So you want to contribute to STF by giving us a link for a music file? Thanks for the input, but you will have to follow some simple rules so that the forum remains clean and easily readable!
The aim is simply to keep the forum clean, and since we have many different people posting it's necessary to establish some basic rules all must follow, and freely improve if they feel like it! As long as some basic information are in the topic, you are free to post as you wish! Good posting!!
If you want to know how to share an album uploaded by yourself ARCH has made a very complete topic explaining it all RIGHT HERE.
- 1 - WHAT SHOULD BE POSTED HERE, WHAT SHOULDN'T
This section is named "Singles and Promos", so NO COMPILATIONS, COMPLETE ALBUMS or SOUNDTRACKS.
- Lossy Complete Albums and Compilations (with file formats like: MP3, AAC, MPC, OGG, WMA, etc.) go in THIS FORUM
- Lossless Complete Albums and Compilations (with file formats like: FLAC, WAV, MLP, APE, TTA, ALS, etc.) go in THIS FORUM
- Soundtracks or "OSTs" (of a movie, a TV series or a video game for example) go in THIS FORUM
In this section, you can either post a link to a single file or a link to an archive with one (or more) files (with eventually covers, NFO or SFV files etc).
"Singles & Promos" also includes EPs, CDS/CDM and any release not considered as a full-length album, compilation or soundtrack.
- 2 - POSTING: THE TOPIC SUBJECT LINE - please pay special attention to this part!
This is the first thing people see when they enter the forum so you want to keep it SHORT, CLEAN and PRECISE (and accurate PLEASE!).
Only 4 things in the topic title:
1 - The artist/group name
2 - The single/promo name
3 - The release year (if it's a re-release put the year it was re-released in) between parenthesis ( )
4 - The genre (ONLY ONE of the genres mentioned in the following list!) between brackets [ ]
The actual rules of STF define music genres into different musical styles:
Of course, classifying music into one category is sometimes difficult, but if you look at it right you shouldn't have too many problems. If you do, please say so in you post and someone will help you! If you have no idea, put [GENRE] in your subject line, you can still edit it later (or a moderator will do it for you).01) [Soul] (Swing/Ragtime/Soul/Gospel/Blues)
02) [Rap] (Rap/Hip-Hop)
03) [Electronic] (Techno/trance/Ambient/Breakbeat/Electro/Electronica/House/Drum and Bass)
04) [Metal] (Alternative metal/Black metal/Death metal/Death rock/Gothic metal/Heavy metal/Melodic metal)
05) [Rock] (Alternative rock/grunge/Emo/Funk rock/Indie rock/Nu metal/Soul rock/Soft rock/Rock & Roll)
06) [Punk] (Punk/Oï/Hardcore/Electro Punk)
07) [Pop] (Country pop/Dream pop)
08) [Classical] (opera/instrumental)
09) [Country] (Alternative country/Country gospel/Outlaw country)
10) [Dance] (Folk dance music/1920s dance music/Disco)
11) [Reggae] (Reggae/Ska/Ragga)
12) [R&B] (Rythm And Blues, R'n'B, pop RnB, urban pop)
13) [World] (Latin/African/cultural beats/...)
14) [Jazz] (Latin jazz/Jazz fusion/...)
So if you're posting this release:
your subject line should be:
Slipknot - Psychosocial (2008) [Metal]
Please use spaces (no underscores _ or dots . ) and DO NOT put anything else than required.
- 3 - POSTING: THE TOPIC ITSELF
So this is the part where you can be creative. Why? Well to make your post look nice! Just avoid putting useless pictures and plain nonsense, we want info about the link (the file) and that's all!
There are just some things that are MANDATORY:
1 - A picture of the front cover (and the image should be hosted on a site like imageshack or photobucket) IF POSSIBLE, otherwise any picture concerning the artist/band,
2 - A link to the artist/band's official MySpace page and/or links to Wikipedia and other valuable sources of information IF POSSIBLE, otherwise any link concerning the artist/band,
3 - A tracklist of the release as well as the quality (and format if it's not MP3),
4 - Some information about the artist/band or album IF POSSIBLE,
5 - The ED2K link of course!
We insist that the image of the single/promo front cover must be hosted on a hosting site. ShareTheFiles has its own hosting service you can use HERE
We are not too fussy about what you include here just as long as ALL points listed above are included. Feel free to make something nice (but keep it classy and clean please) it's always appreciated!
Also know that if you have the NFO file just copy it between "code" tags [ code ] and [ /code ] or [ nfo ] [ /nfo ] (without the spaces). This way we have all the information needed (release date, quality, tracklist, eventual comments or info).
Also, if you have the information, please indicate which MP3 encoder was used to encode (wether LAME, Xing etc.). Any further information about the music quality is welcome.
- 4 - THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT POSTING
Posting a single or promo is not as complex as posting a movie so this guide should cover it all.
There are nevertheless some particularities that you should be aware of.
When you're posting a topic, check if it hasn't already been posted by somebody else. If it has, check if your link is the same as the one already posted and if it isn't, as a reply to the original message post your link in the topic. You must still follow the rules mentioned in part 3 apart from the stuff already posted (myspace link, album cover, for example). If your link is the same file as the one already posted but only with a different hash (identification code) just say so in you post (same file, different hash) and put the ED2K link.
For example, an "ADVANCE" version of an album is released and someone creates a thread for it, when the retail is released it is posted in that thread.
The best information about a release is in the NFO file. If you do not have it try a google search for it. There are many many websites that collect all NFO files released.
Good posting on STF and remember, it's all about the sharing!