AVI to DVD using TMPEnc Utilities

One of our most important areas. Learn to use this site, improve your download speeds, convert to DVD and much more.
OldChemist

AVI to DVD using TMPEnc Utilities

Post by OldChemist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:52 am

Tutorial: AVI to DVD using TMPGEnc Utilities

In this tutorial you will learn how to to create a DVD from AVI files. You will be taught how to create the DVD and then how to burn the DVD. This tutorial will link you to all programs in which are required to follow along with this tutorial. This tutorial will include images to help guide you along the process of creating and burning your DVD.

Tools Needed

1. TMPGEnc Xpress v4.2.3.193 - TMPGEnc Xpress will allow you to create the necessary files in order to create your DVD.

2. TMPGEnc DVD Author v3.0.5.149 - TMPGEnc DVD Author will allow you to create a DVD with menu's while allowing you to burn once completed.

Creating DVD Ready Files

Before you can create a DVD with menu's you need to convert the AVI files to files which are ready for DVD creation. In this section of the guide you will be guided on how to create these DVD ready files.

1. Open up TMPGEnc Xpress 4
2. Under the Start tab click "Start a new project"

3. Under the Source tab click "Add file" and browse the the file you want to burn to DVD. TMPGEnc Xpress will open up the "Clip editor", since we wont be editing the clip just click "Ok" to close the "Clip editor". You can add as many files as you wish, but the more files you add the worse your DVD quality will be. It's important to try and limit the amount of files to 3-4 at max so as to not create an unwatchable DVD.

4. Once you finish adding your files, click the Format tab to proceed.

5. Once in the Format tab a "Output format selection" wizard will open up for you. Since we are creating a DVD click "DVD standard MPEG file" from the left pane of the wizard. Under Video system choose NTSC if you're in North America and choose PAL otherwise. Once finished hit Select at the bottom of the wizard.

6. Once the "Encode/bitrate settings" wizard pops up make sure to set the "Audio bitrate" to 192 and the "Output" should be set to DVD 4.7 (UDF). Hit "OK" to proceed.

7. Back in the Format tab make sure you select "ES (Video + Audio)" from the "Output stream type". Also make sure to set the "Output mode" to "Output each clip in a separate file", this will make sure you obtain all the necessary files for your DVD. Click the Encode tab to proceed.

8. Once in the Encode tab click "Browse..." and select a folder in which you want your files to be placed. In this example I choose "D:\TEMP\AVI to DVD Guide\test files" as my output folder. Once you've selected your output folder click the first button to start encoding.

Once the encoding process is complete you can carry onto the next session which will show you how to create a DVD with menu's.
Last edited by OldChemist on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldChemist

Post by OldChemist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:17 am

Creating the DVD with Menu's

Now that you got your DVD ready files you can begin creating a DVD with menu's. In this section you will learn how to create the DVD with menu's.

1. Open up TMPGEnc DVD Author 3
2. Make sure before proceeding to select the proper "Output format". The output format should be the same as you choose in the previous section. In this guide I'll be using the NTSC format. Once the output format is selected choose "Start a new project" to proceed.

3. In the Source tab click "Add file" and browse to your files which you created from the previous section. When choosing a file make sure you choose the *.m2v file, which is the video component of your file. Once you choose your file the "Clip addition" wizard will open up, we wont be needing it so just hit the "OK" button to proceed.

4. To give your file a name click the "Settings" button under your file in the left pane. Once complete you can add a new file by clicking the "Add a track" button at the top. You can add as many files as you wish, just follow steps 3-4 until you're done adding your files. When finished click the Menu tab at the top to proceed.

5. With the "Menu Wizard" open select "Create a menu based on a template" to start creating a menu for your DVD. Click "Next..." to proceed with the wizard.

6. Select your desired theme and click "Next..." to proceed with the wizard.

7. Since we want a fully featured menu click "Top and track menu" and than click "Next..." to proceed with the wizard.

8. Click "Display the top menu" to display the DVD menu upon inserting the DVD into a DVD player. Click "Play the next track" to allow the DVD player to play tracks in a continuous sequence. Hit "OK" to end the "Menu Wizard".

9. To give your DVD menu a name click "Title" under the "Top menu" in the left pane. Once the visual shows up double-click the word Title to open up the editor. Give the DVD menu a name and close the editor. Click on the Output tab to proceed.

10. Under "Output folder name" browse to where you want your DVD to be outputted. Under "Transcode settings" make sure to select "Single Layer DVD media" if you're using a normal 4.7 GB blank DVD. Click "Start output" to start the conversion process.

OldChemist

Post by OldChemist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:18 am

Burning the DVD

Now that we've got the DVD created we can burn the DVD. This section will show you how to burn the DVD using TMPGEnc DVD Author.

1. Open up TMPGEnc DVD Author 3

2. Under the "Tools menu" choose "Launch the Disc writing tool"

3. In the "Disc writing tool" popup click "Add folder" and browse to the folder containing your newly created DVD files from the previous section. Make sure the "Content folder" only contains the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. The AUDIO_TS folder should be empty while the VIDEO_TS should contain the video files (*.VOB, *.BUF, *.IFO, etc). The AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders should be setup for your if you've followed the previous section.

4. Click "Label" and give the DVD a name.

5. Click "Speed" and select 4x. If you burn at a high speed there's a chance the DVD might not burn properly. No matter what I do I always select 4x as a burning speed.

6. Click "Write disc" to burn the DVD.

You have now completed the AVI to DVD process. By this time you should have a DVD ready to be played in any DVD player.

Troubleshooting

In the event something goes wrong in the conversion process most of these problems are caused by not having the proper codecs on your system. To get the proper codecs you can obtain the codecs separately as per Mony's codec guide. Another option is to install a codec pack such as CCCP. If installing a codec pack make sure to install only one codec pack and do not try to mix and match different codec packs as they tend to cause system instabilities.

OldChemist

Post by OldChemist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:28 am

This guide is complete, any suggestions are welcome.

TheAnomaly
Donator
Donator

Post by TheAnomaly » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 am

I didn't look at it closely, just skimmed through it, but it looks pretty good. :D

ARCH

Post by ARCH » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:32 pm

OldChemist

Post by OldChemist » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah, sorry for the unverified link. I searched on STF.com and didn't find it so I had to get one from an eMule search. I don't use eMule all that often so wasn't able to download it myself as I have BT running full force.

ARCH

Post by ARCH » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Needn't worry :D

ARCH

Post by ARCH » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Verified.

I'll revise this guide tonight and move it to Tutorials tomorrow if no further modifications are needed.

If another Staff member needs to revise it too, the time is now.

OldChemist

Post by OldChemist » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks for the verification ARCH, I need to start using eMule more :p.

ARCH

Post by ARCH » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:29 am

Checked; all is well.

Brilliant work mate, well done.

Moved.

Return to “Tutorials”