How to make Wiggle-3D animated gif files/pictures

One of our most important areas. Learn to use this site, improve your download speeds, convert to DVD and much more.
bushymait
Banned

Post by bushymait » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

If you own a 3D camera then jump down to where i explain on how to use Stereo Photo Maker.

Using a simple Digital Camera you have to do two shots (left & right).
Don't even try to do it free handed, well, it could work after a glass
of cough syrup.. :P - i suggest using a tripod or some other type of stand.

Photographing the scene:

Find a scene that will work well in Wiggle 3D. The main subject is in the middleground with
ample foreground and background elements to create parallax for depth perception.

(I did this simple animation to make it more understandable).

Photograph the scene twice, moving the camera to one side or the other about eye-width
apart (about four inches from pupil to pupil, in other words). Frame the scene with one
eye open then swap to the other eye to get a feel for it.

Remember to keep the subject in the same place in the viewfinder, keeping in mind that
the background and foreground elements will move some, which makes the whole effect possible.

Example:

Dionysus by Edward McCartan, gilt bronze, collection of Brookgreen Gardens, Pawleys Island, SC. Photo by David FitzSimmons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional pointers:

As much as possible, use the same manual settings—manual focus, manual exposure, pre-set white balance,
etc.—for both captures to keep the images as identical as possible. Even a slight adjustment of framing
may be enough to alter a programmed exposure or white balance, which will have a negative impact on the animation.

Main subjects usually are best placed in the middleground. Follow the classic layering techniques to give
the images both foreground and background intrigue.

Landscape is usually better than portrait for Wiggle 3D animations.

Vertical subjects work particularly well; when used as the axis of rotation, virtually no part of them
appears to move. While many Wiggle 3D compositions work well with subjects placed in the center of the
image, interesting effects can be achieved by placing your main subject off-center. But it's easier to
get started with centered compositions.

Tripods are almost a necessity, and it helps to be on level ground.

Use a level, such as the hot-shoe type, to keep the camera horizontal.

Move your camera in an arc around the subject, not parallel to the subject. Imagine your camera rotating
on the end of a string that is tied to the main subject.

Always move the camera left or right rather than up or down.

Experiment with the left/right distance. About 4 inches works well for most subjects, but try varying the
distance for different subject distances and focal lengths. In general, close subjects, especially with
telephoto lenses, require smaller left/right distances.

It is usually better to shoot with wide angle lenses and then crop later. While subjects may appear small
relative to expansive scenes, the wiggling of the foreground and background elements will focus the
viewer’s attention onto the main (not-wiggling) subject.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stereo Photo Maker Program

So now i did a few shots and i have downloaded Stereo Photo Maker from THIS website.
It is freeware and comes in four languages (en, de, fr and jp), also several guides can be found there.

Once started the program, load both of your shots, the left and right picture.
You can do that by draging the pics into it or use the FILE Menu on top.

On top menu select 'Stereo/Single Image View/Flashing, or simple hit Ctrl+F11.

Now you can tip the Arrow keys to eliminate horizontal and vertical errors.
In the "Flashing" dialog you can set the speed of the left/right change.
I leave the speed as it is because i think it is the best setting for the effect.

Happy with the settings and speed? Go ahead and save your work.

Done.

Here are my first and second attempts, not perfect but i am on my way:

The program allows to save in different formats, several 3D formats like
grey or color anaglyph if you want to use anaglyph glasses and also
a format for 3D TV's and shutter glasses is there.

Here the same work saved as ColorAnaglyph / Dubois (red/cyan):

Here some professional wigglers found in the internet:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I hope you enjoy this as much as i do, i can't wait to see your work posted on stf.

Return to “Tutorials”