on recent CPUs (Intel Kaby Lake, AMD RyZen).
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/03/1 ... ndows-7-81

For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

maze438 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm
For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?
Installing WinBorg won't be a prob but the WUs might be if MS don't reverse their policy. It seems to me to be a drastic move by MS that may ruffle enough feathers to get them to reverse this decision but I wouldn't bet on it...

TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down. Instead of enhancing the old system, they took a step back with the new one :(

So, sooner or later, I'll be moving up and OS and starting to mod it. But not for a while and I am still absolutely releasing at least one more WinBorg 7 ... coming soon!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm

soporific wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am
TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down.
I'm sure you know DirectX 12 is Win10-only (and also Xbox One, of course).

Just for fun, here's the list of stuff Win10 reports back to Microsoft:
https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/win ... and-fields

This tool might be interesting:
http://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/

Regards.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Any estimate on when the new version might be ready?
I have a new build that will be needing an OS very shortly, and I'd love to use yours if it's ready.
This will be a 200 series intel board, so it might be a bit of a challenge with the old version.
Can't wait to try out the new hotness! :D

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Hi guys,

There is a small delay while I finish up with another hat I'm wearing.... I'm the club registrar for my local football (soccer) club and I am snowed under with dealing with snooty parents and lazy kids who can't follow even the simplest of instructions ... I was supposed to be already finished with it all but it's dragging on.

Project news: I have the new OS all ready to go, I have successfully made a PE using Win 8.1, just sorting out a few issues, and I'm hoping the ESD plan comes good, but I've yet to work on this part. If all goes well, I'll have something out by the end of the month. The idea is that the next release will stand the test of time. More news in a week...

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Maze, thanks for the info. Too busy to digest it but will soon...

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:30 am

Excellent news Sop!
So does this mean that the next version is based on Win8.1, or just the PE?
Hopefully just the PE, but looking to clarify...
Also, bummed to hear that it won't be ready until the end of the month, since I'll be doing my install in the next several days.
Oh well, real life takes the front seat, right? :)
Thanks so much for your work on this amazing OS version. I've really enjoyed it since you've taken over development, it's much cleaner now!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:04 pm

soporific wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am
Project news: I have the new OS all ready to go, I have successfully made a PE using Win 8.1, just sorting out a few issues, and I'm hoping the ESD plan comes good, but I've yet to work on this part. If all goes well, I'll have something out by the end of the month. The idea is that the next release will stand the test of time. More news in a week...
Hey sop, are you working on win7, or win10, or something else? :-)

Smut Master

Post by Smut Master » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I hope all is well with him, he has been quiet far too long

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Indeed. Pretty soon we'll need a WinBorg 11.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the big break in any news!

The situation is that I was defeated in migrating to using a Win8pe and I didn't want to admit defeat. Then I started working full-time again and so I put the project aside to re-charge my batteries. I was pretty much burnt out by the attempt to get it all working so the break was probably necessary. I'm about ready to give the project another go, at the very least release a much improved version over the January release whether it comes with Win8pe or not.

I can't give you any date, but just that I'm still alive and kicking and tinkering on a new release ;)

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Glad you're alive and doing well! I'm getting used to these extended breaks of yours. :)

While you were "off-the-grid", I started toying around with Win 10. I dual-booted my machine with the Dec version of WinBorg7 you gave me, and the stock Win 10 that came with the machine. I still use WinBorg as a daily OS (I'm on it right now), mainly because I'm not used to Win 10 and I haven't installed all the "essential" software I need to work daily on it.

My particular motivation to experiment with Win 10, was that Win 10 works so much better with scaling software on high DPI screens. And if you have 2560x1440 laptop, there's not a lot Win 7 can do to make things look proportionate. In fact, some tabs and fonts are unreadably small with that resolution in Win 7, and Win 10 somehow solves that issue.

I think as an overall roadmap for the future, Win 10 might be something to consider modding....

Any thoughts on that?

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am

Welcome back Sop!

