Become a registered member and get smaller ads or none at all! 
 Login    Register
  • Author
Re: Unblock eMule in Windows 7

Postby xazam » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Usually the source of this kind off problem is the openning of ports (TCP and UDP) in windows firewall and / or your router.

The reply is just the copy of Windows 7 Help and Support page for "Windows firewall - Open a port in Windows Firewall":

Open a port in Windows Firewall

If Windows Firewall is blocking a program and you want to allow that program to communicate through the firewall, you can usually do that by selecting the program in the list of allowed programs (also called the exceptions list) in Windows Firewall. To learn how to do this, see Allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall.

However, if the program isn't listed, you might need to open a port. For example, to play a multiplayer game with friends online, you might need to open a port for the game so that the firewall allows the game information to reach your computer. A port stays open all the time, so be sure to close ports that you don't need open anymore.

Click to open Windows Firewall.

In the left pane, click Advanced settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security dialog box, in the left pane, click Inbound Rules, and then, in the right pane, click New Rule.

Follow the instructions in the New Inbound Rule wizard.

:v
xazam
Vicarious Learner
Vicarious Learner

Postby Tmax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:33 am

One problem I have seen is that after awhile even with this fix, kad will go fire-walled on its own. It basically shuts emule to a crawl at that point and usually does it when your not at your computer to remedy the situation. I removed a software firewall, still didn't help, even shut down the firewall in windows completely and it still doesn't help. I reinstalled the OS thinking perhaps a setting hadn't gotten changed. It still does it. I am not to worried about it at the moment but would like to eventually find a remedy so that this problem doesn't bother other users along the windows 7 corridor. I looked on this forum here for answers but its not cropping up anywhere, maybe someone else is having this issue but fixed it. Lets hope....
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby xazam » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:44 pm

It's also important to be sure to obtain a[b] stactic IP adress [/b]for your computer!
If you use a dinamyc IP adress you'll get a low ID in eMule, for sure.
xazam
Vicarious Learner
Vicarious Learner

Postby Tmax » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:47 am

This made absolutely no difference, I already had static ip's to begin with. No matter what I do kad eventually goes firewalled, and the speed of downloads drop to near nothing. Someone out there has to have a fix for this, if you know how please share that information because I will not fully upgrade to 7 until my emule works perfectly with it. I also think they need to do some fixes to emule as well, I do not believe this is just a Win7 issue. I do like Windows 7 now that i got it working, still has some issues with video but I can work around those issues. Come on folks share your fixes with us for EMULE.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby PARADoX » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:25 pm

A dynamic or static IP doesn't matter. Use TCP/UDP port numbers in the higher range. Are the TCP and UDP ports in your router open (forwarded)? UPnP switched off?
PARADoX
Senior Mule
Senior Mule

Postby Tmax » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I have no router, since i pay for static ips anyways i tried the higher ports, and still does the same thing. I can not effectivly find a fix for this on the net either, all search results lead to zip, and or to other people asking the same thing i am.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby PARADoX » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Tmax wrote:I have no router, since i pay for static ips anyways i tried the higher ports ...

What is with UPnP? On or off? Have you tried another mod besides the official emule client?
PARADoX
Senior Mule
Senior Mule

Postby Tmax » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:08 pm

I refuse to use a mod client, stick with the original if you want the best. However from the last post, UPNP is disabled, and is one of the first things i disable in all windows versions. I have tried just about everything recommended out there. I got friends with the same issue, and they are 10x smarter then i am, some of them even code in emule and can not get it to properly work under windows 7. They have not given up on it, but I know and the odds bear this out, that someone knows how to kill the problem, but just haven't talked to us yet. If i could find a mod that worked well with kad and ed2k simultaneously, and have obfuscation maybe i would consider it. I don't mean to sound complaining, as i know someone will come up with something. I will just continue using 7 as a test bed, and xp as my primary till a fix is found that actually works for me. For now i wait.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby gravi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Disable uPnP in Emule, open 1 UDP and one TCP in whatever hardware you use to connect to the internet and link it to the IP address of the PC that you use to download with, make sure that 7 itself is not blocking the program.
And forget static IP addresses of the internet, what you need to do is link a certain internal IP address to the ports, so for instance 192.168.1.100 with ports TCP4888 and UDP4888, been doing it like this since 2000, it never, I repeat NEVER failed me :)
A lot of routers have 2 pages for port forwarding, make sure you use the page where you can link the ports to internal IP addresses.
gravi
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby Tmax » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:05 am

