No AC3 SD movies?

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
Elmojo

No AC3 SD movies?

Post by Elmojo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 am

I've noticed lately that most of the SD movie releases are 2ch stereo, rather than the 5.1ch AC3 that I've been used to for the past several years.
Is there a reason for that? I really miss the surround sound, but I don't have the bandwidth or drive space for HD copies.

Sinyk
Donator
Donator

Re: No AC3 SD movies?

Post by Sinyk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am

I would have to echo Elmojo's sentiments. I, too, prefer the SD with 5.1ch feature that no longer appear for the same reasons he (or she) gives above.

CheGuevara
The Governor
The Governor

Post by CheGuevara » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 am

It's pretty simple. Get good quality video and audio or get average for both.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 am

I understand that logic, but for many of us, the SD releases are plenty good video-wise, but audio quality is more important.
I can put up with fairly poor quality video, if the audio is excellent.
What I don't get is why all the releases up until recently were primarily AC3 5.1, but have dropped back to 2ch audio.
This is a step backwards in quality. Surely it can't save that much in file size to be worth giving up surround?
It's not like the video quality has gotten noticeably better...

CheGuevara
The Governor
The Governor

Post by CheGuevara » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Not sure what past releases you had in mind. But scene SD rules have not allowed AC3 for years

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 am

Really? That long?
Man, I guess I just thought the releases had been poor quality in the audio department, and hadn't noticed it was an actual scene decision.
So there's no way to get decent (5.1) audio without downloading the massive HD video files?
It just seems to make no sense not to include multichannel audio in all releases.
I need to try to find some sort of scene 'press release' or something that explains why. Maybe there's more too it that I'm missing, but it feels odd.

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Elmojo I'm with you, it seems like such a shame !
there are however some very good releases in the the "non retail" section that have AC3
they just don't have the colour depth that a blu ray has

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:30 am

Yeah, I've been browsing that section a lot more lately, now that the "official" releases are such a disappointment.
I still can't grasp how those who run the scene could imagine that we'd be ok with 1980's sound tech for our brand new movies, when the means to include multi-channel sound exists, and in fact had been included as 'default' for so long. I tried looking up the new rule info to see if there was some good reason for the change that I was missing, and really found nothing coherent. There was tons of scene release guideline data, but nothing that I could make any sense of for explaining the step backwards in sound quality.

paul1966

Post by paul1966 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Elmojo I'm still with you !!
thinking back to the file sizes when everything was .AVI it would take me a good few hours to down load a film
now .MKV files can be down in under ten minutes not just because of better compression but I also have better internet speed,
also the price of storage is significantly cheaper, I used to burn all films onto DVD now I have a 4tb HDD & let plex sort it out.
I almost forgot the playback hardware is better now, I have a 4K HDR TV with plex built in that has optical out to my DD5.1/DTS amp

but what can you do, I can only DL what is there !

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:19 pm

So true. I hate to sound so whiny. After all, the scene folks are doing a wonderful job ripping and prepping all these releases for us to enjoy free of charge. I just wish there was at least an option for better sound to go with our fancy HD/4K hardware. The only thing that's not high-end at my location is my internet connection, and I don't have control over that. I can only get 10MB out here in the boonies, so downloading everything in HD to get the better sound isn't a great option. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, right? ;)

LordDan

Post by LordDan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Good morning guys,

Keep in mind that in 'most' cases, there ARE higher resolution releases out there that DO have better video and audio! You're talking about the standard definition releases, which by their very nature, are not great. They're suitable for things like portable devices (phones, tablets, small TV's), so please remember that you're talking about what is considered to be the lowest end of a retail rip in most cases. If you're so concerned about better quality video and audio, and since you've got the hard drive space (and internet connection speed), then download the better quality files.

Plus, like you said, the releasers here do a fantastic job at putting everything together for us and do their best to establish and follow a set of rules for releases to make it consistent for everyone else to replicate, (not to mention the free part)... But really... if you're wanting to play a standard definition release on a 4k screen and expect to have awesome video and audio quality - that's just unrealistic. :(

my 2 cents...

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”