I, for one, have ZERO interest in any version of Windows beyond 7 at this point, at least until we find a really clean and reliable way of purging all the tracking, advertising and telemetry garbage M$ is insisting on injecting into the OS.
I would dearly love to see a new version of WinBorg with nothing more than all the "safe" updates slipstreamed, all the "junk" purged out, those latest patches and drivers (discussed previously, above) meshed in that would allow installing Win7 on new hardware (specifically motherboards using Intel 100/200 chipsets), and of course the awesome software library. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's not a huge departure from your previous release.
I totally get that Windows 7 is quite old, and honestly should be replaced with a more modern OS that incorporates better security and usability features.
If M$ hadn't totally ruined Windows 10, it could have been that OS.
If I didn't have a few critical apps that are Windows-only, I'd have jumped to Linux long ago.
Oh well, 'job security' for WinBorg!!

tl;dr: PLEASE do a new version with updated drivers and patches for current hardware!

LordDan
Donator
Donator

Post by LordDan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 am

Greetings Sop...

I'll second Elmojo's request for a Win7 version. Yes, it's getting to be an older OS, but it's still fully supported by Microsoft for another 2 1/2 years, so it's far from obsolete. Heck, I still know a handful of people still running XP (on non-critical systems)... (EOL of Win7 is January 2020, fyi).

It is too bad MS keeps putting all that crap into Win10 though - it has such potential to be a decent operating system, but the powers that be over there keep insisting that MS is still the 100 pound gorilla in the room, and us lowly users are stuck with putting up with it while they continue to throw junk into their flagship OS.

Eventually, after Win7 is no longer supported, I know there will be a mass exodus away from it and over to Win10 at that time - but until then, like Elmojo, I have absolutely no desire to 'downgrade' to Win10, and I'm absolutely certain I'm not the only one! :)

Anyway, it was great to hear from you again Sop! My offer to help still stands when you're ready... :)

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am

Elmojo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am

....at least until we find a really clean and reliable way of purging all the tracking, advertising and telemetry garbage M$ is insisting on injecting into the OS.

I totally get that Windows 7 is quite old, and honestly should be replaced with a more modern OS that incorporates better security and usability features.
LordDan wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 am

It is too bad MS keeps putting all that crap into Win10 though - it has such potential to be a decent operating system, but the powers that be over there keep insisting that MS is still the 100 pound gorilla in the room, and us lowly users are stuck with putting up with it while they continue to throw junk into their flagship OS.
Well that's kinda my point....

As you both pointed out, Win 7 is getting kinda old. Win 7 doesn't really support new hardware. Win 10 is modern with better security. People will be moving to Win 10. And Win 10 is filled with crap.

I think that is exactly why we need a WinBorg10. Remove all the crap and streamline it to make it awesome like the way WinBorg7 made Windows7 awesome, but this time with a newer more functional OS... right?

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:21 am

and a lot of us still kickin old hardware who could still use a new win7. and don't really even want to try 10 in it.
good to hear you still got it in mind.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 am

I totally agree with you ajdedo, but if Sop was hitting a wall trying to build the new version on WinBorg on the Win8 PE, I'd imagine doing in on Win10 would be even tougher. I would LOVE a cleaned up version of Windows 10 that doesn't spy on me, play ads on my desktop, or listen to my conversations, all of which the current retail version does.
If Sop was able to "Borg" Win10 into something usable but not invasive, I'd be all over that!
I wish I could be of some assistance to the effort, other than moral support, of course! ;)

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey guys, I hear you have some questions!

re: Win10 -- I can count the number of times I've used Win10 on one hand. The exact number is 7 and yes that means my right hand is in fact a many-fingered freak show and it's why I never leave the house ;) ... seriously, even though I was being serious before, all my hardware is still Win7 compatible and the only thing that I've been missing in my life because I have shunned Win10 is that I can't yet play Civilization VI which will only work on the evilness that is Windows 10. I've got a decent CPU and I know that maybe a new OS might be a bit quicker here and there but I am perfectly happy with the speed at which I get things done with my computer.

I really wanted to get Win8pe working and I will have another crack at it, because this helps prolong the life of WinBorg 7 and I would be happy developing it further. Wish me luck in that endeavor!

Regarding a WinBorg 10: at some point I will need to be able to install a version of Windows 10 that I like. I will still probably be using Win7 but I have a large 'client' base that might need it and I like to keep them happy ;) If I haven't got around to developing one myself, I may see if I can find a warez release that I like and modify that with the settings I think it should have. So, AJ, it might not be tomorrow, but it's in my mind to get one done.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 am

soporific wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm
...I can't yet play Civilization VI which will only work on the evilness that is Windows 10.
Not true, I played Civ VI on my Win7 x64 rig, up until right before I reformatted to install WinBorg in fact...

