soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

soporific's WinBorg Discussion

Post by soporific » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:32 am

I only just decided to visit this thread on a whim, as I thought I'd retired from modding MS OSes, but.... the urge to make a new one is simmering.... who wants a new version?

LordDan

Re: WinBorg.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.March.(2015)-SOPORIFIC

Post by LordDan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:50 am

I'll admit, it would be nice to see an updated version with all the Windows Updates included along with more current releases of the extra software. :)

I'm getting a new computer in the not-too-distant future and it would be nice to put a clean install of this on it instead of the pre-installed Win10 (which I'm still not entirely all-in on yet, and still prefer Win7... for now anyway).

Regards. :)

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 am

I still happily run WinBorg 7 and have no interest in moving to 10 just yet.

But there is a small niche that I would appreciate seeing something created....

After experiencing a malware attack last week, and being forced to make a clean install of my OS, I lamented not having an ultimate rescue boot disk. Something that runs on a USB drive and has a mini OS with all the tools to scan, clean, and repair, my main installation. Something with a bunch of repair tools to run live. Of course being on USB, it could also hold WinBorg, Office, other software, and anything else it could fit in 32 gigs. ;)

That would be sweet.... Maybe WinBorg repackaged to run off USB along side a Windows 7 live version with tools and software?

Just sayin' ;)

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 am

I'd love a new version of a win7-based OS, Yes please!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:55 pm

LordDan wrote:I'll admit, it would be nice to see an updated version with all the Windows Updates included along with more current releases of the extra software. :)

I'm getting a new computer in the not-too-distant future and it would be nice to put a clean install of this on it instead of the pre-installed Win10 (which I'm still not entirely all-in on yet, and still prefer Win7... for now anyway).
Would be nice to have an updated Winborg7 ;-)

It seems several "updates" should be left out if possible, such as the telemetry crap, and perhaps other stuff I don't even know about, since I'm not following the Windows scene closely enough.

e.g. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... id.379151/

I don't think DX12 will ever be available on Win7. Maybe Vulkan will be, though?

Regards.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:38 am

Baking in eHCI drivers would be a big help also. I just spent parts of 3 days trying to figure out why I couldn't get WinBorg to install on a new system based on a motherboard with a H170 chipset. It appears that any Intel 100-series motherboard will have this issue, since Intel dropped eHCI drivers in favor of the newer xHCI setup, with no legacy support. What this means for us regular slobs is that when you attempt to install this (or any other Win7 OS) on any 100-series motherboard, it will fail with an error about a missing DVD driver, even if you're installing from USB. It about drove me nuts until I found the tool to patch in the drivers and rebuild the image. What a pain!

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:54 am

Elmojo wrote:Baking in eHCI drivers would be a big help also. I just spent parts of 3 days trying to figure out why I couldn't get WinBorg to install on a new system based on a motherboard with a H170 chipset. It appears that any Intel 100-series motherboard will have this issue, since Intel dropped eHCI drivers in favor of the newer xHCI setup, with no legacy support. What this means for us regular slobs is that when you attempt to install this (or any other Win7 OS) on any 100-series motherboard, it will fail with an error about a missing DVD driver, even if you're installing from USB. It about drove me nuts until I found the tool to patch in the drivers and rebuild the image. What a pain!
I actually know how to do what you are asking for. Back in the day when I was part of the modding scene, a friend of mine came up with the process to add pre-boot drivers to the project. So, it should work. I just have to get around to starting a new build ... how does xmas sound for everyone?

skorpius

Post by skorpius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:08 am

that would be a nice christmas gift, sir soporific, thanks in advance . . .

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I'm trying to install this on a Win 10 machine with a UEFI bios.

I can get the computer to boot in to the PELive screen, but the "install Windows" icon is not showing.

I also can not see the USB directory when in PELive.

Thanks.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Read my message 5 above yours. That's probably your issue.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:57 pm

ajdedo wrote:I'm trying to install this on a Win 10 machine with a UEFI bios.

I can get the computer to boot in to the PELive screen, but the "install Windows" icon is not showing.