See this is where most aren't getting it. I have no router, no splits to anything, its a direct connection to the internet via static ip, besides there was and is no need to do this under windows xp except standardized port forwarding, why would this be so necessary in 7, explain that and perhaps your above post would make more sense, at least to me anyways. As I said I got friends 10x smarter then me working on this issue, and they said your post was well worded but doesn't work. At least for the problem we are experiencing. If it works for you that's great, but attaching ports to internal IP's is a route most would avoid simply because they want some anonymity. I know my isp regularly monitors, that's why I use the original emule, with obfuscation and ip filtering. Disabled UPNP in more then just emule, I disable that in every version of windows on install, and I regularly check to make sure no programs have turned it back on. I have been using emule since it was created, and this is the first time I've had issue with it under windows. I have no hubs/routers/gateways or anything that has the address 192.168.1.100 and never have and never will. Routers in this technicians view are evil. Been in this industry for 30 years and not once have I found where they provide any protection above and beyond due diligence with a computer such as firewalls and a decent anti-virus (this does not include Norton, or Mcafee, or Panda!). If you have a decent ISP like mine they provide you with as many connections as you need. However I've only needed 1 so I have a direct connection to the modem which is an Arris, about 30 days old by the manufacturers date. It's brand new and from factory specs it’s a modem only. If I had a router maybe this would work, but alas I don't and I shall have to remain patient tills said fix is posted. Thanks.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby viewbr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:44 pm

I have had similar problems. One day it started when using Vista, Using Emule port check, it said my ports were blocked, I tried every trick I could find and none worked.
Finally I changed Emule to a higher port number after trial and error with lower port numbers and 3333 fixed the problem. After a few months the problem reappeared so
I finally turned on Protocol Obfuscation and the problem was solved thereafter.

When I upgraded to Win 7 ultimate the problem soon reappeared again, the only thing that worked was going to a higher port number, then rebooting the computer.

In short, each time this occurred I tried every trick possible. I never did actually come to a clear understanding as to why this was happening other than with Vista I assumed my ISP was blocking ports. But with windows 7 it seemed to be something else, so the port change and reboot was my final solution and if I remember correctly I had to try a few different port numbers.
viewbr
Vicarious Learner
Vicarious Learner

Postby Tmax » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Exactly, it is exactly that. I have tried the higher ports and the resets etc. still nothing that worked, i am gonna start trying some more higher ports. I tried over 2 dozen, but apparently not enough. I will start kicking it if i can't get it to work properly. only 65300 to go, and if i take away all known used ports that means about 65250 to still check yet. Good lord i am gonna be busy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby Tmax » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:44 am

Problem Solved: :D While the port thing was an issue, it wasn't the root of it. I found that when my anti-virus which contains a firewall would update, Windows 7 action center would see that I was unprotected and automatically activate the windows firewall in the background. Yes folks I checked 5 times to make sure this was it. Anyways, I went in and killed the windows firewall again, and Kad would go back to normal operations. Also emule sped up 1000% I also terminated action center notices, as well as changed the update schedule of my anti-virus from 3 hrs to every 48 just in case. I have now been running since before Christmas without a single error. Found the best ports to use are between 25000 and 39999 going higher it has issues; going lower the same issues or it just wouldn't connect to those ports or it would connect with low ID. I use Trend Micro-systems Internet Security 2010 just so ya know what I am using. I have Win7x64 with standard emule 0.49c, on a digital fiber optic connection. I assume there will be other issues down the road, and or that when my av updates it will send my emule into a tissy, but at least I now know what causes it. It might not be the root of your problem. Thanks everyone for your assistance. :clap :clap :clap
Last edited by Tmax on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby deadbodyman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 am

Good job....what AV are you using? :?
deadbodyman
Software Agent
Software Agent

Postby Tmax » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 pm

Trend Microsystems Internet Security 2010, I believe I already said that. I have been looking for a new firewall though, something similar to the old sygate man do I miss that program some times. Hope this helps.

