soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by soporific » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am

Okay, MEGA NEW NEWS: The next version of WinBorg 7 will blow all previous versions out of the water! Especially January 2017!

Here's a short list of major changes:

* I now use sysprep to install all the updates, meaning there's none left to update when you install the OS (you don't have to wait while the 'last minute' updates' get installed). Thanks to the original creator of LastOS for the help!

* I will be using Win8pe to boot the disc, it replaces Win7pe. This means that newer hardware will automatically be recognized and you won't have USB 3.0 issues. I know some people will be very happy with this news, AJ in particular.

* and lastly, I will be attempting to use a ESD file instead of a WIM file to install the OS: it uses MUCH less space: for a 4.48 GB WIM, this translates to a 2.21 GB ESD .... half the size!!! Means the project will be smaller and more space to put apps. This is quite tricky though and so I might not get this working... but that's the goal.

This does mean that a new version isn't just around the corner, but if all goes well, you can expect a new version in a couple of weeks, maybe earlier.

Stay tuned...

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 am

Awesome news Sop, can't wait!
Well, obviously I'll have to, but you know what I mean. ;)

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Just saw that Microsoft wants to prevent users from installing Win7 on recent CPUs (Intel Kaby Lake, AMD RyZen).
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/03/1 ... ndows-7-81

For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

maze438 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm
For the time being, this seems to be just about Windows Update. So installing WinBorg7 should be OK, right?

sop, can you work around that?
Installing WinBorg won't be a prob but the WUs might be if MS don't reverse their policy. It seems to me to be a drastic move by MS that may ruffle enough feathers to get them to reverse this decision but I wouldn't bet on it...

TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down. Instead of enhancing the old system, they took a step back with the new one :(

So, sooner or later, I'll be moving up and OS and starting to mod it. But not for a while and I am still absolutely releasing at least one more WinBorg 7 ... coming soon!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm

soporific wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am
TBH, I am thinking of soon (reluctantly) moving up an OS to either 8.1 or Win10 for reasons that include wanting to play DX12 games and various other things Win7 users are missing out on. Win8.1 if they reverse their decision or (very reluctantly) Win10. But only Win10 after I've made it look as much like Win7 as I can, it is amazing how bad the the default usability is, you have to learn a completely new system that is stupid and dumbed-down.
I'm sure you know DirectX 12 is Win10-only (and also Xbox One, of course).

Just for fun, here's the list of stuff Win10 reports back to Microsoft:
https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/win ... and-fields

This tool might be interesting:
http://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/

Regards.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Any estimate on when the new version might be ready?
I have a new build that will be needing an OS very shortly, and I'd love to use yours if it's ready.
This will be a 200 series intel board, so it might be a bit of a challenge with the old version.
Can't wait to try out the new hotness! :D

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Hi guys,

There is a small delay while I finish up with another hat I'm wearing.... I'm the club registrar for my local football (soccer) club and I am snowed under with dealing with snooty parents and lazy kids who can't follow even the simplest of instructions ... I was supposed to be already finished with it all but it's dragging on.

Project news: I have the new OS all ready to go, I have successfully made a PE using Win 8.1, just sorting out a few issues, and I'm hoping the ESD plan comes good, but I've yet to work on this part. If all goes well, I'll have something out by the end of the month. The idea is that the next release will stand the test of time. More news in a week...

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am

Maze, thanks for the info. Too busy to digest it but will soon...

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:30 am

Excellent news Sop!
So does this mean that the next version is based on Win8.1, or just the PE?
Hopefully just the PE, but looking to clarify...
Also, bummed to hear that it won't be ready until the end of the month, since I'll be doing my install in the next several days.
Oh well, real life takes the front seat, right? :)
Thanks so much for your work on this amazing OS version. I've really enjoyed it since you've taken over development, it's much cleaner now!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:04 pm

soporific wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 am
Project news: I have the new OS all ready to go, I have successfully made a PE using Win 8.1, just sorting out a few issues, and I'm hoping the ESD plan comes good, but I've yet to work on this part. If all goes well, I'll have something out by the end of the month. The idea is that the next release will stand the test of time. More news in a week...
Hey sop, are you working on win7, or win10, or something else? :-)

Smut Master

Post by Smut Master » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I hope all is well with him, he has been quiet far too long

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Indeed. Pretty soon we'll need a WinBorg 11.

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”