I'd like to put my name in the hat as one who is VERY interested in anything you choose to work on or release.
I've never used anything from you that wasn't top notch! 8-)

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Elmojo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 am
soporific wrote:
...I can't yet play Civilization VI which will only work on the evilness that is Windows 10.
Not true, I played Civ VI on my Win7 x64 rig
Correct, the system requirements state:
Windows 7 64bit / 8.1 64bit / 10 64bit

http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles ... quirements
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... on-6/13429

Maybe sop tested on a 32-bit version of Win7 :-)

Regards.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:14 pm

soporific wrote:
So, AJ, it might not be tomorrow, but it's in my mind to get one done.
I'm holding my breath! :sick

REVIEW: I've been using Win 10 for 2 weeks now, and yes, they've embedded ads in the OS. I mean really....

PROS:
Super fast.
Small learning curve from Win 7
Looks and feels 21st century
Works with high res screens
All around good OS

CONS:
Ads.... I mean really. Hopefully there are hacks to remove them
IE Edge starts every time you log on. Again, <head shake> hopefully there is a hack to stop that
Nothing else right now.

OTHER: At first it looks all Win 8 metro, but a few fast deletions of the quick start squares and you have a Win 7 vibe almost immediately.

Anyway, that's my 2 week experience. Do the Pro's outweigh the Cons? I'd say definitely. The only thing to replace my Win 10 is a WinBorg 10. So.... back to :sick

;)

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 pm

ajdedo wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:14 pm
REVIEW: I've been using Win 10 for 2 weeks now, and yes, they've embedded ads in the OS. I mean really....

PROS:
Super fast.
Small learning curve from Win 7
Looks and feels 21st century
Works with high res screens
All around good OS

CONS:
Ads.... I mean really. Hopefully there are hacks to remove them
IE Edge starts every time you log on. Again, <head shake> hopefully there is a hack to stop that
Nothing else right now.
Mandatory telemetry is a big negative in my opinion.

Regards.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:32 am

maze438 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 pm
Mandatory telemetry is a big negative in my opinion.
Agreed.
Blackbird.

nmsconsultoria
Donator
Donator

Post by nmsconsultoria » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 am

Does e-mule run fine on Windows 10? Is privacy with regard to e-mule any more of a concern on W10 versus W7?

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:31 pm

nmsconsultoria wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 am
Does e-mule run fine on Windows 10? Is privacy with regard to e-mule any more of a concern on W10 versus W7?
eMule 0.50a was released 7 years ago. Maybe it's time to move on?
There was a push for 0.50b 2 years ago, but it didn't make it past beta.

Regards.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 pm

maze438 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:31 pm
nmsconsultoria wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 am
eMule 0.50a was released 7 years ago. Maybe it's time to move on?
There was a push for 0.50b 2 years ago, but it didn't make it past beta.

Regards.
Yeah, it sort of make me wonder about the future of ed2k. Or even the present day viability of ed2k. I mean, for me, torrents are the source of all the content I'm looking for. I only stop by here once in while to check in on Sop and WonBorg. But that's about it.

nmsconsultoria
Donator
Donator

Post by nmsconsultoria » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Ha ha ha, I'm definitely 50b, wouldn't be caught dead with 50a. Brrrr. But seriously, I'm like an oldie who's an eternal newbie, or, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't begin to know what was better. I've tried one or two but never felt they were downloading any faster than the trusted mule. I too have reluctantly dabbled in torrents, dazzled by the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it speeds but i just find us STF folk are so much more civilised. It's chaos out there in torrent land, a veritable each man for himself, but here we have our lovely site and community where order and progress prevail. He he.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 pm

nmsconsultoria wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm
I too have reluctantly dabbled in torrents, dazzled by the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it speeds but i just find us STF folk are so much more civilised. It's chaos out there in torrent land
Well maybe the civilized people at STF should start trading torrents....

----
Nope, we're way too civilized for that.
It's one of the reasons we're still around after ~15 years.
So let's stay on topic, ie WinBorg. :)
~momijigari

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”