Rock n Rollin at The Speed of Light, that's not a moon it's a space station!!!!!!
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby deadbodyman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Tmax wrote:Trend Microsystems Internet Security 2010, I believe I already said that.

Ooops. :oops: :whistle
deadbodyman
Software Agent
Software Agent

Postby Tmax » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am

Merrily trucking along at fiber optic speed, that's no moon it's a space station :samurai ..... No further issues, ports best served now are 31000 to 39999 I am an extensive tester, and I tested a few ports on either side and immediately kad went yellow, change the ports to above and voila. :? I have some friends however that were able to use any port, and still some friends that can't use any :( Different isp or something is the only thing that's different. They have very similar setups to mine. Just wanted to let ya know though I have still not died out of the blue yet. Only at my own hands and my tinkering killed me. Again thank you all for helping. If anyone needs to know my exact settings i would be more then willing to share the configuration I use. I do not use a mod client so don't ask. Thanks guys :D
Last edited by Tmax on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby Tmax » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:53 am

Guess i better bring this up to date, I am still trucking along nicely with no issues since i changed to the port range listed in my last post, however i have gotten some email and notes regarding others can't seem to get it to work. As i state above this doesn't work for everyone, and i have no clue why it works for me on this system. However i have an identical computer with identical setups except hdd size with emule installed on another network thru same isp and i can not get it to work with trend micro at all. I started using private firewall 7.0 you can get it on the Cnet site, its free, easily configured and works better then most anti virus/firewall setups. It also works better then zone alarm which i personally find a piece of crap and far more dangerous then helpful. PFW7 works great as a 2 way firewall. Give it a try and as always its a try at your own risk type software, free is not necessarily better for some. The testing i did also proved that no matter what Emule your using mod client or the standard emule, the issue with the firewalls remains the same unfortunately. I am always testing things, perhaps i will find a fix that covers everyone. :v
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby daddymikey1975 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

My wife has been having problems w/ Windows 7 and emule..

I installed Win7 home premium.. went through emule setup, PIP filters (I'm a bit 'noid hahaha) .. static IP, port forwarding.. emule runs quickly.. for a little while.. eventually, her computer gives her the blue screen of death, with some type of errors on it (she can't recall what they are) and it shuts down and automatically does a system restore back to last week sometime..

She's sure it's emule related because she set it all up again and after running for about 30 minutes, it crashes out again.. with no emule running her computer stays on for days..

Any ideas ?? We're using the 0.49c release of emule if it matters...

Thanks for any help :)
daddymikey1975
Donator
Donator

Postby Alkohol » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:28 pm

daddymikey1975 wrote:My wife has been having problems w/ Windows 7 and emule..

I installed Win7 home premium.. went through emule setup, PIP filters (I'm a bit 'noid hahaha) .. static IP, port forwarding.. emule runs quickly.. for a little while.. eventually, her computer gives her the blue screen of death, with some type of errors on it (she can't recall what they are) and it shuts down and automatically does a system restore back to last week sometime..

She's sure it's emule related because she set it all up again and after running for about 30 minutes, it crashes out again.. with no emule running her computer stays on for days..

Any ideas ?? We're using the 0.49c release of emule if it matters...