Thanks.
Elmojo is correct, all the old Winborg projects are missing the drivers needed to recognise a UEFI MB. I plan on releasing a test project that will be small in size for peeps to test on their machines. Coming soonish...

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey sop,

I read that "individual patches will no longer be available".

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/08/2 ... s-7-and-81
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/win ... ndows-8-1/

Won't this make modding more complicated? (For removing telemetry crap, for instance)

Regards.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 am

maze438 wrote:Hey sop,

I read that "individual patches will no longer be available".

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/08/2 ... s-7-and-81
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/win ... ndows-8-1/

Won't this make modding more complicated? (For removing telemetry crap, for instance)

Regards.
There are ways around it. One that springs readily to mind is running the Never10 app when setup finishes. Google it.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

WinBorg.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.March.(2015)-SOPORIFIC

Post by ajdedo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:25 am

soporific wrote:
ajdedo wrote:I'm trying to install this on a Win 10 machine with a UEFI bios.

Thanks.
Elmojo is correct, all the old Winborg projects are missing the drivers needed to recognise a UEFI MB. I plan on releasing a test project that will be small in size for peeps to test on their machines. Coming soonish...
OH OH OH OH! I didn't see this response until now!

Well I spent 2 weeks on this, unsuccessfully. But I did learn what my problem was (because I got a regular Windows 7 ISO to work, but still not WinBorg).

I need USB 3.0 drivers and an NVM Express hotfix 2990941 integrated.

I can find the NVM Express drivers and installation instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

I followed those instruction and like I said, I got a regular Winows 7 ISO to work, but still not WinBorg.

I tried adding them to (sources/install.wim) on WinBorg, but that wasn't enough.

Can you tell me which files on the WB ISO I need to add the USB 3.0 drivers and the NVM Express hotfix (.msu) to so that Winborg will work?

Oh, and it needs to be bootable with UEFI/GPT ;-)

Thanks!

P.S. I started using Easy2Boot http://www.easy2boot.com/ for my installations. Very cool since it will hold several ISOs on 1 USB drive.

Elmojo

Post by Elmojo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:53 pm

FYI to everyone having Win7 install nightmares on newer (Intel 100-series) motherboards:
Some Mobo manufacturers are finally starting to catch on and integrate fixes.
I just built a system using an MSI H110M Pro-VD (Yes, they really named it that) board that has a "Windows 7 install" option in the UEFI.
With that turned on, I used my unmodified WinBorg 7 disc to install with no issues.
Naturally this won't help you if you already have a board that doesn't include a similar fix, but at least we know some board makers are catching on and aren't abandoning Win7 completely.
In the meantime, hopefully Sop will be able to integrate the required driver/patch/whatever into the next version to help us out.

dudeuk

Post by dudeuk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:59 pm

was going to try out the hotfix with a win 7 image...
was sent the url's in a email.. but download urls not work for me..
does anyone have alternate downloads for them hotfixes needed then ill try it out..

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%2 ... 64_zip.exe

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%2 ... 64_zip.exe

seems im ok to download them though tor browser.. but any other browser was being blocked strange..

hotfixes went in ok.. boot wim already got Mass Storage 12.12.1 x64 drivers added
ill add x64 usb drivers pack i got here to boot wim aswell.. think it has quite a few different usb drivers including 3.0 and 3.1

im going to need some one who can test a win 7 ISO x64 build who's pc needs USB drivers and an NVM Express hotfix 2990941 integrated.. please send me a PM..

ive done a few install tests on a few pc's and they all seem ok..

my win 7 build with USB drivers and an NVM Express hotfix (info only)
Spoiler: Toggle

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:49 am

I have officially started work on the new build, a release is about a month away...

* It will only be x64
* It will be over 4.38 GB so you will need to install via USB (or burn a double-sided DVDr)
* It will include an apps library
* It will be awesome

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:04 am

Oh Oh Oh Oh!

It's like Christmas in November!

An APP library too!!

Can I get MS Office, Photoshop, and a safe copy of Roboform?

Thanks!

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:43 am

ajdedo wrote:Can I get MS Office, Photoshop, and a safe copy of Roboform?
It saddens me to see so much dependence on proprietary apps; even when there are perfectly good free software alternatives.
(Sop, can you provide a few in the apps library?)

