Worried about Windows sending data about my files

Your computer feeling a lot slower lately? That new program you installed not working? Can't convert a specific file? Looking to buy a new hard drive or dvd writer? Would like some recommendations? Firewalls, latest threats and general P2P security issues are here also.
bsmith9

Worried about Windows sending data about my files

Post by bsmith9 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:15 am

I've been waiting to upgrade to Windows 10 mostly because of privacy concerns, but now, apparently, it doesn't matter which version of the OS you run. How worried should I be about Windows transmitting data about my specific files? While I'm concerned about those I may have come across in a :pir8 like manner, I'm also not thrilled about my personal tidbits potentially going places without my say-so.

Is there an easy fix? Is this much ado about nothing? Will I have to keep readjusting settings because of Windows 10's automatic updates? Etc., else?

As always, thanks a bunch!

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Re: Worried about Windows sending data about my files

Post by Will-I-Am » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 pm

He is one link, you can Google some more about Windows 10 telemetry and privacy.

How to: Turn Off Telemetry in Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/how- ... windows-10

jaabulon

Post by jaabulon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:02 am

there are tools available to disable a lot of windows 10 tracking features

im currently using spybot anti-beacon which disables a lot of stuff with just 1 click
there are other tools too .... a safe place to get them is majorgeeks ... watch the video first though.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/w ... fixes.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6sVjYLIooo

on a separate note i have had issues with games freezing as i screwed up my drivers some how with my windows 7 install
and seeing as im using a 4k monitor and a new gpu (r9 fury) and an 8 core cpu i decided to upgrade to windows 10 using a nearly new install of 7 (legitamate copy) i had on a seperate ssd
but apparently you should upgrade then once your hardware has been registered you should do a fresh install offline, install drivers ect then update .... typical of M$
to not mention this when you upgrade.
edit
seems the latest crimson drivers (16.2 beta) and a game update have fixed fo4 from crashing now .... just got to wait for my free copy of farcry primal and hitman to be available for download :D
Last edited by jaabulon on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsmith9

Post by bsmith9 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks!

shootercat
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by shootercat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:59 pm

If I use Winborg 7. I won't have to worry about this ? Right ?

Thanks

Will-I-Am
Donator
Donator

Post by Will-I-Am » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Wrong. Unless he changed Windows 7 telemetry and privacy, which I doubt.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:18 am

telemetry is still not in my w7. oem, fully updated. as long as it's not in the updates already installed on it, you could be safe from it.
i still don't have the win 10 nag and haven't stopped any updates yet. although i don't have auto going, and install only important.
you'd have to physically check if it's a running service first.

vanbursta
Newly registered user
Newly registered user

Post by vanbursta » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Don't worry, just don't use Windows 10, it's a big steaming pile of doggy doo dah anyway. I love the way Microsoft "listen" to their customer, then ignore them and do everything the Microsoft way anyway.

I would be interested to know hoe many of the 200 million installations have been done by the user and not MS.

dudeuk

Post by dudeuk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:27 am

as microsoft has been adding telemetry and possibly other stuff aswell to win 7 & 8 hotfixes
for windows 7 & 8 users i'd use
Spoiler: Toggle
for windows 10 users i'd use
Spoiler: Toggle
im going to start adding those to my windows 7 & 10 iso builds
Last edited by dudeuk on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

vultus

Post by vultus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 am

I am still using Win7 and therefore don't know anything about Win10, but I remember reading something about win10 being able to detect cracked exe and disabling the game/software.
Is there any truth in this?

jaabulon

Post by jaabulon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:34 am

vultus wrote:I am still using Win7 and therefore don't know anything about Win10, but I remember reading something about win10 being able to detect cracked exe and disabling the game/software.
Is there any truth in this?
i read that too but from my limited experience no it does not detect cracked exe's or disable software ...... i have been careful about installing cracked software on my windows 10 install so i
only have a few things installed ... vegas pro 13 (uses a patch application to crack) ableton live 9 (cracked exe and authorization patch) , and some software synths and fraps .... all work fine and i have had no issues ... so far.

i did some research (very quick) and it seems this claim is false ..... it only applies to software that you get from microsoft and their store, it does not apply to third party software.
so the standard method we have used for years ... block application with firewall should still work as it has done for years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Technical Support & Discussion”