Thanks for any help :)

Sounds like your HD is dying mate.
Alkohol
Audio Sage
Audio Sage

Postby Tmax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 am

The problem listed above is not related to the windows 7 and emule connection issue, however the error your experiencing is not uncommon. It is generally a hardware issue, ranging from hdd to memory to cdrom even. You can take your pick on which one it would be. If its only after you install emule then i would say its generally the memory that's giving you sass as emule can use a lot of it. Try running the computer for awhile without emule and see if it crashes again. It may be that emule is pushing is just over the limit into the error state, while regular operations aren't. Also lack of memory or not enough memory can be a cause.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby discboy321 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am

Last edited by discboy321 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
discboy321
Community Citizen
Community Citizen

Postby deadbodyman » Wed May 05, 2010 8:45 am

discoboy.....have you solved this problem? :?:
deadbodyman
Software Agent
Software Agent

Postby discboy321 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Last edited by discboy321 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
discboy321
Community Citizen
Community Citizen

Postby Alkohol » Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 pm

discboy have you tried enabling this option?

Alkohol
Audio Sage
Audio Sage

Postby Tmax » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Emule .50a is designed to run well, however its other programs that don't like it much. Windows 7 detests emule with a passion, and it took me a few moons to figure out exactly what my causes were, and then the work arounds to get past them. Emule setup should be setup for a single user preferred, and store your config and download directories on the same drive and directory emule was installed to. Your choices greatly effect how emule with run, and how well it will do that running. Emule is going to do its best work when everything is in the default directory, simply it almost seems to work faster that way. I have tried installing to another directory but storing elsewhere never worked out for me with windows 7 installed. I am no expert, however i have been using emule since its release to public, and honest to god, its the best program on the planet, if you can get it to do what you want. The above posts deal with configuration issues not actually dealing with the posts original premise, of connection issues. It is nice to see that people are still asking questions. I used to know a few techs that worked on this program full time, even i contributed a thing or two to its development, however windows 7 gave me serious pause when it would suddenly lock me out of emule, or cause emule to go firewalled, or simply and utterly toss emule offline and close it. Emule works best with the default settings in win7 environment, very few changes actually need to be made to the program other then setting up your ports, port forwarding, and your connection type, and its speed. Then let her run. I had to install a separate firewall to get around my firewalled issue, and had to turn off my anti-virus built in firewall as well. I setup other security measures to accommodate the lack of said items. I'm old, and have seen a lot of things come and go in windows, but its strange that win7 is the only one that firewalls your ass without asking first! It rather ticked me off. That on board hunk of junk they been trying to force down our throats with force since XP, eeek! So if you have remaining questions feel free to ask. I have been working now steady for almost a year with no continued or recurring issues. Have a great day.
Tmax
Donator
Donator

Postby coffinvn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:41 am

Hello! I have the same issue like you but my AV is Norton-Anti Virus. I already disable it as well as allow it in microsoft firewall. I can connect into ed2k but Kad. Plz help! Thanks in advange!
coffinvn
Network Newbie
Network Newbie

Postby yosefjosef » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 am

Whew!
Thought I'd share some of my troubles and resolution of this problem.
Thanks, everyone, esp. Tmax for making this a long string

1. make sure the ports/rules for your router aren't duplicates shared with another computer in your household.

2. uninstall/re install emule

3. right click the installer file, and unblock it (bottom of menu)

4. run the installer as administrator

5. choose the recommended set-up of emule; "each user his own..." the first option (of three)

6. Go to the emule app. in program folder, right click, select "run as administrator"

7. Of course, double check emule is in your allowed programs in firewall.
i did not have to open ports in the firewall, just the router.

Mostly, it seems that what affects this issue, and what's different Windows 7, is how the 'security action center' interacts with your security software, and especially user status; administrator or what have you. This is different from XP.

I have a Verizon router, no issues with tcp/udp ranges, Microsoft security essentials firewall, and v.050a emule with all green lights!

Definitely keep the tinkering simple and straight forward, the solution that fixes it always seems much less complicated than it first appears!
Goodluck
yosefjosef
Network Newbie
Network Newbie

Return to Technical Support & Discussion