Please give LibreOffice a try.
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

I also hear GIMP has greatly improved in the past few years.
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

As for password managers, I don't know if the alternatives are good enough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_password_managers

One day, games will no longer be exclusive to Windows, and we will be able to replace even the operating system.

Regards.

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:01 am

maze438 wrote:
It saddens me to see so much dependence on proprietary apps; even when there are perfectly good free software alternatives.
Yeah, but the ones I listed are good. The open source don't compare. Except maybe the password managers which I haven't tried.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

ajdedo wrote:
maze438 wrote:
Yeah, but the ones I listed are good. The open source don't compare. Except maybe the password managers which I haven't tried.
Could you point out the areas where LibreOffice 5.2 is lacking vs Microsoft Office?

ajdedo
Donator
Donator

Post by ajdedo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 pm

MS Office is just better. When you make a pivot table in excel, you can drag and drop the rows and columns right on the same page as the table results.

With Photoshop, there is nothing else out there that is comparable.

Open source is great for the casual user who does whatever for themselves, and I use it all the time when it comes to practically everything else. CD emulators, ISO mounters, HD Partitioners, Duplicate files finders, PDF readers and editors, etc... They're all open source. I have no doubt it will take over the world one day. But when it comes to the two I mentioned above, I prefer to use the Photoshop and MS Excel. And besides, since I'm not actually paying for it, what difference does it make?

maze438

Post by maze438 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:47 pm

ajdedo wrote:And besides, since I'm not actually paying for it, what difference does it make?
MS might be tolerating that kind of piracy precisely because 1) you wouldn't pay for the software anyway 2) having easy access to familiar software like Office removes any incentive for someone to try alternatives such as LibreOffice. OK, I'm done preaching ;-)

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:28 am

before christmas sounds good soporific. be nice to have a newer one for this old machine.
i guess an update stops hours of downloading to get the older image up to latest fixes.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:06 am

Regarding what goes into the apps library:

* I am reluctant to add programs that take up lots of space, for example, if I included MS Office 2010, it would add 2.24GB to the library size (including the updates) -- that's simply too big!! I WANT to, but we still don't live in a world where everyone has super-fast bandwidth to enjoy. More and more people don't have caps to worry about (e.g like me! I can't use all my allocated data, my D/L speed isn't fast enough to use it all) so I'm not so much worried about releasing an 8 GB project in total. I do, however, want to release the best possible apps library, which means I have to be smart about what gets in.
* If there is an installer that handles both 32-bit and 64-bit, that is what I have included in the library. So the library will still be somewhat useful on machines that already have a 32-bit OS.
* Please keep suggesting apps to go into the library, I will try to include them all.
* If you use a cracked version of a program that you want included, and I may not know where to grab it from, please upload it and send me a link.

Labrador4215
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by Labrador4215 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:52 am

@soporific When is your next release? I have a new install to do...

hrmwrm

WinBorg.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.March.(2015)-SOPORIFIC

Post by hrmwrm » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

there are enough versions of office and photoshop around to get one outside of this release, if you don't want to include such huge distributions. they do take up a fair amount of space.

soporific
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by soporific » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:37 am

hey guys, news: It looks like I won't make my xmas deadline, the apps library needs more work. Sorry! Instead of rushing, I plan on releasing Winborg 7 January 2017 as soon as it's ready. The earliest date is the 10th of Jan but I'm aiming for around about the 20th of Jan.

maze438

Post by maze438 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:34 am

Weird, it looks like my previous post was lost...
I was pointing out that LibreOffice is a 213 MB download, for 99% of the MS Office functionality.
See link in my post from Nov 17.
soporific wrote:hey guys, news: It looks like I won't make my xmas deadline, the apps library needs more work. Sorry!
Heya sop,

It's your baby, so you can do whatever floats your boat.
IMHO, the important part in the release is the OS, so (to me) it's strange to delay the OS for a few apps.
(I rarely use the bundled apps; maybe I'm missing out on great software, but such is life.)

Regards.
Last edited by maze438 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 pm

when it comes it comes. you have fans of your work here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”